It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Stevie Wonder Goes . .so Shall I Shortly After

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Do you know who Stevie Wonder is?

Stevland Hardaway Morris (born Stevland Hardaway Judkins; May 13, 1950),[1] known by his stage name Stevie Wonder, is an American musician, singer, songwriter, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist. A child prodigy, he is considered to be one of the most critically and commercially successful musical performers of the late 20th century.[2] Wonder signed with Motown's Tamla label at the age of 11,[2] and he continued performing and recording for Motown into the 2010s. He has been blind since shortly after birth.[3]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

If you go through his many awards and amazing achievements, that would be redundant in the sense that if you want to know, you should already know, however you WOULD STILL want to research and see what an amazing man he is!! "Wonder" is a complete understatement ON ALL ACCOUNTS!!

I was raised singing "Songs In The Key Of Life" double album, and I can assure you if you haven't experienced this masterpiece, you haven't lived..

Not tooting this man's horn... I wish today's music would carry the torch. However, nothing compares!

NOTHING.

Everything that's ESSENTIAL to our freaking souls has been musically explained through someone who who can't see... But feels....understands, and makes our world less divided...
I'm sick to death of these"chanting" lyrics these days..

Over and over again with no substance. . no nothing... and yet we have it smeared over the radio..Over and over and over again..

I SWEAR when STEVIE goes shortly I will after...why?

Because it's a joke now.. and my heart will break.

I grew up on substance, and now there is absolutely NONE.

You might say go with the tide...learn to evolve to today's music and messages.. but the attention span of the modern musical consumer is so short, that only the ones like me who can see genius over profits, is very few...
Maybe its genius to promote to idiots.
.... Who knows
I'm sure there are artist of complex quality that I may have overlooked... But you can't deny Stevie....

ANYONE who does is.....oh I don't know...from another planet maybe?

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 10 Oct 2017 02:13:18 -050010amTuesdayth02am by EternalShadow because: add

edit on Tue Oct 10 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: ADDED EX TAGS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Even after he dies his music will still be around. If his music is still around, so is he.

There, now you have to find a different excuse.
edit on 10-10-2017 by intrptr because: change

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

As long as his music is still around, so is he.

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 10 Oct 2017 02:15:58 -050010amTuesdayth02am by EternalShadow because: deletion

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Top guy! For me it was his 60s soul period that I've enjoyed most. That beautiful time when The Miracles weren't yet 'Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' and Motown and Atlanta were automatically producing great records.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Top guy! For me it was his 60s soul period that I've enjoyed most. That beautiful time when The Miracles weren't yet 'Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' and Motown and Atlanta were automatically producing great records.

Exactly..

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Never cared for his music.

To each their own, I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

He is a good player, one of the best keyboard players in modern music. He ain't THAT GOOD though if you compare him to classical pianists. He is positively remedial in comparison:

That kid makes golden wonder look like a baby, don't he, and he is just a kid.

I find Stevie's voice a bit shrieky. I much prefer Marley's music, a million times more to be honest.

It's a real turn off when musicians start telling me who to vote for. If even Bob Marley told me who to vote for (and he doesn't) I would go off him like a shot. It is an utter turn off because it is sooo patronizing. They think that their political opinions carry the weight of their musical talent and they do not. ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE. EVERY vote counts in a democracy, Stevie Blander.

Jimi Hendrix is a god on the guitar, but he would have been a totally inept politician with the substance abuse, womanizing and general mayhem of his lifestyle. Jimi would not have dared to give political advice, but Stevie somehow does?

Nah Stevie, you don't look pretty in pink and neither does she.

Same with Pink Floyd and Brian Eno. I can't cope with either of them because they thought they could be advisors about Israel. # off musicians (and I am a musician). We have politicians and diplomats for all that. How dare you treat us like that. I hate your music now. So shut up if you don't want to lose my custom because I AM WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE and so are BILLIONS of other people the world over. Roger does EVERYTHING from ignorant self interests. The only reason he hates Israel is because his young bit of fluff is Palestinian. See, self interests all the time with [snipped] If his woman wasn't Palestinian do you think he would care then?

edit on 10-10-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Oct 10 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

yeah but no one gives 2 scoops about classical pianist jergovs

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

He is a good player, one of the best keyboard players in modern music. He ain't THAT GOOD though if you compare him to classical pianists. He is positively remedial in comparison:

I always dig your no BS contributions to any topic...lol I really do. However, I must say that how many times has Stevie been in the news... For ANYTHING aside from being honored or making some type of contribution to a cause?

You are critical of his musical talent??? Seriously?? He's had more number #1 hits than Marley, Jimi, and Pink Floyd, and more records to boot.

It's the messages I speak of...not to say none of the other artists you mentioned didn't carry a tune or influential voice, Stevie makes it digestible across the board for those hung up on genres.

You might like to diminish his light as he sees none, but how do you manage to do that considering most can't even touch his composition skills and originality?

The man is a gift. PERIOD.

To classify him otherwise, is complete idiocy.

edit on Tue Oct 10 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Quote Crash Course

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Death is a state of mind. Death is the beginning.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   
just popped in to say songs in the key of life is one of the greatest albums of all time

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Has Stevie Wonder put out any albums lately ?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

And McDonald's used to be, may still be for all I know the most popular fast food joint out there, but that didn't make it the best food around. It just meant a lot of people ate it.

Most popular isn't always the best of something.

The reason why someone popped up classical music by comparison is that classical music is still the most technically difficult music in the world. Do you know why so many of the classical music rock stars are foreign? Because they still hold mad respect for the technical difficulty of classical music in other countries while we settle for easy, breezy candyland pop like Stevie Wonder.

It's like they're eating whole food while we settle for McDonald's.

But if the Big Mac's your thing and you are willing to die if you can't have it. More power to you.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

i agree he was a good musician. but i never could stand the guys voice myself.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I saw him a few years ago in concert. I was very excited, he has pumped out so many great songs! But a half hour into his set he just stopped performing and instead started playing dj on his iPod and never went back to performing. Seriously. 10s of thousands of people standing there to listen to a legend perform and he is fumbling through his playlist looking for smashmouth. This was just before the election. If it was today I imagine he would have used the time to preach about social justice. We left very disappointed. Stevie Wonder is already gone.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What does technique and complexity matter in music?

Music stimulates feelings, emotions, imagery.

Simplicity can do the job just as well.

There is no comparison. It's like saying "This shade of blue is more difficult and complex, therefor it's better than that other shade of blue."

Music is a highly subjective art. I personally prefer impressionistic paintings. That's my preferred style. I'm sure impressionism looks 'positively remedial' to someone who prefers realism or portraits.

Even though complex and beautiful, I'll take some Rick Davies on the ivories over Beethoven any day.

And everything I know about piano comes from Tom & Jerry

edit on 10-10-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm not sure how you can *not* find classical evocative! Classical can tell entire stories.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good amount of contemporary too, but there's a reason why some symphony found its way onto my playlist alongside that contemporary, and it isn't because the music is dead.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm not sure how you can *not* find classical evocative!

I didn't say that. You said that.

I'm not sure how people can sit here and argue which style of music is better

The point of my post WAS, that due to its subjectivity, it's a non-argument and one that can never be won. It's art and people have different tastes in art.

top topics

join