It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima court rules Tepco, government liable over 2011 disaster:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Those poor people who lived in Fukushima Prefecture and lost everything may be getting some type of settlement. Two out of three court rulings have said both Tokyo Electric Power and the Japanese government are liable for compensation. Presently $1 = 112.6100 yen .... 6 years and counting kinda sucks IMO

TOKYO (Reuters) - A district court in Fukushima prefecture on Tuesday ruled that Tokyo Electric Power and the Japanese government were liable for damages totalling about 500 million yen ($4.44 million) in the largest class action lawsuit brought over the 2011 nuclear disaster, Kyodo news agency said.

A group of about 3,800 people, mostly in Fukushima prefecture, filed the class action suit, marking the biggest number of plaintiffs out of about 30 similar class action lawsuits filed across the nation.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

What do you mean by $1=112.6100 Yen?

The quoted segment says 500 million Yen, or $4.4 million in dollars. Are you talking about the eventual payout to each person in the 3800 who filed this particular suit?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

What do you mean by $1=112.6100 Yen?

The quoted segment says 500 million Yen, or $4.4 million in dollars. Are you talking about the eventual payout to each person in the 3800 who filed this particular suit?

Being a Brit I would think you know something about exchange rates.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Ah, you mistake me for one of those effete, financially secure Brits, who are actually total unicorns in reality, and yet the tweed wearing face of our nation.

While one of those fellows would probably be able to reel off the exchange rate for most locations, I have never been able to afford to travel beyond the shores of this nation on my own dime. I went to France and Germany for a day each on a school trip, and went with my sister and mother to Greece, to visit my aunt for a week when I was sixteen, but other than that, I have never had the money or the time freedom to consider international travel. Therefore, the exchange rate, in terms of its immediate effect on my day to day existence, has never been something I needed to keep the most stringent of eyes on.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I live here, they were given 2500 USD to survive on by TEPCo years ago. I have not seen anything yet on the news what has been stated here.

Also I understood they weren't allow to sue the bastards years ago.
edit on 1000000046592017-10-10T06:59:46-05:00594610am6 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I live here, they were given 2500 USD to survive on by TEPCo years ago. I have not seen anything yet on the news what has been stated here.

Reuters carried the original article...unless they are fake news
www.reuters.com...

All the three district court decisions so far have ordered Tepco to pay damages. Only the Chiba court decision last month did not find the government liable for compensation.

The plaintiffs in Fukushima case have called on defendants for reinstating the levels of radioactivity at their homes before the disaster, but the court rejected the request, Kyodo said.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: musicismagic

Reuters carried the original article...unless they are fake news
www.reuters.com...

All the three district court decisions so far have ordered Tepco to pay damages. Only the Chiba court decision last month did not find the government liable for compensation.

The plaintiffs in Fukushima case have called on defendants for reinstating the levels of radioactivity at their homes before the disaster, but the court rejected the request, Kyodo said.

OK, thanks, I'll follow up on NHK and see what is really going on. To pay, does not mean immediately pay here in Japan. Hope you folks here understand that. TEPCO paid about $2500 to people years ago and that is all they received , they either took it or they didnt. Japan is not the US. This place is bought out by the politicians for sushi in their fkn dinner after work parties.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I'm a little confused here.
I thought the tsunami destroyed the area surrounding the power plant.
Basically that's what caused the damage.

Tepco then kept the people from returning to the area until it was deemed safe from radiation.

Is that the reason for the lawsuit because Tepco wouldn't be liable for the original damage?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There is no reason for confusion.

TepCo failed to correctly secure the site from a real and predictable threat, and the Japanese government failed to force them to prevent any failure of their backup systems as a result of any natural disaster.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
They're liable huh?

Glad thats settled.

Good luck collecting before y'all die of cancer.

Tubco will follow the model the US did with atom bomb test veterans.

Deny, deny, deny,

Hope you die.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

They're liable huh?

Glad thats settled.

Good luck collecting before y'all die of cancer.

Tubco will follow the model the US did with atom bomb test veterans.

Deny, deny, deny,

You are correct about that, the disease in fukuoka prefectures some 50 years about polluted water just returns to modern mankind . I'll have to check the name but I'm sure it began with the letter M

Hope you die.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Reprinting your reply, the way you did it made it invisible to the forum readers...

You are correct about that, the disease in fukuoka prefectures some 50 years about polluted water just returns to modern mankind . I'll have to check the name but I'm sure it began with the letter M

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: musicismagic

Reprinting your reply, the way you did it made it invisible to the forum readers...

Thank you sir.
Here it is.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Does it matter at this point???

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Presumably the reason they've been making it difficult is because if Tepco had to start paying out compensation, they would go bust almost instantly.

And if they went bust instantly, then nobody would be left owning or being responsible for the mess that is the clean up?

It would just be sort of... abandoned, behind chainlink fences.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Does it matter at this point???

Yes, it matters, especially now as we are facing the 6th mass extinction. Different countries are now creating a new revolution whereby water bodies/tracts of land will be considered as entities with rights, nature with rights, as indigenous peoples' have always included in their laws. We now need a new paradigm and give our Mother Earth and oceans rights as entities to not be destroyed by large corporations.

therightsofnature.org...

top topics

join