It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I'll pass. I make a point not to watch silly propaganda "documentaries" on Youtube. Thanks for trying to derail my thread with an irrelevant deflection though.

But you make a point to post an opinion piece, and you stand by that???

LMFAO. You're kidding us, right??

The video is an irrelevant deflection?? How do you know if you didn't watch it??

What a piece of.... work, you are!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Look bud, the right isn't going to acknowledge anything written by the left, Trump has already crossed that bridge for them.

This is falling on deaf ears, your better off talking to those with no kind of partisan affiliation to get your point across, all they are going to do is point to left, repeat what you said without mentioning what your talking about.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: intrepid

So we're back to only discussing what's wrong on the Left?

Pence is left? Damn, I gotta get out more.

You found none of the points in the OP worth discussing? Unless you're just hung up on the title... it's not a "I know you are but what am I?" OP.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

: Why are these crimes almost always carried out by white men? “It’s the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid,” I tweeted, before then diagnosing a sense of double entitlement — as white people and as men — that, when frustrated, can occasionally lead to violent consequences.

A moron that clearly ignoring the hell out of places like Chicago done by people that are not white.

Academic freedom?

You mean the freedom to straight out lie.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

So we're back to only discussing what's wrong on the Left?

Pence is left? Damn, I gotta get out more.

You found none of the points in the OP worth discussing? Unless you're just hung up on the title... it's not a "I know you are but what am I?" OP.

Sure it is. It's an opinion piece. No validity.

Secondly:

originally posted by: six67seven

LMFAO. You're kidding us, right??

As long as there's this attitude of "us" there's going to be no improvement in the US.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Wow.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I do read your posts carefully.

That is how I realize you’re not posting at your usual quality.

Your main point is to minimize anything negative on “the right” and maximize negatives on “the left.”

You’re doing their job for them.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Well that's why I side with a university's right to decide on if someone should speak there or not. Ultimately, students should be involved with that decision making process as well. If students don't want to hear that speaker then the university shouldn't be booking them. As you said, speaking off campus would be the preferable alternative, but colleges have conference halls for a reason. Many top scientists use colleges and universities to get their ideas out among their peers. The problem is that university speaking itself is WAY too politicized at the moment. I'm not sure how to fix that problem though...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So the death threats, threats of violence, the mashing up of social media posts to make people look like they said things they didn't... none of it worth discussing?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Logically speaking, in order to prove the statement "Some conservatives engage in free speech suppression" all I need is a singular anecdote. Which is mostly what I'm doing.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You only want to consider an uptick in political violence only in the last three years? Why?
Sounds like obfuscating data to me. Shouldn't you track an uptick in political violence from when the trend started? Perhaps even slightly before hand to get the original baseline?

I was thinking what is affecting us today, right now... What do we see today, now if you feel the need to go back to the 60s lets say then so be it.

That still doesn't mean you ignore where the trend started. Statistics should be honest, not cropped to show a message you want to show. All your data would show is that this issue is partisan polarized.

Remember BLM, 99%ers etc all started under Obama. I think the 99%ers just changed their name to Antifa once Trump took over, but I would bet it is mainly the same people that tend to be more of an anarchists movement in my view.

I also remember the Tea Party, the Nature Preserve Standoff, the Highway standoff, and a surge of right wing extremists under Obama too.

One thing to think about is it always comes down to numbers in what actually affects us as a society...How many and what frequency.

It comes down to people wanting to have any integrity and looking at all sides of an argument instead of just their own.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Sure. Them too. Trump has exercised that freedom 1318 times since assuming office.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Nothing wrong with discussing opinion. The problem is when you try to pass it off as factual.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Sure. Them too. Trump has exercised that freedom 1318 times since assuming office.

Nice!

Trolling your own thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

He compares the criticism of the right to the blatant censorship of the left in a feat of pretzel logic. You know the old cliché, If he doesn't like the heat he should stay out of the kitchen. But no, because his ideas are challenged by other ideas does not make the others the thought police. It's a nonsense article.

Here's some real stats for you:

FIRE Disinvitation database
edit on 10-10-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Leveling death threats at people is "challenging ideas"?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well that's why I side with a university's right to decide on if someone should speak there or not.

That is wonderful if it is a private university and accepts no funding from the government.
If it is a public university is it not an extension of the government?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Well that's why I side with a university's right to decide on if someone should speak there or not.

That is wonderful if it is a private university and accepts no funding from the government.
If it is a public university is it not an extension of the government?

You tell me. Do you agree with conservatives sending death threats to speakers to get them not to speak at a publicly funded university?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No. But writing critical articles is.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

No. But writing critical articles is.

This thread is about conservatives sending death threats and other hatred at would be speakers or people who have written opinion pieces trying to silence them. If you didn't understand that then I suggest going back and rereading the OP. This topic should be right up your alley too, since you like pointing out injustices towards free speech. That is assuming you aren't going to be blindly partisan about your opinion though.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join