It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager 'thrown out of school' for sitting during Pledge of Allegiance

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Sucks to live in this society these days, I tell you what.

I didn't stand OR take off my hat for the last two years of high school morning national anthem. I always thought the whole thing was kind of absurd.

I don't stand under any god.

If they had suspended me for something so stupid, it's entirely possible I wouldn't have had the chance to earn my college degree, and quite possible I never would have gotten into the career I wanted to get into.
Life changer, right there.

Maybe it's for the best if students start losing faith in the educational system.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Just say the damn pledge you little entitled brat! If it was good 'nuff for Jesus, it's good 'nuff for you too! 'Merica!

Man, I'm liking you more everday....

...we're no fools and clearly see past this little social experiment of yours you've been exhibiting these last couple days. Clever girl.
edit on 9-10-2017 by Arnie123 because: heh

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I knew people who went here.
One thing I think will help understand this situation is the background of this school.
This is not your typical high school. This is the school you have to go to when you're thrown out of school.
Most students that attend here have been removed from a standard high school due to behavior issues and/or drug use at school.

Its normally filled with all the "bad kids" they can't keep around others. So what we are not getting is the back story. While I don't think the student should have been kicked out of the school altogether, chances are they were already causing a lot of problems to be there in the first place.

So what we are getting is the politicized story. I bet they were kicked for a lot more than just sitting during the pledge. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ProjectedLogic

Then kick them out for reasons that do not make your school administration look like a bunch of fascist ingrates.

I know what its like to share school space with people who should have been institutionalised for goodness sake, dyed in the wool sociopaths. They were not kicked out despite clear evidence of drug abuse, knife possession on school grounds, violence, racism, threats of violence, the operation of criminal enterprise on school grounds...

But if my school had tried throwing such punks out on false pretexts, I would have been first to put a boot across the neck of our principle, and explain "You cannot justly eject these people, based on some ridiculous notion of refusal to engage in the sort of blind patriotism you covet. You may eject them for being criminally insane vermin, not fit to interact with other people, who need institutionalising for their safety and that of others, but you may not do it because the flag, a pledge, or an anthem demand it."

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

As someone who identifies as a conservative voter (really more libertarian), I find that hilarious

Thanks alien, I needed that!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
a reply to: Liquesence

in most schools you would be right but this school belongs to an independent school district and doesn't have any connection to the state or any governmental organization, unfortunately the constitution has no authority at such schools as far as i can tell.

You really should not be making affirmative statements like this if you're not a lawyer. If you were, you would be aware of Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, a US Supreme Court case that definitively ruled that independent school districts are most certainly subject to the constraints of the First Amendment. That case involved protests against the war in Vietnam. When applied to the pledge case, it cerainly makes sense since the Texas School District gets $523 million from local taxes, which are set and collected under state law and $358 million directly from the state and another $8 million from the federal government.Students are compelled, by state law, to attend. Parents can be punished, under state law, if their children are truant. If it walks like a government, talks like a government, and taxes like a government, it is a government. And the Bill of Rights is applicable to all government units by virtue of the 14th Amendment. See, Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Co. v. City of Chicago and its progeny.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Freedom of expression isn't freedom from consequence.

It is, if it is a governmental entity trying to impose the consequence.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
It was very wrong for the school administration to even do anything. She has every right not to stand. I am sure they would have no problem with Jehovah's Witness students, or at least I hope so?

That was my first thought. Religious reason, covered by the 1st. One could argue that this isn't a religious reason though. But once you get into motivation you're just asking for a legal battle.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

in most schools you would be right but this school belongs to an independent school district and doesn't have any connection to the state or any governmental organization

That doesn't remove people's civil rights. It mean it levees it's own taxes and controls the administration. It's not a private school.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is a branch of the state government of Texas in the United States responsible for public education. The agency is headquartered in the William B. Travis State Office Building in Downtown Austin.

Although school districts are independent governmental entities, TEA has the authority to oversee a district's operations (either involving an individual school or the entire district) if serious issues arise (such as poor standardized test performance, financial distress, or reported mismanagement). This can be in the form of requiring the district to submit corrective action plans and regular status reports, assigning monitors to oversee operations (including the authority to assign a management board, which essentially replaces and performs the duties of the elected school board), and in extreme cases closure of a school campus or even the entire school district.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When I was a kid, before I could really understand all of the words of the Pledge of Allegiance, I used to wonder about the witch and the invisible nation.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I am not disagreeing, they shouldn't have been kicked out for this. These schools are there to help those having difficulties, not make matter worse over something so asinine.

I just wanted to give a little background of the school itself in hopes to give people a better understand of the situation.

a reply to: Junkheap

This... LOL
Although since we are on a conspiracy website, one could argue there is an invisible nation ran by an invisible government, of whom all are witches and satanist and possible lizard people.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"With liberty (oops), and justice (still workin' on that) for all (yeah...not yet).

If I hadn't, in my life, seen the improvements, this little episode would make me wonder--it does anyway, but not as much as I might.

a reply to: F4guy

You've a point there. Though it's a point that should, in a perfect world (I know, it's not one...), go without saying.
edit on 10/9/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Ahhh, the good ol' NFL giving credibility to knee-jerk reactions everywhere.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Man what are these schools coming to? Pledging allegiance is voluntary. It's a promise. You don't have to promise to anything if you don't want to. Anything short of that and you get burned at the stake now?? This isn't North Korea where you're forced do things and if you don't, you do get burned at the stake or sit in front of a firing squad. They don't want God in politics, but they want you to pledge and pray to God and use money that says, "In God we Trust" on it. The US is all upside down and ass backwards. A lot of things we do doesn't make any damn sense. A lot of these ideals goes all the way back into history with King George III and the rest of them tyrants that we had to escape from.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So, the school says that wouldn't happen, and she has no evidence, but we should just take her word that she was suspended for that? I flat don't believe her. No video? No statement from the school, confirming any of this?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProjectedLogic
I knew people who went here.
One thing I think will help understand this situation is the background of this school.
This is not your typical high school. This is the school you have to go to when you're thrown out of school.
Most students that attend here have been removed from a standard high school due to behavior issues and/or drug use at school.

Its normally filled with all the "bad kids" they can't keep around others. So what we are not getting is the back story. While I don't think the student should have been kicked out of the school altogether, chances are they were already causing a lot of problems to be there in the first place.

So what we are getting is the politicized story. I bet they were kicked for a lot more than just sitting during the pledge. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

Just what I suspected Well,, not the school being an alternative one for problem students, but that the student was herself a problem, and was removed - if at all - for other issues, not related to the pledge. As in, disruptive, refusing to be silent, etc, and claims this just to get attention. The whole thing sounds staged, and like BS to me!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think back when I was in school,and the individuals who lacked respect during allegiance,they did it when ever they got a chance,most ended up dropping out of school or kicked out,and were loser's ever since,a case of irony?,I think not liberals tend to do what they want,end result,they put in no effort and now are recipiant of their ignorance,they had children,and spawned a new breed of fools,these are tantrums,just like apes throw

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
One should be suspicious of these scenarios, but if it's genuine then it's good the school decided to get strict. If those cretins can't respect the country they live and breathe on then they should pay, and hopefully leave.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Well actually the Bible talks about how it's not appropriate to pledge yourself to anyone or anything other than God. When you do this, you're pledging allegiance to the flag and nation. Though it's under god, it's still an allegiance to the nation, which isn't everyone's religious preference. If this girl had done it for religious reasons it would have been regarded as a hate crime. Even though it's not, it shouldn't be treated differently. And that's coming from me, a US Marine. It's freedom or speech and right to protest.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join