It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: thepixelpusher

Academics are more trustworthy than some random on the internet like you or I. I also don't see a reason why this guy would be lying. You really just sound like you are reaching for reasons not to accept that the right is guilty of subverting free speech too.

Academics have created some of the worlds worst systems. Oh yeah trust someone who is a falliable human like the rest of us blindly. Hint its a bad idea.

Both sides have hit on free speech. to say other wise is retarded(im retaded myself so I have the right to use that word)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Humans have created everything around you. They created our very government. Just because sometimes people create or do bad things doesn't mean that everyone is like that or no one can be trusted. I'm sorry, but if you want to have such a pessimistic outlook on life then do you, but I don't. Academics are the foremost authority on knowledge and so their opinions should be given heavier weight than some random jackass off the street. That doesn't mean they have to be immediately trusted either like you erroneously suggested. You can still analyze what they say and agree or disagree, but you should at the least listen to their words first. Discounting them just because they are academics is just stupid and is a display of willful ignorance.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Humans have created everything around you. They created our very government. Just because sometimes people create or do bad things doesn't mean that everyone is like that or no one can be trusted. I'm sorry, but if you want to have such a pessimistic outlook on life then do you, but I don't. Academics are the foremost authority on knowledge and so their opinions should be given heavier weight than some random jackass off the street. That doesn't mean they have to be immediately trusted either like you erroneously suggested. You can still analyze what they say and agree or disagree, but you should at the least listen to their words first. Discounting them just because they are academics is just stupid and is a display of willful ignorance.

Academics are stuck up jack arses. Waste of time to even debate them because they know it all.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Academics are stuck up jack arses. Waste of time to even debate them because they know it all.

Looking at things it looks like you are the one acting like a "stuck up jack arse" pretending like you know it all. How does that expression go again about judging a book by its cover?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Xtrozero

Because 2010 is so long ago? Wow. It seems like you're really trying to cherry-pick your argument here.

You only want to consider an uptick in political violence only in the last three years? Why?

The tea parties were in no way violent. They were peaceful and they actually cleaned up after themselves. They WERE endlessly demonized in the media though.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom
I found this opinion article on WaPo today and it makes some decent points. The title is a bit partisan, so I'm putting this in the mud pit, but it really highlights how the right is equally, if not moreso, responsible for shutting down free speech on campuses across the nation.

What caused the author to write it was an account of his own entanglement with the right's need to shut down opposing voices:

Last week, I sent a string of relatively uncontroversial tweets in the aftermath of the Las Vegas massacre, in which I sought to answer a question about mass shootings in the United States: Why are these crimes almost always carried out by white men? “It’s the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid,” I tweeted, before then diagnosing a sense of double entitlement — as white people and as men — that, when frustrated, can occasionally lead to violent consequences.

My argument was not new, but rather reflects decades of research on how race and gender function in our society. To be both white and male is to be subject to a potent cocktail of entitlement to economic and political power, and to dominate nonwhite and female bodies. When that entitlement is frustrated, it can lead to what the criminologist Mike King calls “aggrieved whiteness,” an ambient furor based on the idea that white Americans have become oppressed victims of politically correct multiculturalism.

The author was just speaking candidly and unemotionally about his opinions on the subject. Right wing media, however, had other ideas. They picked the tweet up (stating with the Daily Caller), took it out of context, and basically told right wing readers that this guy hates white people. Here's the entire series of events of right wing media did to whip the right into a frenzy needing safe spaces.

This time, the outrage machine geared up as it often does, with a minor conservative media outlet — in this case, the Daily Caller — chopping my tweets up into a misleading mishmash that transformed a nuanced diagnosis of white male frustration into an attack on white people in general. When the Daily Caller posted the article to Facebook, moreover, the intention was clearly to incite: “Absolutely unforgiveable” (sic) read the post, which by now has been shared nearly 2,000 times and commented upon more than 3,000 times.

Hate mail and death threats began to roll in. “I will beat your skull in till there is no tomorrow.” “Soon all you p‑‑‑‑‑s will get exactly what you deserve.” “Do the world a favor, and kill yourself … I’ll help you find death sooner than later.” One called me a “pig f‑‑‑er like Obama,” adding homophobic slurs for good measure. Many called me a “cuck” — a favorite racial and sexual insult of the alt-right — while others urged me to move to North Korea or Venezuela. One “love note from a WHITE American” wrongly identified me as a “greasy South American a‑‑hole.”

From there, the contagion was rapid, with Stephen Bannon’s Breitbart News and even Milo Yiannopoulos’s own website running their own cribbed copies of the same story. Then came FrontPage, the Blaze, the College Fix and the campus mercenaries at Turning Point. Soon, the manufactured story had hit the conspiratorial fringes of Infowars and online forums across the right: from “blue lives matter” to those preparing for the inevitable rapture.

Finally, the story crossed the mainstream-fringe barrier at its most permeable point: Fox News. Fox claimed that not only do I blame Trump for the Las Vegas massacre, but that I even somehow blame the victims. Threatening emails increased to a flood. An invitation to appear on Tucker Carlson’s show arrived in short order, only confirming the insular nature of the machine, which amplifies to a furious roar the same small group of voices. I declined.

Now the author gave his anecdote, but he isn't the only one here. People are even catching flak for things they never even said.

And things aren’t letting up. While noteworthy cases such as Saida Grundy and Zandria Robinson in 2015 gave a glimpse of what was to come, the months since Trump’s election have seen a generalized assault on anti-racist academics. In May, Tommy Curry at Texas A&M was targeted for a years-old podcast; Princeton’s Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor was forced to cancel public events after threats following a commencement speech; and Johnny Eric Williams at Trinity College was targeted and suspended reposting someone else’s words on Facebook. Increasingly, leftist professors are being targeted for “things they never really said.” As Princeton’s Eddie Glaude has put it, when the right is so easily triggered by anti-racism and feminism, they make it perfectly clear who the “real snowflakes” are.

Agree or not with the title, but to sit there and say the liberal left is only assaulting free speech is a lie to its core.

Some of the pontificating by this hipster professor is hilarious. First, there is no data that legitimately shows that white men disproportionately commit mass shootings.

There most certainly is data that legitimately shows men disproportionately commit mass shootings and violence across the board, however.

So, what's wrong with men? Women don't do this evil with near the frequency.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Looking at things it looks like you are the one acting like a "stuck up jack arse" pretending like you know it all. How does that expression go again about judging a book by its cover?

Academics said th eGod particle didnt exist. It was later found to exist. Just one exampl eof a Academic being wrong.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

My source links to other sources to back up its claims and was written by a respected academic.

Respected by...?

His academic peers.

And we should care about their opinions... why?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

YES,as usual and as a result of being TOO far gone in your BIAS, and expected.
HOWEVER a CERTAIN MOD has attacked me for those EXPLANATIONS so YOU are S.O.L.
edit on 14-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Academics said th eGod particle didnt exist. It was later found to exist. Just one exampl eof a Academic being wrong.

No one said that academics know everything. They can be wrong from time to time. They are still a more trustworthy source than some random on the internet.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

a reply to: thepixelpusher

Academics are more trustworthy than some random on the internet like you or I. I also don't see a reason why this guy would be lying. You really just sound like you are reaching for reasons not to accept that the right is guilty of subverting free speech too.

Academics have created some of the worlds worst systems. Oh yeah trust someone who is a falliable human like the rest of us blindly. Hint its a bad idea.

Both sides have hit on free speech. to say other wise is retarded(im retaded myself so I have the right to use that word)

Even with a disability you make more sense than the trolls on this thread. Keep up the good work and intelligent posts!

I am her. The words flashed through my head. And suddenly, there on the 101 freeway, I was down the hole again. Tears streaming, sobs choking, heart breaking. The realization hitting me. I am Her.

Liberal chick still crying over Hillary losing election, weeks later

The liberal mental disorder is still lashing out months after a legitimate winning election. Seek help! When they are not stealing MAGA hats they are protesting free speech on campus. The Liberals are the most faschist people since Hitler!! I thank God Hillary lost.
edit on 17-10-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join