It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove: When "SJW" Goes Wrong

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn
a reply to: interupt42
Wonder how many would be outraged if in removing the shirt a white woman washed off her makeup to become black?

They wouldn't sell much soap that way.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Was Michael Jackson a racist. He made a life's work to turn white as far as I can tell.

To the OP. People are becoming irrationally offended by nothing except their imagination. So sad. Soon we'll all be robots thinking the same thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Special ad Dove is running for Columbus Day:

Thats Indigenous People's Day, you Nazi.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Wow, people need to get over themselves.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Wow, people need to get over themselves.

Welcome to Snowflake Society.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Was Michael Jackson a racist. He made a life's work to turn white as far as I can tell.

To the OP. People are becoming irrationally offended by nothing except their imagination. So sad. Soon we'll all be robots thinking the same thing.

Yep,I was personally offend as a male.

Clearly dove thinks of males as being so insignificant that we weren't even covered in the ad.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

HaAAaAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAAA!

Oh my hells, that cracked me up hard. I don't think it's fair to conflate this with an "SJW" effort (unless you are one of those types who thinks including a black person is SJW).

This is freakin' hilarious. I feel terrible for whoever green-lit this thing. Still laughing.

Don't feel too bad for them. You know what the poster didn't show you? The full advert. Not to suggest the poster is at fault, I don't think the full advert has been released, only this single snippet.

(edited to add: looks like Dove have now released the full advert)

The description of the full advert, however, shows multiple changes. Immediately after this, for instance, the white woman then turns into an Asian woman.

Taken together, it's just showing how the product works for everyone. Take this one little snippet and ignore the rest, however, and it suddenly looks like Dove is claiming it can turn black women into white women.

To be fair, Dove do have a history with putting their foot in their mouth, but this current issue is like me editing your post to only show two or three words that send a very different message than you intended!

edit on Ev03MondayMondayAmerica/ChicagoMon, 09 Oct 2017 15:03:26 -05008772017b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't get why sjw is in the title of this thread? Meaning-Social Justice Warrior.

It should just be "when advertising goes wrong"

Right?

Everyone has an opinion, a charity, goes to events, gets outraged by something, advocates for their children etc. All advertisers get some things wrong. We all push for our personal agenda. We all do things to benefit our family, our neighborhood, our city, our county, our state, our country, our religion etc.

We're all Social Justice Warriors in a sense, then? We're all Human also. Maybe a better title for this thread is "When being human goes wrong."
edit on 9-10-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Absolutely love me a good sjw virtue signal fail.
Pepsi, Audi, Dove...
Bunch of marketing geniuses!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

So, if the white woman was first, would it not be racist?
Or
Would it still be racist because the white lady was first, and the black lady was after her?
What if they didn't have the black lady in the commercial at all?
Would that be racist because it excluded black people?
What if they made separate commercials for white and black people?
Racist for segregating?

It doesn't matter what they do, if you look hard enough, you can call it racist these days.
It's pathetic and everyone knows it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I can't be the only one who thinks this was intentional, right?!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ventian
I can't be the only one who thinks this was intentional, right?!

Right, if not intentional then the levels of incompetence and ignorance this went through before being recognized as being a problem are almost incomprehensible.

They can't possibly be that stupid can they?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
A guy at work was taking about this and he asked me "Are black people ever happy with anything?"

Which made me wonder, are these serial complainers being pushed by something in order to make people want to steer clear of different racial groups in order to live an easy, drama free life? Or are they just a holes who are stupidly allowed a platform to air their rubbish?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Is that any more racist that this?

Or how about all of these?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I got my degree in marketing back in 1987. We actually talked about how commercials must NEVER depict blacks or is it African Americans now, I can never tell which to use, as being stupid or demeaned in any way. You will have some usually white person saying something stupid and a black or AA helps the poor pitifully confused soul out. You might have a black man on a tums commercial have His black wife treat him like a child, but you will NEVER see the roles reversed. This was marketing 101. It's always ok to demean white men especially either by a white woman or a black couple etc.. It's all about social programming and not getting flack.

We had assignments to watch hours of commercials to see the examples. Here's a couple:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Great second video. It shows exactly what I was referring to before I read your reply. It's true. It's quite expected to degrade white males, and have blacks smarter, better looking, and better in every way. It's just reverse racism. We are being trained to laugh at whites, and become extra sensitive to all things racial. It's sickening really.

I have to add, that anyone who denies what we're saying, you know darn well if you put a black man in a commercial, put a lamp on his head and laughed at him, the company doing it would be boycotted for eternity and media would be demanding an explanation over and over for what is that company saying about black men. That video was so on point to the social programming issue in this topic.

edit on 9-10-2017 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

wow a corporation who happens to be racist, a turn up for the books !

their marketing team must be idiots

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

They can be that stupid, but marketing is filled with sjw crazies that would spot this immediately. No way this wasn't for publicity. What's the saying, "there's no such thing as bad press"?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
You cannot joke about anything these days.
There will always be someone offended.

Well except white people, you can make fun of them and be racist all day long where they're concerned.
Well you cannot be racist to them, because it's never racist where they're concerned.... or so we're told.

I miss the days when # had context, where it was not what you said but how you said it, the intent.

These days you just say hello to someone and you're instantly a self loathing white supremacist homophobic misogynist cis-gendered scum.

I really am beginning to think the problem is 95% of humans brains are unable to keep up with our technology and science which is advancing oddly enough, faster than we are.

As we are forced to see the true scope and size of the universe, we'll see more and more people put their head in the sand and find dramas in everything down here so they can try and block out just how small and insignificant we really are.

Oh well time to sit back and wait for the next stupid thing. My money is on chocolate snacks. Because chocolate is brown and that's racist.

edit on 12-10-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: reasons of editing is a edit of reasons.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't understand what the product is or what it does.

I don't understand the Ad either.

Can someone please explain what this is supposed to do and/or be?

Thanks.

We have to explain soap to you now?

Soap to me is a bar of Irish Spring...what the hell are these bottles?
Don't worry they come in bars too. I get the shea butter with vanilla.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join