It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your most profound/prophetic statement as a child?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

Wow!

Sometimes the smallest eyes see the biggest picture.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
"I don't want to grow up."

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I have one from college which I used in explaining to friends why I could not go out drinking one night:

I can't slow down to enjoy life until I can fun fast enough to keep up with it.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
When i was a child on...
We roamed the neighborhood ( back then the "neighborhood" extended for miles as the homes of my friends were mostly vastly separated by a good distance) even a night. On old dark country roads , or in dark woods sometimes. I dont recall anything untoward ever happening , either.

Strangers ? What the hades was that ? No one ever met a "stranger" . Just friends unless the other person proved them wrong. Everyone even set an extra place at the table for ANYONE (even so-called strangers) to partake. And you didnt leave unless you ate something.Bad manners to do so.

Most folks kept their front doors open. Even at night. My grandmother would even leave her home for weeks. Left home cooked meals in the fridge and cakes and pastries for anyone to get . And the front door unlocked .
"If someone needed what she had , they could take it as those things in life were material and could be replaced. " Direct quote from my grandmother as best as I can remember .
Folks ate the food , yet never took anything of value...

See the difference ? I could go on for hours. I dont have the time and I believe that would require an entire thread as to the reason for the change over time

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Same here!

Of course my wife will tell you I failed at growing up so I have that going for me...which is nice...

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well said!

Philosophical and quotable.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That is beautiful.

I think part of it is definitely the passage of time but I think it is always a little country vs. city.

I grew up in Chicago. Even back then we had to lock our doors and strangers were strangers until Mom or Dad said otherwise. When I was 14 we moved to a much more relaxed suburban neighborhood and it was more like what you described. We still locked our doors, but people for the most part were just more friendly and open. We had farms on two sides of us and a brand new neighborhood being built on the other two. One of the farmers would plow our driveway, which was about a quarter mile long, in the winter when it snowed. No one asked him to, he just did it. And never asked for anything in return.

Kids could stay out fairly late and crime was a thing that happened somewhere else. it was great.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
yeah mine was! Fox loves Hare! and all the forest animals are happy. most profound

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"Santa's drunk and needs a diaper."

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
During my sophomore year in high school I worked for a small grocery store. A girl that was a couple of grades younger than me came through my check out line looking to purchase a package of Lemonheads. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about her except that I thought I knew her name. After giving her back whatever change was due, I asked her "you're Jody right?" She gave me a very puzzled look and reluctantly replied "yes".

THIS IS THE WEIRD PART(and it still freaks me out to this day)..... While she was walking out of the front door, this thought flashed through my head "I'm going to marry her someday" just a very quick, random thought.

So moving forward, we ran with different crowds in high school, and other than a couple random run in's, we never really said anything other than "hi" to each other. I graduated in '98 and left town for college and never looked back. Fast forward to 2004, on a random weekend in June I was back in my hometown and VERY coincidentally so was she. Her parents no longer lived there and there was no real reason for her to be in town that particular weekend. In fact, if I hadn't been driving through the same intersection at the same time as her.....

Now it's 2017 and on October 1st we celebrated our 12th anniversary.

That was just one of the many times I've had stuff like that happen in my life. It's happened to me enough times that when I do get a strange feeling or significant random thought, I've learned not to ignore them. The best way to describe it, is something similar to Spiderman's "Spidey sense".

I've never thought of them as some divine presence guiding me through life, or some supernatural gift, or fate. The best that I can come up with is that I'm may be more in tune with my instincts, or that it's the deep rooted "lizard brain".

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

Crazy I was thinking about this same event, when I was 4 years old I had a nightmare about seeing a rocket explode the night before the explorer launch. My parents said it was just a dream and it wouldn't happen, the next day it did.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Watched a loooot of TNG with my older brother and dad when I was little, but even my computer whiz brother chuckled at me & dismissed it when I pointed at the data PADDs and said "They'll make computers look like those when we're grown-ups."

At the risk of sounding Vulcan (or a total Trekkie nerd) all I can say is to 6 y/o me, it just seemed like a logical progression.
And I wasn't wrong, either

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I'm glad it was the padds and not the man-skirts that came into style

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TimHeller

Gotta love the small furry woodland creatures.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Christmas at your house must have been a lot of fun.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: RainyState

Sometimes you just 'know'. Happy Anniversary!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well done! I hope the Holo-deck is next.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
When I first found out what cancer was I was eight or so. I just asked why don't the doctors just cut out the bad parts. I knew about removing bad tonsils from my little sister but i didnt know anything about cancer cures at eight. I was too busy trying to make a Barbie wedding dress out of my communion handkerchief.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

One major project at a time...

How did the dress turn out?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Oh god rubber bands to form the waist, a tissue for a veil that was held in place with those pearl topped pins that used to come on men's dress shirts when you first opened them if you're familiar. I formed a headband out of them by inserting them into barbies plastic head. I even inserted one into each ear for pearl earring studs to match the headband. Yeah I was pulling the look together even then. Probably why I became a decorator. Lol . Luckily Barbie already had white high heels I think the only other white shoes she had were tennis shoes or rollerskates. . And I made a bouquet from those tiny flowers on the Jordan almond packs they give away at weddings. ( big Italian family, lots of cousins, lots of weddings. We had those things in drawers all over the house it seemed. ) . The handkerchief was pretty fancy if I recall lots of white lace. I remember pulling it out of my little white purse several times so people outside the church would see it. It was so grown up. I'm pretty sure I got a Barbie bridal gown eventually. Thanks for asking.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join