It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Krazysh0t
If the "it" you are speaking about is death threats then yes, I think any sane person would agree they are illegal and unacceptable no matter who sends them.
When did illegal activity become a partisan issue? Wrong is wrong no matter who you are.

I'm not entirely sure they are illegal though...

So it is wrong for conservatives to attempt to stifle free speech, but ok for the students at a university to?
Sorry that makes no sense to me.
Booking an unpopular speaker is EXACTLY what free speech is for.

True, but the point of a speaker is for people to listen to them. Not create protests. Why book someone that will make people upset? For clarity sake, if the students were conservative and at a conservative university, I would agree with them refusing to book a liberal speaker too. True. The university has every right to book the speaker anyways, but they institution and even the speaker themselves could be prepared for some blow back. Poking a bear IS going to get an angry response even if you are allowed to do it.

So to add to my original premise, we need to honor consistency. If we are calling out students for protesting speakers at campuses then we need to call out internet warriors sending death threats to liberal speakers for speaking their opinions. If we aren't calling them out then we don't need to call out the other.

link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Gryphon66

No but it is racist to imply that all males of a race are racist and sexist. What he's saying is clear. Same tactic Stormfront folks use to get out their message.

What he's saying is his opinion.

When you say "what he's saying is clear" that's yours.

Further, I don't think you can quote him saying that all white men are racist and sexist ... can you?

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I don't hate you. I don't even know you.

Yet you pretend to speak for me, my intelligence, or my wishes. Weird huh?

Your condescension is betrayed only by your childish double standards, which flip and flop according to your equally childish feelings.

People receive death threats all the time, not to mention de-platformed by mobs, ostracized, fired, and dehumanized out of the public sphere for years. Where have you been?

Don't be coy. Are people getting death threats in response to things they said trying to silence them or not? Does this cross partisan lines or doesn't it? THAT is my message in the OP.

Yes, death threats is censorial by nature. If the threats are real, and I would give him the benefit of the doubt, then there is an obvious attempt to troll and perhaps censor. Of course, none of this leads to his conclusion.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Drexel University, in response to the activities of "right wingers" has shut down Ciccariello-Maher's class. He has been silenced. His students are deprived of his services.

There is zero way that this situation is not directly comparable to any rational person to what has happened at Berkeley, etc.

Wait what? Did you even read it...lol geez...

Drexel has chosen to place me on administrative leave

How did you read this and then come up with your statement above. It was his choice...he asked for it...he went off to his safe room I guess... he only silenced himself...

Get real

Like I said ... you're way off today.

He didn't "ask for it" ... and he's not happy about being sidelined.

By bowing to pressure from racist internet trolls, Drexel has sent the wrong signal: That you can control a university’s curriculum with anonymous threats of violence. Such cowardice notwithstanding, I am prepared to take all necessary legal action to protect my academic freedom, tenure rights and most importantly, the rights of my students to learn in a safe environment where threats don’t hold sway over intellectual debate.

Duh.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

What he implied is clear to me and like I said, I've seen the same kind of wordplay from White Supremacists when speaking about Blacks. Neither one see's themselves as what they really are.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You know what he meant and so do I. It's a common message these days. White Supremacists engage in the exact same kind of wordplay when talking about Blacks.

I really don't care to read too far into his words. The way I read it he isn't calling whites racist. You can disagree and that is fine, but that isn't the subject of this conversation.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

Actually the OP article wanted to paint that picture. My goal was merely to get people to admit that it happens from both sides of the political aisle.

Of course it does, who would say otherwise. Today though I have more concerns with antifa, anarchist and protests that lead to violence than a few crazy arm chair small minded haters testing their Epen. When 15,000 show up to protest freedom of speech without even knowing what the speech is about worries me... Epen warriors not so much.

edit on 10-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What he implied is clear to me and like I said, I've seen the same kind of wordplay from White Supremacists when speaking about Blacks. Neither one see's themselves as what they really are.

Right, and I'm not trying to be dismissive of your opinion. I'm just pointing out that he is expressing his opinion about White male privilege, and you are expressing your opinion about that statement.

Further, there is zero doubt that there is a "patriarchy' in this county that obtains to the majority of positions of authority in virtually every facet of our lives. That's just a fact.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

How many? You tell me. How many "ANTIFA" are violent anarchists?

Well if they follow their tenant, then all are violent... My personal opinion is they are more anarchists than left...

Oh please. Shutting down highways are the current actions by groups of people ... that don't even qualify as "left" as much as Nazis do as "right."

Not sure what you are saying here. Are Nazis also shutting down highways?

You can't link "ANTIFA" or "BLM" to the Democrats ... which is the sum total of what most of you mean by "left."

Are they right wingers? you tell me

edit on 10-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Again, you may find that reasonable like the author of the piece clearly seems to, but most people do not.

White supremacists in power? Really? Are you simply conflating skin color with assumed feelings of racial superiority or perhaps you are conflating political affiliation with feelings of racial superiority which seems to happen quite often with some on the left.

You may find misandry to be a PC term, but it is in the dictionary. So I will continue to use it to characterize a dislike of or prejudice against men.

However, if attempting to discuss the language employed in a piece by an author is no off limits because it I must simply accept/agree with the opinion of the author ... then no discussion on any written anything is possible.

Congrats! You have just put literary critics out of a job.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Of course you won't.
But you'll post this pile of excrement as "proof" the right is shutting down free speech.
You're hopeless.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

See. I would have agreed with you too before the recent election, but it really looks like internet warriors helped catapult Trump to the Presidency based on fake news implanted by Russia and professional fake trolls.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Right, and I'm not trying to be dismissive of your opinion. I'm just pointing out that he is expressing his opinion about White male privilege, and you are expressing your opinion about that statement.

Further, there is zero doubt that there is a "patriarchy' in this county that obtains to the majority of positions of authority in virtually every facet of our lives. That's just a fact.

No one is saying he didn't have a right to express that opinion, but when you express an opinion that is inflammatory, then you can also expect blowback.

Isn't that what you keep telling us? But there is a real difference between receiving verbal blowback like we often do here from others on this forum ... weren't you the one who just denigrated me as a triggered snowflake? ... and rioting mobs seeking to actively impede speeches or doxxing or SWATing or other similar things.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Again, you don't speak for most people.

You can't even manage to speak logically on your own behalf as you deploy fallacy after fallacy.

You will not find me saying that the patriarchy is "White supremacist."

You will not find me saying that I agree with everything that Dr. Ciccariello-Maher said in his article.

Many PC terms are in the dictionary; what's your point? Use it as you wish, you're a very PC writer.

You were attempting to discuss your opinion of an opinion piece. Now you are trying to talk about me.

Badly and dishonestly.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Yes death threats are illegal.

True, but the point of a speaker is for people to listen to them. Not create protests. Why book someone that will make people upset? For clarity sake, if the students were conservative and at a conservative university, I would agree with them refusing to book a liberal speaker too. True. The university has every right to book the speaker anyways, but they institution and even the speaker themselves could be prepared for some blow back. Poking a bear IS going to get an angry response even if you are allowed to do it. So to add to my original premise, we need to honor consistency. If we are calling out students for protesting speakers at campuses then we need to call out internet warriors sending death threats to liberal speakers for speaking their opinions. If we aren't calling them out then we don't need to call out the other.

Why should students NOT protest speakers they disagree with?
They should LEGALLY protest speakers they don't want on their campus. The key word being LEGALLY.
Tax funded schools should in no way censor speech.
For crying out loud that is why the kids are there; to learn about life. Perhaps to learn the proper and legal non violent way to deal with something they disagree with.
Nothing gets fixed if you put it in a box and hide it from everyone.
Sunshine is always the best disinfectant.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

The students are there to take classes and acquire a major. Not attend speaking events. Those are just a bonus you get while attending.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

Thank you for your opinion.

Mine, and others, greatly differ.

So what?

Hey, how did YOU KNOW what escaped my lips when I read your opinion??????

Can we be brothers now? I feel SOOOOO close to you

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

You keep saying "follow their tenant" ... do you mean follow their tenets?

I agree with you about the "ANTIFA" general philosophy being anarchist. However, in the real sense of the term, "anarchists" are left ... liberals and progressives and Democrats, particularly in this country, are pretty much found between center right and moderate.

You're claiming that "shutting down highways" is accomplished by those on the left. I disagree. Those who are shutting down highways are activists for a certain cause ... which is neither right nor left.

Right Wingers? Semantics. They're acting authoritarian and attempting to control what others do and say when they pull those stunts.

/shrug

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

The students are there to take classes and acquire a major. Not attend speaking events. Those are just a bonus you get while attending.

So now its " no speaking events at all"?

Wow
Congrats on your own brand of censorship.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Thank you for your opinion.

Mine, and others, greatly differ.

So what?

Hey, how did YOU KNOW what escaped my lips when I read your opinion??????

Can we be brothers now? I feel SOOOOO close to you

Peachy.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join