It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - ‘No deal’ planning is well under way, says Minister

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TJames
a reply to: Soloprotocol

The NHS you praise is absolutely dependent on EU workers. The social care system is equally dependent on EU workers. If you end up dribbling in your tea cup it'll likely be an EU national wiping your arse, not a Brit.
All my EU mates live in flats and houses like me, not sharing rooms. You solely mentioned Hungarians and they are a small percentage of the 3 million EU folk here...you're talking bollocks to be fair, and my point stands, EU people fill the gaps where lazy Brits won't do the work.

Isn't that pulling them out of poverty and giving them opportunity ?

Don't make it sound like we round them up and treat them like slaves !

Without those jobs they would have nothing, they should be thanking us .

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
We seem to think that after Brexit we’ll be free from all the EU bureaucrats and can just give the EU a two finger salute as we walk off into the new sunny uplands. Reality for British manufacturing and the service sector will be totally different.

Current EU negotiating position is that, following Brexit and without a trade deal, it will be illegal to sell new British goods within the single market because they won’t be certified in terms of testing & consumer regulation compliance etc.

British goods ... that new Nissan car, for example, or that Rolls Royce aero engine, even a simple toaster ... would have to be submitted for approval to various EU certification bodies. Expensive process, adds cost. A process they’ll drag out no doubt. Whether those costs will be offset by a the fall in the value of the pound is another thing altogether.

The EU has been great for consumers. It’s driven up product quality. It’s made the things we buy safer and more reliable because just about everything we buy has been tested and meets regulation. The EU aren’t going to give up all that just because we’ve left. British manufacturers will still need to satisfy EU reg to sell our products over by.

We seem to dream that leaving the EU will instantly open up new markets for our goods elsewhere. Well, those markets exist today and have been there since we joined the Common Market decades ago. If British manufacturers and entrepreneurs have been so feckless as to ignore those markets for so long, what hope have we got now ?

Some folk I converse with talk in romantic terms of British salesmen soon boarding Union Castle steamers, dragging their suitcase full of samples as they head off to their new quarters at the Old Raiding Club in some colonial outpost in deepest darkest. That’s there’s hidden untapped markets desperate to buy British. It’s such a load of baloney. Utter flummery.

My gut feeling is that no trade deal is going to be the undoing of this country. Higher unemployment, higher prices, higher interest rates, higher inflation ... every economic disadvantage with not one tangible thing in return.

But I can’t see Scotland falling for it. There’s no benefit for us being in this ridiculous post Brexit United Kingdom. SNP support may have fallen recently. But as Brexit approaches and the new reality sinks in, I can see the mood north of the border changing to the advantage of the nationalists.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
We seem to think that after Brexit we’ll be free from all the EU bureaucrats and can just give the EU a two finger salute as we walk off into the new sunny uplands..

Eh, I dont. But not to worry. Some in here believe we will survive by trading with such trade heavyweights as Australia were we'll swap potatoes and Cornish pasties for Crocodile skin shoes and Koala bears balls.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Solo, Never thought I'd see the day.....but that was a fantastic post and I really couldn't have put it any better!

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

The bollocks you're talking is making out that EU nationals are mostly living 10 to a house to enable them to survive on minimum wage.
All my EU friends have regular flats or houses like me. You just hate to admit that 3 million EU nationals fill the gap created by lazy bastard Brits who are work shy.

You said yourself you wouldn't do a # job so fair enough be proud claiming JSA. I'd rather keep my hard working EU mates and kick out the lazy Brits.

...oh and my Czech bird works for an agency not NHS, 50 hour weeks, nice privately rented home, car, Sky package, iPhone, even enough left to party on weekends, and in the south of England with our expensive housing compared to yours in Scotland.

EU nationals prove that there are lazy Brits who just whine and want everything offered on a plate, and you Scots are the worst for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Solo, Never thought I'd see the day.....but that was a fantastic post and I really couldn't have put it any better!

Which one, The one about the Crocodile shoes and Koala bollocks..? Some of my best work right there man..

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

originally posted by: TJames

The NHS you praise is absolutely dependent on EU workers. The social care system is equally dependent on EU workers. If you end up dribbling in your tea cup it'll likely be an EU national wiping your arse, not a Brit.
All my EU mates live in flats and houses like me, not sharing rooms. You solely mentioned Hungarians and they are a small percentage of the 3 million EU folk here...you're talking bollocks to be fair, and my point stands, EU people fill the gaps where lazy Brits won't do the work.

Isn't that pulling them out of poverty and giving them opportunity ?

Don't make it sound like we round them up and treat them like slaves !

Without those jobs they would have nothing, they should be thanking us .

Did you even read my post first?
My point is that without EU nationals the UK would struggle to find workers due to the amount of lazy bastard Brits. Who said anything about slaves? My EU mates work hard and have decent lives here because Brits are too lazy to do the work.
3 million people here support everything I have asserted.
...but no, let's whine that there's no work or we can't afford to live, bollocks.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
How's that happen on minimum wage ? a reply to: TJames

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
How's that happen on minimum wage ? a reply to: TJames

Easy, just do the hours that EU nationals do. Lazy Brits can't cope lol

ETA
My EU mates put lazy Brits to shame and have decent lives...had a relaxing Sunday with my Czech bird in the woods today chuckling about lazy bastard Brits whining they can't afford to live...just stupid spending choices is all.
edit on 15-10-2017 by TJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TJames

Tell that to the nurses and other single-parent low-income families that cannot afford to survive on their poultry salary and are forced to use food banks to feed their children.

edit on 15-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Which ones are them? Mate of mine is a new qualified nurse earning 20 something grand a year, his kids ain't starving.
ATS is full of drama queens whining they can't live when EU nationals manage easy enough lol

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The more I think of it I'm more impressed with my Czech bird having a fun life with me while Scottish people whine they can't afford to live lmao

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

These ones mate, possibly worth considering those "drama queens" as you so crassly put it save lives.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

www.mirror.co.uk...

edit on 15-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Easy, just do the hours that EU nationals do. Lazy Brits can't cope lol

No person should HAVE to work more than 40 hours a week to earn a liveable wage.

And that's absolute bollocks.
For years I worked far more than 40 hours a week in a factory whilst also running my own security firm.
I'm certainly not unique in that, many friends and associates have done the same.

Many Brits can't work too many hours as their spouses also work - they need two incomes to survive and someone has to look after the kids.

My EU mates put lazy Brits to shame and have decent lives...

Some are ok, some aren't - pretty much the same as everyone.
I do know that when they are out drinking they are a complete pain in the arse - many pubs round here refuse to serve Czechs, Poles, Romanians etc.

had a relaxing Sunday with my Czech bird in the woods today chuckling about lazy bastard Brits whining they can't afford to live...just stupid spending choices is all.

I imagine she finds it hilarious.

Which ones are them? Mate of mine is a new qualified nurse earning 20 something grand a year, his kids ain't starving.

Do you honestly think £20grand a year is a good wage for a qualified nurse?

What part of the UK do you live in?

ATS is full of drama queens whining they can't live when EU nationals manage easy enough lol

It also has its fair share of knobheads.

The more I think of it I'm more impressed with my Czech bird having a fun life with me.....

I'm sure she's mightily impressed.....

......while Scottish people whine they can't afford to live lmao

Give me a Scot anyday over the majority of Southern English who are obsessed with themselves and the accumulation of wealth and personal gain.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I agree we have some lazy bums in England but you get that in every country, it's not exclusive to us.

The reason why many Brits don't take those mundane jobs it's not because we're all lazy, it's because we don't want to be exploited. I understand why Eastern Europeans take these jobs as they pay like 5 times mores than where they are from, so it's a no brainer for them.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast
You state the UK won't be able to trade with the EU because of all those 'testing & consumer regulation compliance etc' (which is a load of bollocks by the way).

Yet you then talk about Scotland leaving the UK.
Surely the same argument can be said about Scotland trading it's goods into the UK post Scottish Independence? Considering around 63% of it's exports goes to the rest of the UK and only around 16% goes to the EU.
www.gov.scot...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Just to put my slant on the current discussion...

1. The NHS employs people from around the world, not just the EU.
2. Any new immigration policy will continue to target "skills shortage" professions. You may not know it, but there is already a "Shortage Occupation List" and this includes a massive number of professions ... Shortage List
3. The UK has to start to "train their own" and this goes all the way back into education.
4. UK unemployment is low. While there are people who won't work, most people do when they can. Brexit may cut the numbers of low skilled, which may improve wages and prospects for the UK low skilled. It'll be interesting to see the positive impact on low wages and the "so called" gig economy. Selfishly, this may mean your home-delivered pizza or Amazon parcel may no longer be free and this may be what worries some people.
5. Cheap foreign labour has depressed wage growth and made employers lazy. Employers need to sort out poor productivity.
6. If you are a nurse from Portugal working in the UK you are dong so because the UK is better than Portugal. There is no evidence everyone will leave the UK, nor that the UK won't continue to attract Portuguese nurses.
7. Perhaps the large number of Romanian beggars in London will reduce. Controversial view, but it's got to be said.
8. Er, that's all.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Unwise spending decisions is all. As I said, I live in expensive southern England and my newly qualified nurse mate feeds and houses his kids fine. Can't afford a brand new car but wouldn't even know where the nearest food Bank is.

Read one of your links "spiralling debt" = stupid borrowing to buy shiny consumer goods.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I refer you back to my neighbours from Poland, nice rented house, small child, nice car, saving for a deposit to buy first home.
He packs frozen pies, she wipes old people's arses...nothing stopping any Brit here in Southern England having a similar nice life but go on carry on whining that Britain is so awful.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join