It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea claimed it developed a "blackout bomb"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

South Korea has developed a type of graphite bomb aimed at paralysing North Korea’s power grid should Kim Jong-un provoke nuclear war. The Yonhap news agency in Seoul reports that the “blackout bomb” short-circuits electricity grids by spreading chemically treated carbon graphite filaments.

The type of bomb was first used against Iraq in the first Gulf War, and then by Nato against Serbia in 1999, where it knocked out between 75 and 80 per cent of power.

According to reports, the weapons have been developed by South Korea’s Agency for Defence Development as part of the Kill Chain pre-emptive strike program.

The report went on to say that a military official claimed the bomb can be built at "any time."

Source

Now I ask this:

Why in the world would South Korea advertise they have this capability? Aren't they just asking for North Korea to attack them? Are they nuts? Just use the darn thing.....don't broadcast it for all the world to hear. Smh.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune
Well, at least the North Korean people are used to going without electricity.
Have you ever saw the satellite photos of North Korea at night?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

That's a really clever way to cause blackouts- but it isn't really all that effective against a country that barely has any power grid at all.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Well, at least the North Korean people are used to going without electricity.
Have you ever saw the satellite photos of North Korea at night?

This is what I've heard. Haven't actually seen any of those photos.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The bomb is made of one man who flies in to North Korea and unscrews their one light bulb.....Boom!! whole country is dark!!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

That's a really clever way to cause blackouts- but it isn't really all that effective against a country that barely has any power grid at all.

I'm sure the North Korean military made provisions for their need of electricity. My concern is that South Korea made a huge mistake by advertising this new weapon.

Edit: Forgot to add this: If I was Kim, sitting in my office (or wherever) contemplating this latest news from South Korea, what would I be thinking?

How to disable the weapon or destroy it altogether before it can be used.

In other words, a pre-emptive strike.
edit on 9-10-2017 by dianajune because: forgot to add something

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Everybody wants to act like a real estate mogul trying to push a crappy sale through. New ideas all the time.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
These bombs aren't really a secret. The U.S. was using them as far back as 1990. The U.S. probably provided the tech to them at some point. I doubt any foreign governments including NK were surprised by that article.

Just more back and forth news releases. I expect to hear more from all sides today and tomorrow with it being the 10th in Korea today, and a possible test to coincide with that. ( Anniversary of the founding of the Worker’s Party of Korea. ) But maybe we'll get lucky and Kim will keep his toys in their box.
edit on 9-10-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am sure this was "gifted" to South Korea although the logic defies me why they chose to advertise it; especially if they really would not use it for fear of "whatever" retaliations they might incur.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes, just google NK at night or a similar phrase and you'll see how much it contrasts with South Korea at night. There's a marked difference.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sagacity

Yes, just google NK at night or a similar phrase and you'll see how much it contrasts with South Korea at night. There's a marked difference.

I just did that. What a contrast. Oh boy.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
the logic defies me why they chose to advertise it; especially if they really would not use it for fear of "whatever" retaliations they might incur.

Exactly the same could have been said about the North Korean threats against the United States.
In other words, North and South Koreans think in just the same way. At least they have that much in common.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yeah, really crazy after you get out of the capital. Even many places that do have electricity only have it for limited hours as I understand it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

None of that makes sense to me. If that type of bomb was used in the Gulf War and then again by Nato in 99 then why is South Korea only now getting around to 'developing' this type of weapon. It goes on to say that this bomb can be built ''at any time''. If this is so, then why isn't it already built and ready to go as part of the ''preemptive strike program''.

If they are going to build one what are they waiting for, NK to strike first? Then what does that have to do with a preemptive strike program.

More over, militarily, South Korea has always worked hand in hand with the US military since the conflict of the 50s. It is strange to believe that SK has just developed this bomb when the US military would most likely have shared this technology with them long ago.

I think that this ''news article'' is just a feel good and don't worry piece written to calm the fears of SK citizens.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

They're developing their own version of it, but they acquired the technology to develop it. So, while it's technically true they're developing it, they got outside help with it. They couldn't get the bomb itself, but they could get the technology for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

In this day and age the use of such a device would likely result in equal or greater retaliation.

MAD. It's no longer just for nukes.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't know about the reasons for the article, unless it's a bit of calm-mongering so the American people won't worry about the war that is coming....it's just a matter of time.

It defies logic that they are advertising they have this capability....almost as if they're egging on Lil' Kim, like they want a fight.

Makes me wonder what he thinks about this and what he intends to do.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Would the North Koreans even notice if the south launched that Blackout bomb.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

They advertise the same way the North does about having nukes. Achieves the same results

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join