It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most cookbooks are useless

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Professional charcuterie - marcel cottenceau
All about braising - molly Stevens
Pasta by hand - Jennifer Louis
Essentials of classic Italian cooking - Marcella Hazan
La Technique- Jacques Pepin
Louisiana kitchen - Paul prudhomme
Talk about good - the junior league of Lafayette Louisiana
The Bread Makers apprentice - peter Reinhart
Baking: From my home to yours - Dorie Greenspan
The art of fermentation- Sandor Ellix Katz
The art of making fermented sausages - Stanley & Adam Marianski
Great sausage Recipes and meat curing - Rytek Kutas
Sauces - James Peterson
Wild about Game - Janie Hibler
Butchering - Adam Danforth
Meathead: The science of great barbecue and grilling - Meathead Goldwyn and Greg Blonder

These are some of my favorite cookbooks. I find myself referencing these books more than others I have. They're a billion cookbooks out there and finding quality books is often a difficult task.

After looking at this list I realized I have a lack of books showcasing fish and seafood. I don't have an international collection but mostly American and French written books.

I find most cookbooks to be dribble and uninteresting. Cooking is about technique, touch and taste always highlighting the best ingredients one has at hand.

These are my books. These are the ones I have found to be useful. I mostly try to buy used cookbooks which are just as good as the brand spanking new ones. When buying online I find extremely inexpensive books and the shipping cost is usually more than the book itself.

What do you got on your shelves? What do you reference? What books are your favorites?

edit on 9-10-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: sausages

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I have nothing to contribute on cooking books, but since you seem to be familiar with this stuff, how about internet cooking recipe sites? well likely there are good ones and bad ones. But i like to google some recipes sometimes. It gives me new ideas that i never would have figured myself. I am a big fan of Mexican food and i like to try different types of meat and chilis.

And secondly, i followed the advice of your signature and listened to your guitarplaying. I enjoyed!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Thanx, nice!

Here are two sites I browse.

Breadtopia

Butter & brioche

I'm sure there are a ton of great websites.

Oh and here is another one.

Homesick texan
edit on 9-10-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: More stuffs

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

The Silver Spoon published by Phaidon is my go to book for Italian food. Recipe for everything and every occasion. I think it has 5 recipes for minestrone soup!

Utterly brill

Don’t really use books these days, BBC Food has a fully searchable database of pretty much everything cooked on a BBC channel

www.bbc.co.uk...

Covers pretty much every celeb chef and cuisine
edit on 9-10-2017 by DrBobH because: Added link

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I have been using chef'd and other meal services every now and then to learn stuff I wouldn't normally do. But I already have a base from being a line cook as a teenager and young adult.

I think chef'd is worth it every now and then if you want ideas and new technique.

Cookbooks are tough if you don't already have some knowledge but they at least give proportions..
edit on 9-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

I've browsed the BBC site before. I dig it.

I tend to use the New York Times cook app. I don't have a subscription to the (London) Times to check out those recipes. How is that? My mom has a cookbook from the times from the 70's she has been using since I was a kid.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Ahhh yes, the home delivery meal kit. How is that? How is the quality of ingredients and potion size? Any favorite meals?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The Joy of Cooking.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Yeah, that's definitely a fan favorite. I've had that book in the past but gave it to a friend. I like that book fine but I never found myself nose deep trying to find a good recipe in that book.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I unfortunately live in an area with terrible produce. Even though the climate is great for.growing my store has garbage so I couldn't even get cilantro on a regular basis.

Sun basket has great ingredients all organic and all packaging biodegradable or recyclable.

I liked mushu pork, and learned to use quick pickling more often for crunch, acidity, and sour in other meals.

Also Vietnamese noodle salads and pork roasts.

Chef'd also good ingredients and you can pick one off meals. So if you always wondered how to make something like say chicken Tikka, or Greek mussakka...

It's just a nice way to get all the stuff you need in the proportion of the recipe if it's a new dish for the cook.
Particularly if like me getting Lemmon grass would be an hour drive. (I have started growing stuff like that)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It's a great reference for many, many things but what I like best is the enormous amount of classic recipes. The Duck a l'Orange recipe is amazing.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Sounds like you guys probably have a kick ass ace hardware though. Do you grill a lot?

I love lemongrass. I often make my own curry pastes.

Is that the only meal service you have tried?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I cure and smoke a lot of duck breasts. I love any berry or rhubarb gastrique. So easy to make. Sugar and vinegar reduction.

What temp do you cook your duck? I like mine rare. Screw you usda! I refuse to cook duck to 165
edit on 9-10-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The two chef'd and sunbasket.

I do grill and smoke. I have a vertical wood smoker. I can do about 12 st Louis ribs in. Smoking is my jam for sure. Learning new side salads has helped complete that. Weird stuff like grilled peaches and feta salads with mint.

After learning the recipe I usually start improvising so I would lI've to have a good grocer near by. O

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Grilled peaches are fantastic. Have you ever charred your lemongrass? It's great. I like to do a charred peach stone fruit salsa for pork.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

My wife and I get all our recipes online. The number of reviews and the ratings gives us a green light that the recipe will be delicious. No need for cookbooks anymore. I downloaded all our recipes on a Kindle Fire Tablet. It's easily accessible and you download recipes on the internet directly. It neatly organizes your recipes and you can enter your own favorite recipes! It eliminates stacks of cookbooks and recipe boxes. I'm guess you can say I'm obsessed with being organized.
The recipe AP I use is called "Paprika." I just made a mount that slides for different heights since my wife much shorter than me. She loves it. Another thing that's so great about it, is when someone wants a copy of one of our recipes, all we have to do is call up the recipe and send it directly to their e-mail. We can also send it to our printer via wireless. Here's a picture of our set-up...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I cure and smoke a lot of duck breasts. I love any berry or rhubarb gastrique. So easy to make. Sugar and vinegar reduction.

What temp do you cook your duck? I like mine rare. Screw you usda! I refuse to cook duck to 165

It's amazing what learning techniques for sauces does for meals!

Must have to go low and slow for 165 that isn't blue in spots. I like the same if it's done correctly. I would rather die eating something delicious anyway than just about any other way.

I used to eat birthday meals at Uchi in Austin, there were a couple times I closed my eyes while eating I could have passed away as happy as a person could be.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I haven't charred my lemon grass. It just reached its full potency and will be trying some new stuff. Now that you mentioned it I will have to try it. Yes on salsa! And cutneys, just started branching out with fermenting and made peach chutney that was pretty good (the second time anyway, the first was a disaster)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Fermenting is great fun. When I make pickles I use half the salt on the pickles to draw out water before I brine. It gives them a great crunch.

Without technique you can't have consistency.

I love books. I like having a nice bookshelf of worthy recipes.

Have you ever tried to cure anything?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yeah, I use internet sites now. We literally just got rid of all of our cookbooks, well most of them. Allrecipes.com among others there is also, topsecretrecipes.com that one has a KFC coleslaw recipe that is spot on, and has other great recipes.

We also use family recipes for baking during the holidays. Those will always stay with us. I am going to make Clam Chowder this fall I think extra creamy with potatos , if you know a good recipe, I have never made it. Its just not cool enough right now for it here in So Cali, but as soon as it is, that is something I want to make homemade, also cheesy potato soup, would be good.

edit on 9-10-2017 by kurthall because: fix

<<   2  3  4 >>

join