It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Last week, I sent a string of relatively uncontroversial tweets in the aftermath of the Las Vegas massacre, in which I sought to answer a question about mass shootings in the United States: Why are these crimes almost always carried out by white men? “It’s the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid,” I tweeted, before then diagnosing a sense of double entitlement — as white people and as men — that, when frustrated, can occasionally lead to violent consequences

This entire premise is BS. The fact he even states the tweets are "uncontroversial" clearly show where his head is...
edit on 10-10-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

No. You just want it to be BS because you don't agree with the author's opinion on mass shootings. Which, again, is irrelevant to the conversation I'm attempting to have here.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
I can't read past Wapo as your source. They showed their colors leading up to the election. The whole staff is a bunch of overweight bleeding heart liberal femenists with a chip on their shoulders.

There's a certain... irony, in your username being 'Mandroid'.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I'll pass. I make a point not to watch silly propaganda "documentaries" on Youtube. Thanks for trying to derail my thread with an irrelevant deflection though.

Silly propaganda, YouTube, derailment by deflection...

Where would ATS be without all of that???

it's all about the outrage, which is being pumped up every day....maybe we should ask each other why? and who is behind it. it is now a standard here that a few are being picked out to represent whole groups of people, and it's becoming the bread and butter of ATS....

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I just want people on the right to admit their side does it too.

I am curious why this is important to you?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

No. You just want it to be BS because you don't agree with the author's opinion on mass shootings, which again, is irrelevant to the conversation I'm attempting to have here.

Here is a racial breakdown of mass shootings... took all of 10 seconds

Mass Shootings By Race

51% whites
15% blacks
7% Latino
7% Asian
Rest other, unknown...

Non-hispanic whites make up 63.7% of the US population. Therefore whites are under represented based on their population when it comes to mass shootings. Blacks make up 12.7% of the population. But 15% of the mass shooting perpetrators, so actually over represented slightly.

My point is the author starts off his opinion piece with an example which is easily refutable and the entire premise is a bunch of hokey. The fact he even states his opinion of "why so many white men commit mass shootings" as being uncontroversial in light of the facts presented above basically shows the guy has ZERO credibility and nothing but a leftist puppet.

edit on 10-10-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Then why did you even respond to the thread in the first place? Your opinion about my source is unnecessary, and if you didn't read it you are admitting ignorance of my thread topic. Clearly you don't need to be here.

I guess when the right states rioting and tearing crap up they might start to be more inline with the left...lol

I see no where in your post that right-wing riots in the 10,000s to stop a freedom of speech event.

As Princeton’s Eddie Glaude has put it, when the right is so easily triggered by anti-racism and feminism, they make it perfectly clear who the “real snowflakes” are.

Nice, a small number of hand picked snowflakes I agree, but to suggest "the right" implies all, and that is not the case when we are talking about a few out of millions...lol I

All the left can do is bitch about Facebook posts lol Who even uses Facebook anymore...geez

edit on 10-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How would we be the thought police if were all to stupid to even attend college?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Because I'm tired of being demonized for actions that transcend partisan barriers.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Just like how not everyone on the right sends death threats, no everyone on the left riots. Apply your logic consistently please.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Ah, the old switcheroo

Shut down speech by conservatives, violently, and then point the finger at them.
Good one.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

My point is that ENTIRE argument is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Regardless of how correct his opinion is, he still received and is receiving death threats from right leaning Americans thanks to right wing media taking his words out of context and misrepresenting what he said. So, again, cut the red herring out and address my point that right leaning America works to shut free speech down too. There is a reason I haven't given any hard numbers or even a solid refutation to your words. I don't care about your point you are making as it isn't relevant to the message I am expanding on in this thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Regardless of how correct his opinion is, he still received and is receiving death threats from right leaning Americans thanks to right wing media taking his words out of context and misrepresenting what he said.

I don't believe him that he's getting death threats. He probably made them up himself to garner more popularity.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Lol. Ok. I don't believe you either and think you are just trolling me to get a rise out of me. This is a fun game. Though, at least, the article author uses links to back his argument up.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Just like how not everyone on the right sends death threats, no everyone on the left riots. Apply your logic consistently please.

I do not suggest everyone as I used 10,000 as my example....so logically that doesn't mean 150 million does it? I'm saying the left numbers are much greater than the right in who are involved in any protest of any kind.

Your post talks about a few keyboard warriors sending threats on Face Book, and I'm just comparing it to 15,000 protesting freedom of speech with anticipated violence to completely shut down the freedom of speech...

I guess my point is you really don't have a leg to stand on in complaining about right wing protesters...lol

edit on 10-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I do not suggest everyone as I used 10,000 as my example....so logically that doesn't mean 150 million does it? I'm saying the left numbers are much greater than the right in who are involved in any protest of any kind.

It's FAR easier to send a death threat anonymously than it is to riot on the streets. What you said here is HIGHLY debatable. I'd reason, in fact, that far more people (from both sides of the political aisle) send death threats and other harassment online than riot in the streets.

Your post talks about a few keyboard warriors sending threats on Face Book, and I'm just comparing it to 15,000 protesting freedom of speech with anticipated violence to completely shut down the freedom of speech...

I guess my point is you really don't have a leg to stand on in complaining about right wing protesters...lol

Sigh... From the OP:

And things aren’t letting up. While noteworthy cases such as Saida Grundy and Zandria Robinson in 2015 gave a glimpse of what was to come, the months since Trump’s election have seen a generalized assault on anti-racist academics. In May, Tommy Curry at Texas A&M was targeted for a years-old podcast; Princeton’s Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor was forced to cancel public events after threats following a commencement speech; and Johnny Eric Williams at Trinity College was targeted and suspended reposting someone else’s words on Facebook. Increasingly, leftist professors are being targeted for “things they never really said.” As Princeton’s Eddie Glaude has put it, when the right is so easily triggered by anti-racism and feminism, they make it perfectly clear who the “real snowflakes” are.

I bolded a particularly noteworthy instance were someone had to change their speaking plans because of these threats. I don't think you have a leg to stand on to claim that the left does it more or is worse than the right. You certainly don't have any hard numbers or proof to prove that claim. So what is so hard about saying that shutting down free speech transcends partisan barriers?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Because I'm tired of being demonized for actions that transcend partisan barriers.

Both sides are equal when it comes to reactions. But it certainly appears that the left is more likely to try and shut down free speech BEFORE the speech.

If you disagree, please highlight all of the times in the past year that the right has tried to shutdown an en event. To be equal you will need about 10+ examples, and that's just from Berkeley.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

Both sides are equal when it comes to reactions. But it certainly appears that the left is more likely to try and shut down free speech BEFORE the speech.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "appearances can be deceiving"? Just because it appears to be the case, doesn't make it so.

If you disagree, please highlight all of the times in the past year that the right has tried to shutdown an en event. To be equal you will need about 10+ examples, and that's just from Berkeley.

How about instead of uselessly comparing anecdotes YOU actually prove the point you are making with statistics and hard numbers instead of adopting a position and demanding that I disprove it for you?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They are never going to see it. No matter how many times this same or similar enough scenario has played out and will play out. It's easier to control the ignorant and they're already barking on command.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah. I'm not even trying to argue that the right is worse than the left here. Just getting them to admit that both partisan sides can be equally at fault here is like pulling teeth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join