It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LV Shooter Stephen Paddocks' 'Electronic Devices'; A Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hi ATS.

I've just been made aware of some recently published news relating to the Las Vegas shooting, and it's made me ponder something.

Around a week ago, news was published stating that Paddock was in possession of as-yet identified (publicly at least) 'electronic devices', and that forensic expert were examining them to determine their role in the whole sickening ordeal;

[...] Electronic devices were also discovered, but police forensic experts were still examining them to determine their purpose.

'Revealed: Full Shocking 42-Weapon Arsenal of Stephen Paddock, Including AR-15s, an AK-47, and Four Daniel Defense DDM4 Rifles' -
Linky

In recent hours, information has come to light in relation to what was written on the mysterious note spotted on the small table, which up until now has been kept under tight wraps;

In the room, the officers also found a handwritten note with calculations of distance and trajectory from his window to the crowd below, Newton said.

'Las Vegas Police Officers Describe Storming Gunman's Room' - Linky

So, my theory based on the above?

Paddock had bought himself a tactical laser rangefinder, and that one of these is one of the as-yet publicly identified electronic devices found inside the hotel room.

We know he had already gone to great lengths to take out as many innocents with him as he could, evidenced further by his failed attempt at sourcing tracer rounds;

The Las Vegas gunman, Stephen Paddock, tried to buy tracer rounds at a gun show in Arizona just ahead of massacre of 58 people - which would have let him target his victims in the dark. Tracer rounds are bullets that contain a pyrotechnic charge and when fired leave a bright path towards its target. These have usually been used in military settings to mark targets for soldiers during nighttime battles.

[...] Shooters wanting greater accuracy in the dark often tracer and non-tracer ammunition — perhaps having one tracer every fifth round in a magazine, said Art Roderick, a former assistant director of the US Marshals Service.

“It allows you to keep your weapon on not necessarily a specific target, but a specific area. ... There would have been a lot higher casualty rate if he had tracer rounds,” said Roderick

Also worth noting at this point are the reports of how accurate his shooting seemed to be; Las Vegas Detective Casey Clarkson was quoted (second link above) as saying how he "wondered how the shooter could be so accurate".

So, I looked into modern range finders just prior to typing out this post, and lo-and-behold, the first model that I clicked on had features including, but not limited to;

*E.S.P. (Extreme. Speed. Precision.) Provides up to 1/2 yard accuracy and 1/10th yard display precision

*Built in inclinometer provides ARC

*ARC Rifle Mode – provides bullet-drop/holdover in inches, MOA & Mil

Linky

I don't mind admitting to you fine folk that I know next to nothing about tactical rangefinders other than they use lasers to pull off their technical wizardry, but what say you, ATS, could one of the as-yet-unnamed electronic devices found inside the hotel room be one of these?

*Please note that this post is simply the ramblings of an inquiring mind*

edit on 28/12/12 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: clarification

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I am also no expert, but it seems to me that the DDM4 is, in fact, a variant of the AR-15, with a heap of bells and whistles on it, like posh grip coverings, extra spiffy stock, and a whole other bunch of features which, although improvements over a more basic AR, do not actually comprise enough of a difference to name them as being essentially separate from an AR-15.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Why would any citizen need advanced military grade weapon accouterments other than to kill civilians? I get the argument from the right murder is already illegal and Paddock murdered anyway. However, I'm not sure military grade devices to ensure the maximum amount of death in the shortest amount of time being legal may be too much. We do not allow the sale of stinger missiles on the side of the road in Elizabeth New Jersey next to Newark Airport for a reason.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

How many rounds per minute?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Thanks for the reminder about the note being 'Ballistic Data'. That is the official story, they even addressed it on 60 minutes.

Reminder, not note, only 'data'. Which is pretty much useless at night when firing sustained on full automatic. The area target was so large and dense he didn't really need to 'accurately' shoot at 22,ooo people 400 yards away.

In combat, tracers can be used to designate a target, the back lash is they also designate the shooter's position.

I don't believe the bullet data was something he required. If he planned this far ahead, scouting out targets well in advance he would already know what the ranges were, that both .223 and .308 would drop @ 30 inches, give or take.

He wasn't trying to play sniper, he was hosing down an area target.

As far as tactical scopes, one of the AR's in the pics released looked like it had one . His revolver appeared to have a built in laser too. I'm not linking that pic, too grizzly.

Other electronic devices could also include the security camera setup.. The cameras would have been wireless maybe.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
There was nothing in that room that was military grade

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Why would any citizen need advanced military grade weapon accouterments other than to kill civilians?

Range shooting is fun. Plinkers enjoy lighting up targets.

If you've never been out on a weekend when everyone concentrates fire on cans or jugs all at once, you aren't an avid gun owner.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

But if the media doesn't use buzz words like 'military grade' how will they ever scare the bejesus out of people who don't know much about firearms?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

He meant Military style. Tell that to the people on the receiving end. ETA: Both. 308 and .223 calibre are used by the US military and NATO.

Everyone there now knows what its like to be in warfare. We wage it so freely on other states, but before this event, only soldiers could tell you what its like to be on the receiving end of automatic (Style) weapons fire.
edit on 9-10-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Why would any citizen need advanced military grade weapon accouterments other than to kill civilians? I get the argument from the right murder is already illegal and Paddock murdered anyway. However, I'm not sure military grade devices to ensure the maximum amount of death in the shortest amount of time being legal may be too much. We do not allow the sale of stinger missiles on the side of the road in Elizabeth New Jersey next to Newark Airport for a reason.

Agree on the Stinger missile system But there isn't really anything that he had or used that was that advanced or high tech. Many hunters use rangefinders of various sorts etc. and have for years.

As for the specific weapons used, TrueBrit kinda hit it on the head there. Daniel Defense AR rifles are simply higher end, better quality rifles. That goes with the higher price tag as well. ( They aren't cheap heh.)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Its a semi-automatic rifle as it comes from the factory, so I understand. The cyclical rate of anything this shooter used in his attack, has more to do with what illegal modifications he made to the rifle, than it does with the construction of the rifles he purchased.

One does not, as far as I know, state the cyclical rate of a semi-auto, because the entire idea is that one can only fire but a single round, for each trigger pull, meaning the speed at which this can happen, depends on the speed of the shooter, not the weapon under normal circumstances.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

has more to do with what illegal modifications he made to the rifle,

He just had bump fire stocks which are not illegal. You can bump fire ANY semi-auto firearm without any modification what so ever. Those stocks are, IMO, stupid and a waste of money. All it does is waste a bunch of ammo. I tend to think it was lucky he didn't keep it semi auto and take his time to aim with each shot. It could have been even worse than it was.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The Dainel Defense DDM4 is an AR, nothing too special. Like most mid to top shelf rifles you can get them with all kinds of options. Daniel Defense makes some mighty fine ARs, but they're not fully auto or any more special than most AR rifles...they're just quality made.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
They weren't illegal modifications. Bump stocks and 100rd mags (which look like Surefire ones) are legal there.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

It was just bump stocks then, no trigger group replacements, altered lowers, home milled receivers or anything like that?

Odd. You would have thought that more would have been made of the fact that nothing on any of his weapons was illegal, than there has been.

I was led to believe that some significant alteration had been made to the actual mechanical elements of the rifle. My sincerest apologies for the oversight there, FauxMulder.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Not to my knowledge. Everything has been reported to make it sound that way though so its understandable that a lot of people may think that.

An undisclosed number of the weapons at the crime scene are believed to have been modified with technology known as a "bump-stock'' that allows for rapid firing, similar to a machine gun, two people familiar with the matter said.

The problem with that statement though, like I said earlier, you do not need a special stock to do a bump fire.

But how well it works is dependent on the user. That's why we had a thread saying it was weird how the firing seemed to slow down and speed up. It was because of the bump firing. Basically you hold your trigger finger stiff as could be and instead of pulling back on the trigger, you pull the rifle forward into your trigger finger, you keep pulling forward on the rifle and the recoil of the weapon makes it go back and forth thus firing it rapidly.

edit on 9-10-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yes, I am familiar with the concept, basically because YouTube is a fascinating place to spend an evening!

I have seen quite a few of the shooting sports Tubers doing bump fires, normally from hip height. I imagine the idea of the sprung stock, is that it permits the rifle to be more easily shouldered, while operating in this manner?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Why would any citizen need advanced military grade weapon accouterments

To fight a tyrannical government. Good luck defending yourself with a slingshot.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

YouTube is a fascinating place to spend an evening!

You got that right, one can easily get lost in the land of YouTube.

is that it permits the rifle to be more easily shouldered, while operating in this manner?

Yes and they usually have a piece that covers the trigger so you don't accidentally keep it pulled down when it recoils keeping it from firing again when you pull the rifle back forward. For around 400 dollars they are an expensive way to waste a lot of ammo.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I am also no expert, but it seems to me that the DDM4 is, in fact, a variant of the AR-15, with a heap of bells and whistles on it, like posh grip coverings, extra spiffy stock, and a whole other bunch of features which, although improvements over a more basic AR, do not actually comprise enough of a difference to name them as being essentially separate from an AR-15.

A bullet hole is a bullet hole.
One is not better than another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join