It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

feel like such an undertaking would be a dangerous slippery slope. I barely tolerate the "don't yell fire in a crowded theater" rule.

You're correct, it is a slippery slope, but honestly..........just how much inciteful language be allowed? At some point its no longer "educational" or inspiring or challenging.....its just plain hateful. Look at it this way, assume for a minute you're the President of What's it University and you're primary concern is successful graduation rate of reasonably competent people in pertinent fields useful to employers across the US. At what point are your goals frustrated because people are thrown into a state of near "shut-down" because some nutter is speaking regularly that its o.k. to kill people because of the color of their skin? In Curry's case, white people. What if he'd been a white professor stating that at some point its o.k. to kill black people?

So the question becomes one of an atmosphere of fear and loathing disrupting the education process. In Missouri State's case its now a question of year-over-year declining enrollment.

Its a slippery slope, but honestly............considering the horrendous cost of these college educations, it seems to me a line needs be drawn somewhere. And I like your suggestion that these speakers be encouraged to speak off campus. Actually, I seem to remember that back in the day, that's what they did!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So how is that any different than the small group of liberals in ANTIFA and BLM doing their actions? I'm a liberal and I'm not part of either organization. How does that factor into your hyperbole?

You all seem to think I'm against them for legal right to assembly...I'm not...have at it...enjoy...

Small groups...is 15,000 a small group?

A small group is 200 Nazis from all over the country come to one place to march in their clown suits.

The question is whether their assembly is legal, whether there is violence involved, and whether they are there to physically stop others rights.

With the Nazis clowns if they have a permit and just march to their gathering area to listen to some idiot talk and then go on their way is a little different than what we been seeing from the left wouldn't you say? I'm trying to understand why you think it is a hyperbole...

edit on 10-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: intrepid

That's the title of the opinion piece the OP is trying to discuss. Isn't that a rule?

No one made him post it though. Like Pence's stunt, could have just not played this silly game.

You gave me some invaluable advice years ago: ignore stuff that upsets you.

I'm not upset. Just pointing out the obvious in this silly game. And don't feel singled out. I do the same with conservatives when they get this way. I'm sure ya'll are sick of my logic by now.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hate crime as a legal concept originated in the late 1970s in California defined as crime directed toward protected classes (race, religion, color, and national origin.)

Hate speech is a derivative concept of hate crime.

The limitations set by SCOTUS on the First Amendment right of free speech and expression are limitations on the actions of GOVERNMENT.

I'm not a fan of any sort of limiting speech and expression in general as these are NATURAL RIGHTS not merely CIVIL RIGHTS.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

That's the title of the opinion piece the OP is trying to discuss. Isn't that a rule?

No one made him post it though. Like Pence's stunt, could have just not played this silly game.

You gave me some invaluable advice years ago: ignore stuff that upsets you.

I'm not upset. Just pointing out the obvious in this silly game. And don't feel singled out. I do the same with conservatives when they get this way. I'm sure ya'll are sick of my logic by now.

I'm not sick of your logic at all. You're jabbing fairly equally in all directions these days, LOL.

I'm glad you're not upset.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Say this with me. Anecdotes do not equal evidence. Also, as far as race is concerned, I find it odd anyone wants to dip their foot in that pool. All the mass shooting by entitled white men in the past 5 years equate to a month or two in Chicago. But that's probably some white guy's fault too.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Say what. his thread is about an article in the WAPO.....really.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Also, considering words a going from both sides... who is it again tgat is actually assaulting people on a regular basis? Pretttneasy to forget that part when you're a hack journalist I guess

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This is a buncha bull.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

You only want to consider an uptick in political violence only in the last three years? Why?
Sounds like obfuscating data to me. Shouldn't you track an uptick in political violence from when the trend started? Perhaps even slightly before hand to get the original baseline?

I was thinking what is affecting us today, right now... What do we see today, now if you feel the need to go back to the 60s lets say then so be it.

Remember BLM, 99%ers etc all started under Obama. I think the 99%ers just changed their name to Antifa once Trump took over, but I would bet it is mainly the same people that tend to be more of an anarchists movement in my view.

One thing to think about is it always comes down to numbers in what actually affects us as a society...How many and what frequency.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: s0nof0d1n
This is a buncha bull.

What's a buncha bull? Anything like:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
does any member think we are being played by foreign entities deliberately trying to divide us?....and if so, why aren't members calling these others out?.....personally, I think there are a few on here using various screen names.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
does any member think we are being played by foreign entities deliberately trying to divide us?....

No. I think you are being played by your own government. It comes in two flavors but leaves the same foul taste.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Foreign entities in our news media for sure, ATS not so much

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You wanted to suggest that Nazis are present in small and insignificant numbers ... how about "ANTIFA"?

You were just complaining about leftists "shutting down roadways" above ... but now they're not leftists but anarchists?

Your arguments seem scattered ... feeling okay?

I'm suggesting Antifa is more anarchists, their political views I'm sure are not right since you know that all right is fascist...lol

There are a lot more left protesting than just Antifa...In Portland it is about every weekend and roads are closed, damage is done, a few get arrested, so ya it all effects Portland never the less.

My argument is scatted to you because you really do not read my posts and tend to reply to everything but my main points. I'm thinking it is because you can't honestly reply to my main points and so you need to defect as it seems is the ending to all our debates...lol

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

Because I'm tired of being demonized for actions that transcend partisan barriers.

Ummm...that right there is a joke...right...?

When this last election season kicked off you repeatedly stated that you were a conservative...of the right persuasion...

Throughout this last election cycle and continuing into this post of yours...you have done nothing but bash anyone on the right...everything you've posted and your continuing stance has been straight out of left field...

Why...?

Perhaps you need to look no further than the consistency of your post history as per this...and compare that to your claims...therein my friend lies the conundrum...therein lies the reason for the...demonization...that you perceive...

You should step down off of the partisan bandwagons...realize it's all dog and pony...realize that when you flip that coin...whether heads or tails...it's still the same coin...

As far as the premise of your OP...there's nothing inclusionary there...all divisive...not worth the breath or time...
You should know better...your not an ignorant or foolish individual...your intelligent and well spoken...
Speak to that...leave division by the wayside...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

They are never going to see it. No matter how many times this same or similar enough scenario has played out and will play out. It's easier to control the ignorant and they're already barking on command.

"They're" ?
Come on Kali. Both sides have been howling like well trained attack dogs for...well..too long. I refuse to play their game anymore. It divides "me" and "you" and They always come out the winner.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

So we're back to only discussing what's wrong on the Left?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I said as much in a subsequent post.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So we're back to only discussing what's wrong on the Left?

Pence is left? Damn, I gotta get out more.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join