It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the internet gets banned?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I highly doubt that will occur, it comes down to the constitution. Not just the US constitution, the ones modeled after the US's. Many of these governments value "Free Speach" or something like that

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

What if the internet gets banned?

Then we'd have a LOT more to worry about than where to talk about aliens.....

Classic~

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
To take down the web every countrys gov would have to agree to take all DNS servers and stop all ISP from supplying internet access (There first prob you need to pay all those ISP quite a few out there)

Secondly it is possible to restrict the internet each country use unique IP to show which country data coming from does it not???? If i am correct then you could simply start blocking outside internet traffic (Like china) and then scan everything that ppl look at.

They will ocntrol the internet soon when internet2 comes out faster speeds better infrustructure owned by one company any one small freedom of speach going down the drain......

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
it wouldn't be by the government. Why would the government force people to complain to them? You know the pen and paper would be running in short supply, the post office would be backed up for miles and governors wouldn't be able to open their office door without a boatload of mail falling on top of them. Besides, how else would the government continue to control us if there's no internet?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is so silly...I doubt it would ever happen, not now.....but if it did, we would go back to doing a lot of reading, we'd learn of things through books, clubs, and things gone "underground"......jsut like we used to before the internet!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Yeah, ok what I'm saying though is even though the mainstream sheep feeders still go on about us being tinfoil hat wearing xfiles freaks, the fact is that slowly, more and more ppl are actually turning away from TV and starting to come online and look at this stuff, and alot of 'em are realizing there's something to it and we're not all bloody looney tunes eh? Eventually something'll give, and ppl will realize just how fake the 'news' and media is/are.

When that happens, I'm sure the governments of the world (I mean the world not just US / UK) are not gonna want the sheep revolting and they'll shut it down, somehow. If I was a dodgy politician and a few million ppl were reading about how dodgy I was I wouldn't care too much but when everyone starts turning away from sheep TV and finds out how dodge I am, well I wouldn't let that happen, and If I had the power to stop ppl from reading up on me, and alien stuff and just all the conspiracies out there/here then I would do it.

I dunno I think the net will go down sooner or later, but it won't stay down and then when it comes back sh*t'll hit the fan.

And X Files is cool.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
If the liberal leftist at the DNC continue their assault on the "net" then ban it...........

I kind of like being assauted by the liberals. It's like a fly pestering you and then WHAM!, the fly is history!

Their assaults don't mean a thing to me!

They get mad because it doesn't mean anything to us true conservatives.

Hey! Wait a minute! What the heck am I doing talking politics on the UFO and Aliens forum?

Back to the topic! The Internet can't be banned. The Greys will never allow that! Ask the military!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If we lose the internet, the US will economically go Third World very fast. Trust me, the internet isn't going anywhere.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
HEY LadyV that's an awesome drawing; who is the artist?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
its impossble to ban the internet, only need a cheap pc line moden your set 4 life.

you really think the gov could shoutdown evey single phone line in the world that drives the internet ??? think again few isp but thats all.

connecting to the net needs a telphone line
am so smart grrrrrrr

by the way when i talk abt phone lines i mean ISPs which provide net access

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Mr Alexander]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Your question is defintly a good one, well through it news travels quickly and it contains so much information regarding anything useful and then some garbage but overall if it was banned then we as humans will be shut from the rest of the world.....Which would be bad.

Now the funny thing is that through the internet freedom of speech is global, not just in US borders but world wide....

Alot of individuals world wide have the internet to free themselves from whatever controlling goverment their under.

Now all this talk about NWO will suggest that if the internet ever gets band then thats the day the world is one goverment....

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
on the contrary wouldnt the internet be the perfect place to spread pro NWO propganda?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
A total stop to the internet will never happen, the community is to large and to advanced to let this happen and even if certain parts of the net would be taken offline or shielded(like China already is extremely shielded and filtered) the underground will always find ways to bypass it or communicate in other ways.

Back in the day before the net was even born, us geeks dialed into BBS systems and telnet servers to get our kicks, most of these systems were already partialy or fulltime interlinked forming sort of a localized internet.

I wouldn't mind if the following ISP's were 100% blocked or kept of good sites though

AOL(need I say more??? ... not only the ISP is rotten to the bone, their clientel is even worse 99% of the time)
MSN(same as above yet not quite as bad, MS does have some sort of good influence it seems)
Earthlink Dialup(they lag the friggin #z out of all good online game servers!!!)

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I doubt the internet would get 'banned'.

It often occured to me that it may be the beginnings of the largest surveillance operation, for the NWO (I know this is veering into the NWO forum discussion here).

There are street cameras everywhere, and the ID cards (and microchips?) are forth-coming - It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see a situation where the internet is much more monitored, not only where our online activities are monitored, but also to the point where we are personally monitored - our eye-scan, heart-rate, and such (I dunno why that information would be useful, just thinking off the cuff here).

I'm sure, like all rules, there would be a way of breaking them, and people would use grey-market/illegal methods to get round the monitoring and such.

Big brother and all that.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i think that we could find out from TV or newspapers but if the internet got banned that would suck really bad

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
The internet is a MAJOR part of our economy now. Banning it would be like banning food.

I agree, it couldn't realisticly happen i dont think.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That would really suck if the internet got banned i would sue sombody

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I would sue the person who made the internet banned
lol I would just get one from a garbage place.Lol

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Internet cannot be 'banned' in any real way. The heart of the Internet is the Transmission Control Protocol, of which the Internet Protocol is a subset. The acronym, TCP/IP is pretty well known. It was the Defense and Research Projects Agency (DARPA) which ordered engineers to build a "computer network that cannot be destroyed by nuclear war". That's what the Internet is: A network that cannot be destroyed by outside means. If there are one hundred servers and ninety-seven go dead, the other three will still be able to communicate. That's the Internet.

Any vulnerability in the Internet now is one of software. Recently there have been screw-ups with the DNS servers, one of which brought down large regions for several hours but the Internet did not go down. It would take a very well-crafted DNS screw up to bring the Internet down. It would take a conspiracy.

Actually, the main achilles heel of the internet is death-by-administration. If this happens (ISPs being regulated out of business, nationalized, etc) then I would imagine that there would be a fracture of the Internet into smaller walled-off "nets". Also, if companies like AOL can continue to refer to themselves as "The Internet" then I imagine their customers will continue to believe that.

What if if AOL 'partnered' with the government and citizens were allowed to have a free PC? That government could then control what sort of Internet those free-PC citizens see. That'd be the best way to do it, IMO. Have some shill politician suggest this crazy plan where "your tax dollars will buy you a PC!" He could play on people's increasing fears of 'identity theft' ...After all, whom would you trust with your identity if not Uncle Sam? The trend toward firewalls and viruses will not abate in any way. It'll get ten-times worse. As a result, eventually the average end-user of the PC will be happy to accept a Federally-Overseen-Internet the minute one comes with a free PC that the government repairs/secures for them. Don't we have a Department of Transportation? I believe you'll soon also have Department of Personal Computing. If this happens, watch for the free PCs. :^)

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
...if they ban the internet...we might have to start going OUTSIDE.

Damn them and their evil games and ideas. The fresh air, sky...members of the opposite sex! What will we do!

Anyone with half a brain knows, A)They can already control the media if it's a Country based domain. (For example, German domains can ban and have sites shut down if they deem them un-exceptable.) So can other nations.

.org, .com, etc, won't ever be fully government controlled because people earn so much from them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join