It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribal Day! Not Columbus...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I'm fine with this. I've been a long time advocate for not honoring Columbus Day anymore. Though I've always been of the idea that the holiday should be scrapped altogether. The Indigenous People's Day idea is new to me this year. I like it.
What would we do on "Indigenous People's Day"? would it be another corporate cash grab, designed to stimulate the peoples to go out and spend on thatch and animal skins for our teepees? Would we rather eat in that fashion? Or go to a museum and look at Native Americans? perhaps a trip to a reservation?

Just a curious thought.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

I'm guessing it would be a federal holiday where federal jobs have the day off and schools are closed while our heads of state give speeches on Native American heritage or something, just like with Columbus day. Though, your silliness is lost on me as I said that I was for scrapping the holiday originally anyways. Either answer would be better for me than celebrating Columbus Day.

What do you do on Columbus Day since you had to ask this question? I was sick yesterday, but I would have gone to work otherwise as I'm sure I would be doing if Indigenous People's Day was a thing instead.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
Seeing as he was discovered by the people who were already here and that his actions set an example for the later barbarity committed by other Europeans I say why not get rid if it. Hitler isn't celebrated by decent people. I don't see why Columbus should be.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I wonder how Berkeley would react, then, if a conservative tribal member wanted to speak on the university's campus on "Columbus Day."

Would their heads explode?

Just a light-hearted question.

Light hearted answer, I would imagine that Berkley would have quite a large number of conservative Native Americans who have taken the podium during their Indigenous People's day celebrations.

People like Ann Coulter and Milo aren't conservatives, they're extremists.
edit on 10-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Agreed about the extremists comment...but those aren't the only people run out of town at Berkeley.

But, no big deal concerning this thread--I don't want to catapult this thread into off-topic territory.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm guessing it would be a federal holiday where federal jobs have the day off and schools are closed while our heads of state give speeches on Native American heritage or something, just like with Columbus day. Though, your silliness is lost on me as I said that I was for scrapping the holiday originally anyways. Either answer would be better for me than celebrating Columbus Day.

What do you do on Columbus Day since you had to ask this question? I was sick yesterday, but I would have gone to work otherwise as I'm sure I would be doing if Indigenous People's Day was a thing instead.
We eat rotisserie chicken and take the day off.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

How would that be different if it were Indigenous people's day instead then? Could you not eat chicken and take the day off?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: amazing

The stamps would SUCK and the tribes would STILL be screwed.

Didn't think about the stamps. They might be amazing!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes. We should rename it to Aztec Heart Surgery Day. That was much more peaceful!

We should just delete it. Why replace it with anything?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

barbarity is what they all did back then ,how far back should a land claim go?
We invaded and won.
LIKE all who came before,WHEN will it stop?
When a group is strong enough to hold off THE REST of the planet who want it.
Then the population stagnates into populist Communism apparently.
UNLESS a powerful faction is extent, that Marxists fear.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: Skid Mark

barbarity is what they all did back then ,how far back should a land claim go?
We invaded and won.
LIKE all who came before,WHEN will it stop?
When a group is strong enough to hold off THE REST of the planet who want it.
Then the population stagnates into populist Communism apparently.
UNLESS a powerful faction is extent, that Marxists fear.

Good point, But we still shouldn't be celebrating Chris Columbus. He was basically a serial killer with an army.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Why celebrate it at all? He never set foot in North America......

Thats the odd part to me

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

AND HE WAS LOST!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Now you know why "thank you for service" is better said as "sacrifices" when talking to one of the poor schlubs who go fight.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Why celebrate it at all? He never set foot in North America......

Thats the odd part to me

They set it as a holiday to placate Italian Americans and it came about with the popularity of Washington Irving’s The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus. I don't think you would find a single historian alive today or in the past, that isn't appalled by the total inaccuracies portrayed in that book.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I just don't get why we have a day celebrating an idiot. First off he didn't discover America. Even if we ignore the Vikings, Amerigo Vespucci (America's namesake) "discovered" it first.

Then there's the claim that he proved the Earth was round. Except we had known for centuries that it was round. If we hadn't sailors would have been f***ed.

The truth is that the reason Columbus found it so hard to get funding for his expedition is because he grossly underestimated the size of the globe. Sailors actually had a pretty good idea of how big it was at the time. That's why Columbus was so unprepared for his journey.

The only reason Columbus is celebrated is because kids learn a poem about him in elementary school. So he really shouldn't have a day named after him in the first place.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

When are we going to have Leif Ericcson Day or Admiral Zheng He Day?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

When we find their stuff and the museums don't HIDE it.
I would LAUGH like hell to find EGYPTIAN stuff.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

AND THEY THANK US BY OFFING JFK WITH THE SPOOKS?
Sorry ...still bitter about this coup we're under.
edit on 10-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join