It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuck on Stupid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Several months ago a teacher where I work sold a coworker of mine a van for $250. It is an older van but has been faithfully maintained and she included everything needed to maintain it (air filters, spark plugs, oil filters, etc.), along with log books that had everything that was done to it and part numbers in case anything needed replaced. Good deal, huh? I thought so. Anywho, it's a stick shift and the guy couldn't drive one - not that he has a license but we'll get to that later. I showed him how to drive a stick, taking it around and around the school in the parking lot. He was doing a pretty good job and I told him to keep practicing and he'd get the hang of it.

Now for the part about the license. A guy on first shift requested a shift change. The coworker who bought the van has until the end of October to get his crap together (license and stuff) because he'll be going to first shift (he currently works second). He's tried (and failed) over and over to pass the written part of the test. He's too lazy to study and even admits it. He always has an excuse why he couldn't pass or even get there to take the test (he's within walking distance to the license branch but, again, is too lazy to walk there.

Since the dumb ass is to lazy to bother studying for the test he's now talking about selling the van and getting a moped. Now, this is Indiana and it gets damned cold in the winter. This idiot is going to get a moped that goes 20 miles an hour (any faster and he'd need a license for it) and lives at least twenty miles or so from work. That means he's going to be on the road for over an hour (traffic) on a thing that's too slow for travel on most streets in the freezing cold; all because he can't take the time to study for the test (or even walk there to take it). The guy who's going to first shift asked me if I'd like a moped (to mess with the other guy). Unable to control my tongue I told him that I'd rather have a van than a moped and listed the obvious reasons.

This guy keeps going on and on about how much he wants a moped because passing the test/driving the van is so hard. It's getting harder and harder to keep a neutral expression when I hear this stupidity. I just want to shake him until he smartens up.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
stupid is as stupid does- he'll wind up losing his job and living off your taxes soon enough.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
I actually wouldn't mind if he did lose the job. He bitches about the work and hours constantly, even though he knew what he was getting into when he applied for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
He sounds like a transitory nuisance ..... a whiner path of least resistance type. He's likely to disappear soon enough, not your problem...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: lordcomac
I actually wouldn't mind if he did lose the job. He bitches about the work and hours constantly, even though he knew what he was getting into when he applied for it.
I know the feeling.
Only problem is, he'll wind up living in that $250 van, living on your paychecks.
Then he'll knock up some street rat, and they'll get free housing on your dime.
His health insurance (paid for by you) will be better than your own, and your taxes will pay what the insurance won't. They'll live in a nice apartment on your tab, and pop out a few loser kids who grow up to....
.... wind up living in a van they bought for $250 schmeckels off a co-worker, before getting fired and living in that van...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Get him a Vespa.

Then he'll just disappear. To the sounds of lips blupbluping into the darkening twilling sunset.

edit on 9/10/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Recommend a decent moped, let him get tired of freezing his ass off and quits because it's too far in cold weather.
Idiot gone. Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Are you sure he can read? He might not want to take the test for that reason, but is too embarrassed to admit it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Nah, give the guy a break, i know a person who has driven a moped to work for twenty years, and its a long way, and we have long and freezing winters in around here.

Another guy rides a bicycle, (and also works far away from his home) and has done so for almost 30 years, and only once, has he almost died of pneumonia.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll
He can read. Funny thing is that the other guy who was giving him crap is illiterate and passed the written part of the test because somebody read the questions to him.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Eh, I've known a few people like that.

I mean, who spends a great deal of money on college fees and tools for a given trade, finds a great job that pays decently and whose boss is a very nice person, then just gets up and walks out one day because they didn't like being told what to do? I still have no idea what was going through this person's head that they'd do that. Especially when they had a family to help support. (This person has grown up a lot and is now a responsible father and husband.)

Something tells me your friend is a very immature person and just hasn't had life kick him in the rear enough yet. Hopefully, this experience will teach him something. One can always hope?
edit on 10/9/2017 by Subrosabelow because: stoopid spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Heres the thing Skid Mark. You cannot help someone who refuses to help themselves.

The man will either take proper advantage of your mentorship, or be about as receptive to it as a GOP senate/congress to a compassionate and fair overhaul of the judiciary and the laws it operates on. All you can do is offer the help you have, and see whether the fellow will fly or crash. Seems that you have done your part.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Why so worked up? You can't change anyone other then yourself?

He may be brilliant in another area and as you may be 'stupid' in certain areas or subjects.

Don't judge people - it's easier.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Why so worked up? You can't change anyone other then yourself?

He may be brilliant in another area and as you may be 'stupid' in certain areas or subjects.

Don't judge people - it's easier.

Ummm...that's right...

Don't judge me Bro...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Well, if he gets the moped, either he'll freeze, or decide studying for the test isn't such a bad idea after all. Only time will tell!!

Of course, if he can't pass a written test, is he really smart enough to survive traffic on a moped?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Of course, if he can't pass a written test, is he really smart enough to survive traffic on a moped?

That's a good idea. He drove the van to work illegally one night. On his way home he took a wrong turn. My friend and I were right behind him and we started laughing. He was supposed to turn left but he went right.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

That's a good idea. He drove the van to work illegally one night. On his way home he took a wrong turn. My friend and I were right behind him and we started laughing. He was supposed to turn left but he went right.

Oh, wow.....how does this kid manage to even work? Is he on something, or just terminally dense?

Can't even find his way home.....wow.....

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
He's terminally dense.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

He's terminally dense.

I know the sort!!

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It just keeps getting better. He sold the van and got a bicycle. That's right. He's going to be riding that thing in the winter time on busy roads, on ice, traffic whipping by him, shaking the bike and freezing him with their slipstream for miles and miles. It would take him at least four hours on a bike. A lot of it is uphill. I'm completely baffled. Why? The test isn't hard. A coworker even offered to give him a ride.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join