It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They don't (or should I say some) don't like to admit anything. They have a reputation of deflecting or attacking opposing views if doesn't fit their conservative narrative.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Yeah... True, but I can only combat this with knowledge and facts. Trying to sink to their level and fight them only calcifies their resistance.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Well that's why I side with a university's right to decide on if someone should speak there or not.

That is wonderful if it is a private university and accepts no funding from the government.
If it is a public university is it not an extension of the government?

You tell me. Do you agree with conservatives sending death threats to speakers to get them not to speak at a publicly funded university?

What do death threats have to do with free speech?
If a school accepts tax money it should not get to censor speech. Period.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

This thread is about conservatives sending death threats and other hatred at would be speakers or people who have written opinion pieces trying to silence them. If you didn't understand that then I suggest going back and rereading the OP. This topic should be right up your alley too, since you like pointing out injustices towards free speech. That is assuming you aren't going to be blindly partisan about your opinion though.

Of course it is. You wouldn't dare write a thread about the massive list of speakers disinvited and threatened by your tribe.

Yes threats are an attempt to censor. So show me one single death threat.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Remember just a few short weeks ago when death threats were in vogue ?

People took to the streets and dish out some social justice against 'white supremacists'.

How short their memories are.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Remember just a few short weeks ago when death threats were in vogue ?

People took to the streets and dish out some social justice against 'white supremacists'.

How short their memories are.

yes, bomb threats, death threats, threats of all kind. This has been boing on for years now. It's a little too late to stand up for free speech, that the author and the OP are simply revealing their double standards.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Well that's why I side with a university's right to decide on if someone should speak there or not.

That is wonderful if it is a private university and accepts no funding from the government.

You tell me. Do you agree with conservatives sending death threats to speakers to get them not to speak at a publicly funded university?

Do you not see the parallels between liberals protesting on campus to get speakers not to speak and complaining about how that is stifling free speech and conservatives sending death threads to get speakers not to speak?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The article author in the OP wrote a few that he received in the article. How about starting by reading that?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The article author in the OP wrote a few that he received in the article. How about starting by reading that?

Are they mean tweets? Letters? Emails? Show me one.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I did do that when I copy and pasted it into the OP. Be a big boy, click on the double less than arrow link at the bottom or top of the screen to get to the first page of the thread and read the OP. I know you are capable.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I did do that when I copy and pasted it into the OP. Be a big boy, click on the double greater than arrow link at the bottom or top of the screen to get to the first page of the thread and read the OP. I know you are capable.

Your condescension is betrayed only by your childish double standards, which flip and flop according to your equally childish feelings.

You copy and pasted someone's anecdotes, minus statistics, facts, or any other evidence, and passed it off as thought policing and squashing academic freedom. Bravo.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Well, if you treated me with more respect on a regular basis then maybe I'd adhere to your requests, but since you don't then I will just direct you to where it was originally posted. Is it petty? Probably? But I don't care, you clearly are resisting talking about my thread topic as much as possible anyways, which makes me believe that you were never sincere about standing up for free speech. This particular post, for instance, you chose to ad hominem me because I won't report something I already posted in the thread.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Well, if you treated me with more respect on a regular basis then maybe I'd adhere to your requests, but since you don't then I will just direct you to where it was originally posted. Is it petty? Probably? But I don't care, you clearly are resisting talking about my thread topic as much as possible anyways, which makes me believe that you were never sincere about standing up for free speech. This particular post, for instance, you chose to ad hominem me because I won't report something I already posted in the thread.

I don't respect relativist, unprincipled nonsense. I suspect it.

I'm clearly talking about your thread topic, which, without evidence, is taken on faith alone, not to mention accusatory, inflammatory, and false on its face.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Lol. Do you HONESTLY believe that people aren't receiving death threats for their opinions? Are you really trying to be THAT naive so you don't have to agree with me? You are hilarious in your hatred of me.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It's okay Krazy, if you notice some folks have a few pat responses in every situation.

These types of posts don't evince thinking -- they are merely garden-variety regurgitant.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Lol. Do you HONESTLY believe that people aren't receiving death threats for their opinions? Are you really trying to be THAT naive so you don't have to agree with me? You are hilarious in your hatred of me.

I don't hate you. I don't even know you.

People receive death threats all the time, not to mention de-platformed by mobs, ostracized, fired, and dehumanized out of the public sphere for years. Where have you been?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Do you not see the parallels between liberals protesting on campus to get speakers not to speak and complaining about how that is stifling free speech and conservatives sending death threads to get speakers not to speak?

Last I knew, protesting ,with the proper paperwork, is legal; and sending a death threat is not. I do not see any parallel.

You still haven't answered the question about universities that accept tax dollars not being allowed to censor free speech.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I don't hate you. I don't even know you.

Yet you pretend to speak for me, my intelligence, or my wishes. Weird huh?

Your condescension is betrayed only by your childish double standards, which flip and flop according to your equally childish feelings.

People receive death threats all the time, not to mention de-platformed by mobs, ostracized, fired, and dehumanized out of the public sphere for years. Where have you been?

Don't be coy. Are people getting death threats in response to things they said trying to silence them or not? Does this cross partisan lines or doesn't it? THAT is my message in the OP.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Then why did you even respond to the thread in the first place? Your opinion about my source is unnecessary, and if you didn't read it you are admitting ignorance of my thread topic. Clearly you don't need to be here.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.

You offer a source you find perfectly reasonable to your personal schema. Another poster offers a counterpoint that you automatically dismiss for superficial reasons not at all related to content of said source.

Now you get your nose bent all out of shape because a third poster essentially does the same thing to your source that you did to someone else's.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for continuing an argument that began and ended on page 1. Nothing like re dredging up Offtopic bull# to refrain from discussing the OP. Thanks ketsuko, keep reaching for that low fruit!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join