It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American 777-300ER damaged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
An American Airlines 777-300ER was being loaded in Hong Kong when the cargo loader at the aft cargo hold ignited. The fire appears to have caused structural damage to the aircraft as well. One person on the ground was injured, and the aircraft is still being assessed.

airwaysmag.com...

American is saying that the aft cargo door was damaged, putting the aircraft out of service until at least tomorrow. It's a 3 year old aircraft, registered as N727AN, operating as AA192, Hong Kong to LA.

thepointsguy.com...
edit on 10/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Was it the loader or the container that ignited?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The loader set the cargo pallet on fire. It was initially reported as the container, but it started on the loader.
edit on 10/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Okay, thanks. At least is wasn't some device placed in the cargo.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yup just call the parts supplier and have a new door Fed Exed overnight. No problem.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

They'll have to inspect all around the door. I'm willing to bet it's going to be longer than a day. They've got to inspect the skin, under the skin around it, the window area, and replace the door.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

My initial reaction was they had Li batteries in the container, but then they corrected it to the loader.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
How not to load freight... not pretty.

So this is a ground-handling issue. I've never heard of the loader equipment causing a fire.

The airline spokesman clarified that “an external piece of loading equipment had a mechanical issue and caught fire while preparing to put cargo in the hold of American Airlines flight 192 from Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX) (…) As a result, a pallet on the loading equipment containing non-hazardous goods also caught fire.”

edit on 10-9-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: more info

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

I have one or two times, but they're usually pretty small. This is by far the biggest I've seen from one.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I have one or two times, but they're usually pretty small. This is by far the biggest I've seen from one.

Zooming into the picture, the fire is at least well outside the cargo hold. If they put the fire out quickly enough, the damage should be minimal. I can image what the folks at the gate were thinking.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I have a coworker who's a retired mechanic. When he read day all he could do is laugh. He figured a day before they even moved it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

We had a -135 that was in a hangar fire that was about that distance away from the aircraft. It did a surprising amount of damage and was put out by the suppression system almost immediately. It's largely going to be a matter of how hot it burned.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
From the photos, the loading device looks like a platform operated by a scissor-lift mechanism. How in the heck did that start a fire? I'm wracking my brain trying to imagine what went wrong that could have set the container on fire.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Looks like an engine fire. The equipment is known as a K-Loader.

There's a ramp video at the following link. They might have gotten lucky as hell.

www.avgeekery.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Yeah, I'm with him. It'll be at least a day before investigators get done doing their thing and releasing the aircraft, then at least a couple for the inspection.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Looks like an engine fire. The equipment is known as a K-Loader.

There's a ramp video at the following link. They might have gotten lucky as hell.

www.avgeekery.com...

Ah, so it started as an engine fire

I was trying to imagine friction in the lifter mechanism starting a fire, and it just wasn't making any sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

That video is the best look at the fire. The freight on the pallet was a total loss I'm sure. There are flames under the driver compartment. If that's where it started, it had a long way to travel up to the top. It looks more like the cargo caught fire first and spread below. I can't tell from the video who the ground handler is. But, it looks like AA is blaming them.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yeah, they said initially that it was the cargo, then said it was the loader, so they're putting this squarely on them. I hope they have good insurance. Triple Seven repairs ain't cheap.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That's what it looks like. The engine is in front, which is where the fire started before burning up to the cargo pallet.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yeah as noted it had better be more than a day to check that sucker IMHO. The last thing you want is some sort of failure of the cargo hatch in flight.

It looks like the fire fighting crew responded promptly. I have to admit Im a bit surprised from the twitter pics that they did not evacuate the passenger waiting area until the flames were put out.

I loaded bags at SFO one summer and we had all kinds of portable fire fighting gear on the ramp. The auxiliary power units were prone to overheat and a few caught fire. You would have thought there would be some portable equipment available in HK

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join