It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - ‘No deal’ planning is well under way, says Minister

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have to admit

Actually quite impressed at how civilised this thread has been, the leavers and remainers have posted strong opinions here and so far it’s all been fairly calm.

This is what ATS is all about (well, when we are discussing politics and not aliens of course)

I may make threads like this more often.

Faith in ATS restored

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Joe and John along with Jake Burns helped shape my worldview when I was young.
The passion may not burn as brightly nowadays and I may be a lot more cynical in my outlook, however, I like to think I've stayed more or less true to those values to this day.

I may not have agree with all their politics but Tony Benn, Michael Foot, Denis Skinner etc were all politicians of conviction who believed what they said and thought they were acting in the countries and electorates best interests.
Hell, even Michael Heseltine was a man of conviction - remember him waving the mace around in the Commons and his resignation over the Westlands affair - none of todays crop would have the same passion and strength of conviction.

As Joe said "Anger can be power".

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thing is, so many people are so brow beaten and dare I say brainwashed that they firmly accept and believe the myth that there are no other viable options other than those that we have at present.

Is it any wonder that a system that promotes mediocrity and the continuance of the status quo that people accept the easy option and are petrified of the unknown.

The status quo, with little exception being Westminster, and probably without exception over the last 70 years and more fawning to whom, It's not the EU is it...wonder?
Think about that, our great parliament kept poor people poor, middle classes as obedient and lawful and idealist, the upper class, the rulers, who despite all 'the changes' after WW2 still rule the roost..they never liked the EU per se, still though they liked the shinola, one good reason for the UK never being a full member of the EU, still and all, anyone really observant will understand that the working class perspective changed exponentially as the EU progressed, the working class were almost suddenly able to find that a weeks pay went a little further than just a cigarette and a pint for the old lad at weekends, and pay the rent etc.... that being something that was the fare in Britain for hundreds of years.
The EU is nothing more than a huge co-op, a credit union where everyone has the same entitlement regardless of what is paid in. The UK parliament revenue hasn't a hope in hell of matching that..ever, the colonies have gone..can't rely on those natives any more.. blah blah..for a few dodgy gained shekels.
So a hard Brexit eh!
Oh yes, the bumbling Boris will enjoy that, I dare say quite a few will, like lord Young of "Eeeh, the homeless are those you step over going into the opera" quote fame.

I really am glad I won't be around long enough to see the shiite hit the fan...at least I hope I won't.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Definitely agree with most of that

Anger is the only power that you have when you aren't a product of Eton or Harrow or some such place.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Farmers here in the UK and in the EU take turns at producing certain goods at certain times, it also allows the land to recover. It's produce managment on a massive scale and it works. It keeps prices at a level where most can afford it

No disrespect, but you are you are ignorant of agriculture economics. Farming and fisheries are two areas the EU has royally fukked up. The Common Agricultural Policy has been instrumental in destroying the countryside in the UK and making some landowners very, very rich. Fishing communities - including in Scotland - have been impoverished by the need to keep fleets of foreign trawlers economic.

If there was a reason to leave the EU it would be to escape from the ludicrous CAP and CFP.

If the EU hadn't man managed the north sea their would be no fish left UK Fishermen would have raped it until the last cod was trawled from the bottom of the sea.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Someone on here said of Farmers when i mentioned they will no longer get subsidies,.." oh well, they will need to work harder"...

Yeah, that was me I think.

It was said slightly tongue in cheek and more for dramatic effect than accuracy - I should know better.

Farmers work very hard - not sure about never having an holiday, one I know is currently in Thailand and Cambodia with some mates of mine, never appealed to me.

Here in Scotland the farmers have to work a lot harder because of the difference in climate from down south. Cold and Damp, it might not seem much but just a few hundred miles nearer the equator does make a difference. The farm local to me has only just lifted the crops in the past week, holding back on at least a dry week that never seems to come. The crops value plummets when you have to pay to dry out the grain.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusiondoe
I have to admit

Actually quite impressed at how civilised this thread has been, the leavers and remainers have posted strong opinions here and so far it’s all been fairly calm.

This is what ATS is all about (well, when we are discussing politics and not aliens of course)

Faith in ATS restored

Speak for yourself, in this thread alone I've smashed two mice, punched my keyboard several times, threw a banana at the screen and nutted the cat.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

If the EU hadn't man managed the north sea their would be no fish left UK Fishermen would have raped it until the last cod was trawled from the bottom of the sea.

There's no evidence that the UK would have done that. What is well evidenced is that under the CFP overfishing became endemic until they were forced to act. Indeed, overfishing continues across several species.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I have to admit

Faith in ATS restored

Thats what happens on a British thread

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have to admit

Faith in ATS restored

Thats what happens on a British thread

It's because we are on the Tea, Just wait till the weekend and the potato juice kicks in.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Here in Scotland the farmers have to work a lot harder because of the difference in climate from down south.

That's not strictly true. The type of agriculture change with the climate. The climate in Scotland is good enough to support a healthy soft fruit sector. Scottish farmers work no harder than English farmers, or Spanish farmers come to that. What Scotland has is some very, very rich landowners who profit from subsidies courtesy of the Common Agricultural Policy.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
If i was part of the UK government, i would say anyone that moved to the UK since brexit law passed. Those people have to leave the country once it's finalized. The UK should of never gave up control of it's border to allow uncheck migration. That is suicide for a nation.

I still can't believe the UK government refuses to do anything about the no go zones for non-muslims. What kind of country allows a religious extremist group to setup areas like that. If you attack people that's not part of your religion, that makes you an extremist.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
I still can't believe the UK government refuses to do anything about the no go zones for non-muslims. What kind of country allows a religious extremist group to setup areas like that. If you attack people that's not part of your religion, that makes you an extremist.
Ummm, what no-go zones are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Here is something to consider regarding the skank in question outlining the systematic sexual abuse of children by members of the British government.

Buried by the likes of her and the government of the time and today for that matter so as not to make a fuss.

Plainly clear really that not much was of any consequence to Thatcher aside from furthering her agenda.

www.ukprogressive.co.uk...
www.facebook.com...
edit on 10-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Party political system aside, which i completely agree is broken beyond repair, and by design no less, these Bastards are always going to try and exploit the system, it's what they do really, that being subvert the law to there own purpose and political agenda with little regard for any real measure of justice.

Thing with a re-boot is that it's not that simple, in as much as i wish we could, we cannot simply turn society off and then back on again unless we wish to see another dark age of sorts.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Here in Scotland the farmers have to work a lot harder because of the difference in climate from down south. Cold and Damp, it might not seem much but just a few hundred miles nearer the equator does make a difference. The farm local to me has only just lifted the crops in the past week, holding back on at least a dry week that never seems to come. The crops value plummets when you have to pay to dry out the grain.

Yep, I can understand that, Northern Ireland can be a trial for farmers at times, and nothing is guaranteed.
It's a pity Trump didn't appreciate the hard work of farmers like the farmer in Aberdeen whom he said lived like pigs.

That's what I call a real "special relationship" don't you think?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

"That's what I call a real "special relationship" don't you think?"

Is this the farmer in question per chance?

I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before.
LoL
edit on 10-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

I am not surprised in the slightest that this has happened.

I seriously think nothing good will come of this at all
for anyone

and once more the people of the UK suffer whilst the rich are laughing at us for allowing it all to happen
corporate buddies with their government pals cash in , and we all join the queue at foodbanks
edit on 10-10-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
They just want our money, we don't need Europe.

# them .

We here in Canada want your trade too. Wanna join NA+UK+FTA?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Here in Scotland the farmers have to work a lot harder because of the difference in climate from down south.

That's not strictly true. The type of agriculture change with the climate. The climate in Scotland is good enough to support a healthy soft fruit sector. Scottish farmers work no harder than English farmers, or Spanish farmers come to that. What Scotland has is some very, very rich landowners who profit from subsidies courtesy of the Common Agricultural Policy.

Not all farmers are land owners.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join