It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - ‘No deal’ planning is well under way, says Minister

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Its just a differing political view point really.

I was really split on Brexit, in the end I voted to remain, the biggest reason for me voting remain was simply that I did not feel that the Brexit camp had been able to give us a ac curate picture of what a post-Breixt UK would look like.

It is entirely possible that if they came out with a deal that looks good that I would probably vote it in. However if a deal is put forward that looks like it is going to cause the uk economy to absolutely tank for the next decade then no thank you.

I really do think that right at the start Cameron should have said that was going to be the plan, have a vote on if the country wants Brexit then once a Brexit deal is established a second vote to secure leaving the union.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Apparently, the amount of people who Googled "What is Brexit?" the next day after the referendum was through the roof.

That's rather an alarming factor of concern on its own never mind the lack of workable, implementable, exit strategy or plan.

We don't want to play anymore is not a plan which is what this "No Deal Planning" amounts to, it' akin to the U.K pretty much flinging their toys out the pram really.

Were pretty much Cartman at the end of the day. LoL
edit on 9-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

We don't want to play anymore is not a plan which is what this "No Deal Planning" amounts to, it' akin to the U.K pretty much flinging their toys out the pram really

You would rather the government not plan for there being no deal ?
If we get a deal that works for both sides that will be good but if the EU remain set on trying to punish us for daring to leave their club then it makes sense to plan for all eventualities ... No ?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Of course, and nothing wrong with that.

......the biggest reason for me voting remain was simply that I did not feel that the Brexit camp had been able to give us a ac curate picture of what a post-Breixt UK would look like.

You're right they didn't, but when you dislike something as much as I dislike the bloated, corrupt, authoritarian and undemocratic EU and believe passionately in the sovereignty of the UK elected Assemblies then the only option was to vote Out.

However if a deal is put forward that looks like it is going to cause the uk economy to absolutely tank for the next decade then no thank you.

I'm 52 years old and live in North East England.....ever since Thatcher was elected all I've known is economic hardship.
If it means a few more years of hardship in order to set things right so that my daughter, grandson etc can reap the benefits in the future then I've got absolutely no problem with that.

I really do think that right at the start Cameron should have said that was going to be the plan, have a vote on if the country wants Brexit then once a Brexit deal is established a second vote to secure leaving the union.

But it was never the plan so why should he have said it?
We can blame and criticise Cameron for many, many things, but not that.
It was made very clear to everyone before the vote took place - a simple in or out, nothing else. There was never even the remotest suggestion that a second referendum would ever be required, and why would there be on such a straight forward issue?

If Scotland had voted for independence would a second referendum have been required?
I don't think Sturgeon would have been championing that would she?

Let's just bloody come out, bollocks to bowing down to the EU - they need our trade just as much as we need theirs.

Then lets get rid of these careerist politicians across the political divide who think they have a divine right to rule and exploit as they see fit and unite and work towards making this country something we ALL can be proud of.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Sorry, but seriously, are you insane? Do you guys seriously have no idea how catastrophic it will be for the country to have no deal?

It will be Bombardier scale craziness, but on every single good we export.

Do you know what wto rules do to our agricultural sector? They end it. Every farm in the country goes bust.

The banks are already moving operations OUT of the City! Setting up in Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt. I swear this whole Brexit thing is like one bad nightmare for all of us. Our currency has already collapsed. Holy smoke things looked pretty reasonable just two years ago, now it's looking like total madness.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think ALL of you ought to go and reread the OP. Hard brexit, soft brexit BS. What smacks you right in the face is "to soften the blow of no deal billions will be unlocked". Billions will be unlocked????
Just where are these billions? Because we have been told these last number of years "there's no money to pay for nurses, the NHS, police, fire services plus the general populace has been screwed to the floor with "austerity". Why haven't these billions been unlocked for the british people? Just where are these billions going to come from.
And by the way you idiots have got it the wrong way round, It's better to have a bad deal than no deal at all. At least when you have a deal you can keep going back to the table to better it. If you have no deal all you've got is Jack Sh**.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I'm 52 years old and live in North East England.....ever since Thatcher was elected all I've known is economic hardship.

Amen to that brother.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's all about trade.

Do The E.U. want to trade with Britain ? The answer is yes.

Does Britain want to trade with The E.U. ? The answer is also yes.

That is what will happen. Relax.

edit on 9-10-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I simply can't wait to get out of the bureaucratic hell hole that is the EU. I have my (petty) reasons for leaving as well as seeing the big ticket items.

If we'd known what the EU would become, perhaps we would never have joined in the first place. Or perhaps we would if the pockets of the filth known as politicians were kept nicely lined.

Niaive, simplistic, wrong - whatever you want to call it, we should just cut the apron strings now and let the chips fall where they may.

ETA: We'll be financially (and in many other ways) screwed no matter what happens so maybe its time to take the hit and suture the wound sooner.

edit on 9102017 by MrCrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
If you had any doubt at all, what happening in Catalonia should put that to rest.

Catalonia: we want independence from Spain!
Spain: Send in the tanks! Lock up the separatists!
EU: Whistles loudly while pointedly looking in the opposite direction.

It's a domestic matter for Spain as a nation. The EU would no more interfere than it did during the London riots of 2011.

And let's face it, if the EU had intervened in the Catalan crackdown, anti-EU types would now be shrieking about the anti-democratic EU for interfering with Spanish territorial sovereignty and don't you see why this is an urgent reason to get out NOW "before the evil EU does the same thing to Britain!"

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Technically i would rather there is was no Brexit but "No Deal Planning" is exactly that and the only eventually it will plan for is even less cooperation which will equate to even more pain and strife for our masses in the long run.

That's not planing for an eventually, unless that eventually is failure.

We are not going to get out of this scot-free as an example has to be made to other member nations, that's just the way the cookie will crumble.

End of the day its our kids that will ultimately pay the price for our departure from the EU, and that is something that's not just unfair but unpalatable for any first world nation to even consider. Brexit won't bring about prosperity it will cause stagnation and poverty the likes of which we have not seen in years.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

We are not going to get out of this scot-free as an example has to be made to other member nations

And you want to remain a member of an organization who's members behave in such a way ?

Barnier and his cronies are trying to bully us with nasty words and threats , it's beholding on our government to stand up to that and move us forward and regain our sovereignty ,all eventualities have to be planned for.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Brexit won't bring about prosperity it will cause stagnation and poverty the likes of which we have not seen in years.

How?
Why?

Ominous words - care to explain exactly why you think that will be the outcome of Brexit?

And I see poverty on a daily basis - its never gone from some places in the UK.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

How will it happen through when both sides are posturing, bickering, and generally coming to no consensus or conclusions whatsoever?

The only thing they seem to agree on is that they don't agree with each other.

Swings and roundabouts really, but the cost to our nation will be rather hard to swallow for the average everyday citizen once they do decide to sit down and come to some sort of agreement, that's pretty much a given.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Well the terms of the referendum were not exactly correct, clear or precise from its inception.

Numerous details have emerged since the vote, including misstatements regarding NHS financial inputs and immigration policy.

Galling admissions by leave leaders such as Nigel Farage have fatally undermined the credibility of the subsequent leadership and have and will contribute to Brexit failing or becoming unimplementable, making it almost impossible for a hypothetical Leave PM to actually execute separation from the EU.

Leave advocates have tried to assuage the people's fears by implying that the separation from the EU would take place over two years. The markets cant possibly wait for two years for certainty and a two year period of uncertainty would be fatal for our economy, and quite possibly the Euro economy also.

Personally, i think the whole notion of Brexit is doomed to fail.

I see poverty also on a daily basis but that does not mean we require more foodbanks just that the distribution of wealth and power is all wrong and has to change, Brexit wont do that it will make things far worse.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Of course, and nothing wrong with that.

......the biggest reason for me voting remain was simply that I did not feel that the Brexit camp had been able to give us a ac curate picture of what a post-Breixt UK would look like.

You're right they didn't, but when you dislike something as much as I dislike the bloated, corrupt, authoritarian and undemocratic EU and believe passionately in the sovereignty of the UK elected Assemblies then the only option was to vote Out.

However if a deal is put forward that looks like it is going to cause the uk economy to absolutely tank for the next decade then no thank you.

If it means a few more years of hardship in order to set things right so that my daughter, grandson etc can reap the benefits in the future then I've got absolutely no problem with that.

But it was never the plan so why should he have said it?
We can blame and criticise Cameron for many, many things, but not that.
It was made very clear to everyone before the vote took place - a simple in or out, nothing else. There was never even the remotest suggestion that a second referendum would ever be required, and why would there be on such a straight forward issue?

If Scotland had voted for independence would a second referendum have been required?
I don't think Sturgeon would have been championing that would she?

Let's just bloody come out, bollocks to bowing down to the EU - they need our trade just as much as we need theirs.

Then lets get rid of these careerist politicians across the political divide who think they have a divine right to rule and exploit as they see fit and unite and work towards making this country something we ALL can be proud of.

Someone buy this man a pint! Totally correct, every single word

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
If you had any doubt at all, what happening in Catalonia should put that to rest.

Catalonia: we want independence from Spain!
Spain: Send in the tanks! Lock up the separatists!
EU: Whistles loudly while pointedly looking in the opposite direction.

It's a domestic matter for Spain as a nation. The EU would no more interfere than it did during the London riots of 2011.

And let's face it, if the EU had intervened in the Catalan crackdown, anti-EU types would now be shrieking about the anti-democratic EU for interfering with Spanish territorial sovereignty and don't you see why this is an urgent reason to get out NOW "before the evil EU does the same thing to Britain!"

You should check the news - France won’t recognise Catalonia as an independent nation.

Here it goes - Anti democratic EU not respecting the will of the people! The EU is evil.

That is all

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Well the terms of the referendum were not exactly correct, clear or precise from its inception.

The ballot was pretty much unambiguous;

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
Leave the European Union

www.electoralcommission.org.uk... m-question-assessment

The debate, though dominated by hypocrites and self-promoting egotists on all sides, was also pretty much clear.

I've got to say almost everyone I spoke to before, during and after clearly understood the question that was being asked.

Is there some secret piece od information that suggests otherwise and that the British electorate are complete idiots and had absolutely no understanding of the question being asked and the ramifications of the ballot?
If so please direct me to it.

Numerous details have emerged since the vote, including misstatements regarding NHS financial inputs and immigration policy.

There was absolute bollocks spouted by both sides, citing only Brexit campaigners is being blatantly biased.

Galling admissions by leave leaders such as Nigel Farage have fatally undermined the credibility of the subsequent leadership and have and will contribute to Brexit failing or becoming unimplementable, making it almost impossible for a hypothetical Leave PM to actually execute separation from the EU.

Why?
The British people have spoken.
We no longer want to be a member of the EU - if the current PM won't deliver that then one way or another we'll get one who will carry out the will of the people.

Leave advocates have tried to assuage the people's fears by implying that the separation from the EU would take place over two years. The markets cant possibly wait for two years for certainty and a two year period of uncertainty would be fatal for our economy, and quite possibly the Euro economy also.

And the Remainers have been the biggest harbingers of doom and apocalypse since The Dark Ages.

You make my point for me; stop pussyfooting around and simply give the EU notice that as from so and so a date we will no longer be part of the EU.
If the EU wishes to negotiate any sort of deal prior to that date regarding trade deals etc then so be it, if not we don't really care.

Personally, i think the whole notion of Brexit is doomed to fail.

And Santa Claus will come on Christmas Eve and give you lots of presents for being a good little boy.

I see poverty also on a daily basis but that does not mean we require more foodbanks just that the distribution of wealth and power is all wrong and has to change,.....

On this I couldn't agree more - giving more power to faceless bureaucrats in Brussels whose sole aim is the establishment of a United States of Europe where power lies with an elite few whose interests lie with the furtherment of the global agenda rather than the wishes and best interests of the British people is most definitely NOT the way to achieve this!

Brexit wont do that it will make things far worse.

How will remaining in the corrupt entity that is the EU be any better?
Do you honestly think they give one single # about the wishes and best interests of the ordinary, everyday British people?

edit on 9/10/17 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Deleted.

I'm obviously a little bit out of practice.

edit on 9/10/17 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Westminster are the bullies and the ones with the nasty words and threats, the rest of the nation pays the price for there form of Gooberment really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join