It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives are the real campus thought police squashing academic freedom

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I found this opinion article on WaPo today and it makes some decent points. The title is a bit partisan, so I'm putting this in the mud pit, but it really highlights how the right is equally, if not moreso, responsible for shutting down free speech on campuses across the nation.

What caused the author to write it was an account of his own entanglement with the right's need to shut down opposing voices:

Last week, I sent a string of relatively uncontroversial tweets in the aftermath of the Las Vegas massacre, in which I sought to answer a question about mass shootings in the United States: Why are these crimes almost always carried out by white men? “It’s the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid,” I tweeted, before then diagnosing a sense of double entitlement — as white people and as men — that, when frustrated, can occasionally lead to violent consequences.

My argument was not new, but rather reflects decades of research on how race and gender function in our society. To be both white and male is to be subject to a potent cocktail of entitlement to economic and political power, and to dominate nonwhite and female bodies. When that entitlement is frustrated, it can lead to what the criminologist Mike King calls “aggrieved whiteness,” an ambient furor based on the idea that white Americans have become oppressed victims of politically correct multiculturalism.

The author was just speaking candidly and unemotionally about his opinions on the subject. Right wing media, however, had other ideas. They picked the tweet up (stating with the Daily Caller), took it out of context, and basically told right wing readers that this guy hates white people. Here's the entire series of events of right wing media did to whip the right into a frenzy needing safe spaces.

This time, the outrage machine geared up as it often does, with a minor conservative media outlet — in this case, the Daily Caller — chopping my tweets up into a misleading mishmash that transformed a nuanced diagnosis of white male frustration into an attack on white people in general. When the Daily Caller posted the article to Facebook, moreover, the intention was clearly to incite: “Absolutely unforgiveable” (sic) read the post, which by now has been shared nearly 2,000 times and commented upon more than 3,000 times.

Hate mail and death threats began to roll in. “I will beat your skull in till there is no tomorrow.” “Soon all you p‑‑‑‑‑s will get exactly what you deserve.” “Do the world a favor, and kill yourself … I’ll help you find death sooner than later.” One called me a “pig f‑‑‑er like Obama,” adding homophobic slurs for good measure. Many called me a “cuck” — a favorite racial and sexual insult of the alt-right — while others urged me to move to North Korea or Venezuela. One “love note from a WHITE American” wrongly identified me as a “greasy South American a‑‑hole.”

From there, the contagion was rapid, with Stephen Bannon’s Breitbart News and even Milo Yiannopoulos’s own website running their own cribbed copies of the same story. Then came FrontPage, the Blaze, the College Fix and the campus mercenaries at Turning Point. Soon, the manufactured story had hit the conspiratorial fringes of Infowars and online forums across the right: from “blue lives matter” to those preparing for the inevitable rapture.

Finally, the story crossed the mainstream-fringe barrier at its most permeable point: Fox News. Fox claimed that not only do I blame Trump for the Las Vegas massacre, but that I even somehow blame the victims. Threatening emails increased to a flood. An invitation to appear on Tucker Carlson’s show arrived in short order, only confirming the insular nature of the machine, which amplifies to a furious roar the same small group of voices. I declined.

Now the author gave his anecdote, but he isn't the only one here. People are even catching flak for things they never even said.

And things aren’t letting up. While noteworthy cases such as Saida Grundy and Zandria Robinson in 2015 gave a glimpse of what was to come, the months since Trump’s election have seen a generalized assault on anti-racist academics. In May, Tommy Curry at Texas A&M was targeted for a years-old podcast; Princeton’s Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor was forced to cancel public events after threats following a commencement speech; and Johnny Eric Williams at Trinity College was targeted and suspended reposting someone else’s words on Facebook. Increasingly, leftist professors are being targeted for “things they never really said.” As Princeton’s Eddie Glaude has put it, when the right is so easily triggered by anti-racism and feminism, they make it perfectly clear who the “real snowflakes” are.

Agree or not with the title, but to sit there and say the liberal left is only assaulting free speech is a lie to its core.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ha ...You might have to reconsider what you read in the Liberal Media after watching this new vid

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I'll pass. I make a point not to watch silly propaganda "documentaries" on Youtube. Thanks for trying to derail my thread with an irrelevant deflection though.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'll pass. I make a point not to watch silly propaganda "documentaries" on Youtube. Thanks for trying to derail my thread with an irrelevant deflection though.

Silly propaganda, YouTube, derailment by deflection...

Where would ATS be without all of that???

+40 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I can't read past Wapo as your source. They showed their colors leading up to the election. The whole staff is a bunch of overweight bleeding heart liberal femenists with a chip on their shoulders.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Then why did you even respond to the thread in the first place? Your opinion about my source is unnecessary, and if you didn't read it you are admitting ignorance of my thread topic. Clearly you don't need to be here.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

... it really highlights how the right is equally, if not moreso, responsible for shutting down free speech on campuses across the nation.

Well there's a ringing endorsement. That means the left is equally, if not less so, responsible for the same. Not a smart move for a thread. In fact I fail to see its purpose, other than to poke. Mudpit? It would be better suited in the Archives of the Inane.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Exactly. I am not trying to downplay the left's own contribution to the situation at hand here. I just want people on the right to admit their side does it too.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I found this opinion article on WaPo today and it makes some decent points. The title is a bit partisan, so I'm putting this in the mud pit, but it really highlights how the right is equally, if not moreso, responsible for shutting down free speech on campuses across the nation.

What caused the author to write it was an account of his own entanglement with the right's need to shut down opposing voices:

Last week, I sent a string of relatively uncontroversial tweets in the aftermath of the Las Vegas massacre, in which I sought to answer a question about mass shootings in the United States: Why are these crimes almost always carried out by white men? “It’s the white supremacist patriarchy, stupid,” I tweeted, before then diagnosing a sense of double entitlement — as white people and as men — that, when frustrated, can occasionally lead to violent consequences.

My argument was not new, but rather reflects decades of research on how race and gender function in our society. To be both white and male is to be subject to a potent cocktail of entitlement to economic and political power, and to dominate nonwhite and female bodies. When that entitlement is frustrated, it can lead to what the criminologist Mike King calls “aggrieved whiteness,” an ambient furor based on the idea that white Americans have become oppressed victims of politically correct multiculturalism.

The author was just speaking candidly and unemotionally about his opinions on the subject. Right wing media, however, had other ideas. They picked the tweet up (stating with the Daily Caller), took it out of context, and basically told right wing readers that this guy hates white people. Here's the entire series of events of right wing media did to whip the right into a frenzy needing safe spaces.

This time, the outrage machine geared up as it often does, with a minor conservative media outlet — in this case, the Daily Caller — chopping my tweets up into a misleading mishmash that transformed a nuanced diagnosis of white male frustration into an attack on white people in general. When the Daily Caller posted the article to Facebook, moreover, the intention was clearly to incite: “Absolutely unforgiveable” (sic) read the post, which by now has been shared nearly 2,000 times and commented upon more than 3,000 times.

Hate mail and death threats began to roll in. “I will beat your skull in till there is no tomorrow.” “Soon all you p‑‑‑‑‑s will get exactly what you deserve.” “Do the world a favor, and kill yourself … I’ll help you find death sooner than later.” One called me a “pig f‑‑‑er like Obama,” adding homophobic slurs for good measure. Many called me a “cuck” — a favorite racial and sexual insult of the alt-right — while others urged me to move to North Korea or Venezuela. One “love note from a WHITE American” wrongly identified me as a “greasy South American a‑‑hole.”

From there, the contagion was rapid, with Stephen Bannon’s Breitbart News and even Milo Yiannopoulos’s own website running their own cribbed copies of the same story. Then came FrontPage, the Blaze, the College Fix and the campus mercenaries at Turning Point. Soon, the manufactured story had hit the conspiratorial fringes of Infowars and online forums across the right: from “blue lives matter” to those preparing for the inevitable rapture.

Finally, the story crossed the mainstream-fringe barrier at its most permeable point: Fox News. Fox claimed that not only do I blame Trump for the Las Vegas massacre, but that I even somehow blame the victims. Threatening emails increased to a flood. An invitation to appear on Tucker Carlson’s show arrived in short order, only confirming the insular nature of the machine, which amplifies to a furious roar the same small group of voices. I declined.

Now the author gave his anecdote, but he isn't the only one here. People are even catching flak for things they never even said.

And things aren’t letting up. While noteworthy cases such as Saida Grundy and Zandria Robinson in 2015 gave a glimpse of what was to come, the months since Trump’s election have seen a generalized assault on anti-racist academics. In May, Tommy Curry at Texas A&M was targeted for a years-old podcast; Princeton’s Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor was forced to cancel public events after threats following a commencement speech; and Johnny Eric Williams at Trinity College was targeted and suspended reposting someone else’s words on Facebook. Increasingly, leftist professors are being targeted for “things they never really said.” As Princeton’s Eddie Glaude has put it, when the right is so easily triggered by anti-racism and feminism, they make it perfectly clear who the “real snowflakes” are.

Agree or not with the title, but to sit there and say the liberal left is only assaulting free speech is a lie to its core.

Some of the pontificating by this hipster professor is hilarious. First, there is no data that legitimately shows that white men disproportionately commit mass shootings. Second, we'd need to see the actual context of some of his examples.

I mean, I can't even take the guy seriously with quotes like ".. Trumps election election have seen an assault on anti-racists academics."

Yes, there are situations were conservatives may have engaged in the same behaviors as the left. However, to deny that leftists are running academic institutions and doing everything they can to shut down conservative thought on campuses is absurd.

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Then why did you even respond to the thread in the first place? Your opinion about my source is unnecessary, and if you didn't read it you are admitting ignorance of my thread topic. Clearly you don't need to be here.

Classic.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm sure if the author of the article had pointed out that black men commit a disproportionately high amount of violent crime as compared to White men, he would have been the recipient of as much, if not more equally, or worse vitriolic.

This of course is purely academic, because no mainstream writer has ever had the guts to speak that truth, and even if their was such an individual they would be victim of editorial sanction and loss of position.
edit on 10-10-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Exactly. I am not trying to downplay the left's own contribution to the situation at hand here. I just want people on the right to admit their side does it too.

Why care what they do? It REALLY isn't a competition. The only reason I care is because all this BS is in MY face.

+2 more 
link   
When Caucasians are still the majority of people in the US, it stands to reason that caucasian people will be the majority of mass shooters (based on whatever arbitrary metric we're using today)

But look at the most recent shootings over the last 10 years or so or even the most deadly and you see that this isn't a "white people phenomenon"

Fort Hood : Arab shooter
San Bernardino : Arab shooter
Virginia Tech : Korean shooter
Orlando : Arab shooter
Columbine : white shooters
Sandy Hook : white shooter
Aurora : white shooter
Vegas : white shooter
If I missed any, let me know.

So half of the most deadly shootings were carried out by a demographic that is about 70% percent of the population.

If anything it would seem that caucasians are underrepresented here.

But to what I think you're topic is more on, yes both sides tend to only be interested in free speech that they agree with.

Though the leftists have been much more violent in their attempts to limit speech over the past few years.

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Some of the pontificating by this hipster professor is hilarious. First, there is no data that legitimately shows that white men disproportionately commit mass shootings. Second, we'd need to see the actual context of some of his examples.

That is a discussion for another thread. I am merely pointing out the vitriolic response to his words from people on the right trying to silence his opinion instead of debate him.

I mean, I can't even take the guy seriously with quotes like ".. Trumps election election have seen an assault on anti-racists academics."

I'm not asking you to take him seriously.

Yes, there are situations were conservatives may have engaged in the same behaviors as the left. However, to deny that leftists are running academic institutions and doing everything they can to shut down conservative thought on campuses is absurd.

I didn't deny that the left is responsible too. I said they are equally responsible for this.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Just creating context here. I'm tired of being blamed that free speech is being eroded in the country just because I'm a liberal when both partisan sides are responsible for these activities. Granted none of it is a violation of the 1st Amendment, but this double standard needs to be addressed.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
I only care about this part of your text

But to what I think you're topic is more on, yes both sides tend to only be interested in free speech that they agree with.

Though the leftists have been much more violent in their attempts to limit speech over the past few years.

That is only because the right is better at highlighting and blowing each anecdote out of proportion than the left is. The left usually acknowledges such things then moves on with their day.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That is a discussion for another thread. I am merely pointing out the vitriolic response to his words from people on the right trying to silence his opinion instead of debate him.

I'm not asking you to take him seriously.

I didn't deny that the left is responsible too. I said they are equally responsible for this.

If the author can't even get basic facts correct then it calls into question the rest of his opinion....

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

He didn't get any basic facts incorrect. You are just splitting partisan hairs so you don't have to explore the meat of his message.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
When Caucasians are still the majority of people in the US, it stands to reason that caucasian people will be the majority of mass shooters (based on whatever arbitrary metric we're using today)

But look at the most recent shootings over the last 10 years or so or even the most deadly and you see that this isn't a "white people phenomenon"

Fort Hood : Arab shooter
San Bernardino : Arab shooter
Virginia Tech : Korean shooter
Orlando : Arab shooter
Columbine : white shooters
Sandy Hook : white shooter
Aurora : white shooter
Vegas : white shooter
If I missed any, let me know.

So half of the most deadly shootings were carried out by a demographic that is about 70% percent of the population.

If anything it would seem that caucasians are underrepresented here.

A lot of leftist like to use the white men commit mass shootings as kind of a deflection. You see this a lot in the black community from hotep / BLM types as way to try to connect dots to white supremacy and other white dysfunction. Of course, ignoring that whites make up 70% of the population.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of a ton of black mass shooters - Colin Ferguson, DC snipers, to name a couple. Pretty sure if we dig into the data, we'd find blacks to be over represented.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
"To be both white and male is to be subject to a potent cocktail of entitlement to economic and political power, and to dominate nonwhite and female bodies."

Stopped taking th article serious here. What an aberrant nonsensical piece of trash.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join