It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea 'hackers steal US-South Korea war plans'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Oooops.
The news comes from Rhee Cheol-hee a member of the ruling party of South Korea's defence committee , according to Mr hee some 235 gigabytes of military documents had been taken in the hack which happened last September , Mr Hee says the documents included information on strategic targets like power plants and military facilities in the South , information on allies senior commanders and a plan to assassinate North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un.

Mr Hee also said only 20% of the hacked files have been identified although the South Korean defence ministry has refused to comment and the North denied the claim.... well , they would wouldn't they.

Plans for the South's special forces were reportedly accessed, along with information on significant power plants and military facilities in the South. Mr Rhee belongs to South Korea's ruling party, and sits on its parliament's defence committee.

He said some 235 gigabytes of military documents had been stolen from the Defence Integrated Data Centre, and that 80% of them have yet to be identified. The hack took place in September last year. In May, South Korea said a large amount of data had been stolen and that North Korea may have instigated the cyber attack - but gave no details of what was taken.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency reports that Seoul has been subject to a barrage of cyber attacks by its communist neighbour in recent years, with many targeting government websites and facilities
www.bbc.co.uk...

235 gigabytes is a lot of information , I wonder what else they got.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Again. This is at least the second time they got 5051. They apparently just update it and stick it back on the server to get hacked.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Starcraft 2 strategies and K Pop downloads...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I was about to post this. We should be careful about underestimating North Korea.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Hacks like this certainly change things up.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Technology is about the only real asset NK have-but it is a mighty powerful one. SK needs to be more vigilant as do we in sharing with SK.

This could possibly be false info SK leaked to them. Pastime the US Navy Seals took care of the NK problem; specifically Kim et al. but for some reason; Deep State, that's not happening. And now Kissinger is visiting Trump-to tell him what to do-and he will or perish and he knows it.

edit on 10-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
US need to join up with Russia and China and force NK on its knees..

Without Russia and China.. a bigger threat hides in the shadows

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I bit quick to blame it on NK when there apparently is no evidence, I think. I´m not saying that it could not be NK, but everyone with a little knowledge can route through different countries and I expect, if it was NK, that they did do that too.

So where is the evidence? If there was substantial evidence they would not be shy to provide it.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

From last year:

A US Army general says North Korea has some of the world's best hackers

North Korea has approximately 6,000 trained hackers in its military ranks, a defector from the country told the BBC. The defector taught computer science at a Pyongyang University and said many of his former students went on to the hacking unit known as Bureau 121.

See also: North Korean hackers 'could kill', warns key defector

...He estimated that between 10% to 20% of the regime's military budget is being spent on online operations.

Nope. Shouldn't be underestimated at all.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Anyone tell me why sensitive information isn't air gapped ?

They know the score.

Military and state secrets should not be getting out period.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You have no idea. Security with a lot of this information is a joke. A couple of big programs were mined this year, fortunately by one of our people, using a simple indexing type program like you'd find from Google.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The air gap did zero damage prevention when stuxx hit the iranian centrifuges some years ago. And it can be done the other way around, too.

Also, the idea of that database, any database, is that it has to be accessible. If you need to copy around the data via manual means like in an airgapped situation it defeats the purpose. The humans are the weak point in the link.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Why would military documents be available on a network connect to the open Internet? Sounds like this was intended to be found.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

No, it's just more piss poor security. There's a reason the Pentagon is losing their mind over how bad our cyber systems are. You wouldn't believe the stuff you can find easily on some of these computers.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Who said it was the open internet? It could have been an internal network like the US military uses but compromised by wrong network structure and protocolls.

I could have been human error, all we know yet is what BBC want´s us to believe. People jump to conclusions way too far.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The air gap did zero damage prevention when stuxx hit the iranian centrifuges some years ago. And it can be done the other way around, too.

It worked the way it was suppose to.

Stuxx was done by a physical break.

Few people should have access, and information compartmentalize, and 'need to know'

No one person has complete access.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Please define "physical break".

Stuxx was done by hopping the air gap via portable data storage devices AFAIK.

It can be the other way around, too, I repeat.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Please define "physical break".

My understanding was a technician was compromised and the used to infect the system.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

An SF86 list was compromised recently, because the person processing it plugged their personal external hard drive into the computer he was using and left it plugged in for several days.

I've heard of people putting their personal, non-work related stuff into secure networks so get can fiddle with it at lunch or when they aren't doing anything, plugging USB devices in, etc.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

An SF86 list was compromised recently, because the person processing it plugged their personal external hard drive into the computer he was using and left it plugged in for several days.

They also use p2p and torrenting.

Basically a lot of snip that should not be happening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join