It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager 'thrown out of school' for sitting during Pledge of Allegiance

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Liquesence

There are rituals for many things, and it is a form of protest, if it's willful.

And if nobody cares or knows why then it is really a protest? Which goes all the way back to the original point.

If you yourself care, then yes, otherwise why do it?

Have you never personally protested something but no one knows? Even out of personal principle?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: Abysha

We're talking about the JWs not performing a social ritual. That isn't a form of protest. If they were in other countries like North Korea that definitely would be a form of protest. This student have always sat and nobody cared and probably never knew why so how can it be a protest?

Technically, it is a protest.

They are willfully refusing to do something, in this case a social ritual. In this case, it's their religion.

It's still an act of protest.

In that case we constantly protest everything 24 hours a day.

Some of us, yes.

No. According to you, ALL of us.

Going 1 mph over speed limit? Heck with them!

What are you talking about?

DeafAlien is saying that there's a social ritual for just about everything. Laws, customs, etc. Nobody observes all of these "rituals". You are saying that breaking the mold of those rituals is considered "protesting".

There are rituals for many things, and it is a form of protest, if it's willful.

But what if it's not? In my case, in high school (much like the girl in the OP with her sitting for a long time before the whole BLM/NFL thing), I sat for the pledge and for the anthem. It wasn't "willful" nor a "protest" in my mind. In my mind, I was minding my own business and just waiting. I never felt the compulsion to participate in the first place nor the rebellion to not participate. It was just me, being me, while others were being others.

How was I protesting?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Then that wouldn't be protesting, from what I've been saying; plus, you specifically said it wasn't willful.

:/

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

And if nobody cares or knows why then it is really a protest? Which goes all the way back to the original point.

Have you never personally protested something but no one knows? Even out of personal principle?

Protest
a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.

If you haven't made a statement then nobody knows so it isn't really a protest. You would only be protesting to yourself. If you don't want to do something privately out of principle then refusal would be a better word.
Semantics are fun isn't it?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Welcome to a sneak peek of the future. One day these kids will be running the world and teaching their own kids etiquette doesn't matter along with manners and morals. Awesome! I can't wait to not be here to see it.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Protest

If you haven't made a statement then nobody knows so it isn't really a protest. You would only be protesting to yourself. If you don't want to do something privately out of principle then refusal would be a better word.
Semantics are fun isn't it?

Protest

Where does the definition you provided say it must be a public statement or action to be a protest?

Actually, definitions are fun.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: PillarOfFire

People often confuse wishing to not follow one ritual (or tradition) as not following any of societies rituals. I would bet almost every person has one ritual they do not believe in.
edit on 10/8/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I suppose you could write the statement in your private diary.

Maybe if one were to be nosy and read it then it would be a protest?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

No doubt there's always that given. But, I don't think dragging politics into the classroom is a smart idea. I mean the education system has turned into an afternoon club house meeting ground rather than an institution where kids learn mathematics, how to spell and write (I don't think writing is even taught in schools anymore) crazy. No etiquette what so ever.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I suppose to some people it looks like a protest. Weird how perspectives work.
I've known the quiet types during high school. We just basically left them alone.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I suppose you could write the statement in your private diary.

I do. I also have a room I write my diary entries on the walls.

And I refuse to buy basic personal health products as a form of personal protest on hygiene.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

And I refuse to buy basic personal health products as a form of personal protest on hygiene.

I hold my nose in protest!

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PillarOfFire

But given some talk of schools not caring much in the past, who is making it in a simi political point. I would say the school.

I will agree that in general education doesn't seem to be what it used to be.
edit on 10/8/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

Welcome to a sneak peek of the future. One day these kids will be running the world and teaching their own kids etiquette doesn't matter along with manners and morals. Awesome! I can't wait to not be here to see it.

Gods, I hope these kids will be running the world.

Term limits, yo.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

Gods, I hope these kids will be running the world.

Term limits, yo.

The brat kid is running our country and the world.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Term limits is the only good thing about them being in a position of near godlike power.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I've been secretly protesting sex ever since I joined this site.

At least that's what I tell myself.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For those who believe that the practice of one's politics should not be part of the educational process. Do you accept that same person's practice of religion as part of that process?

I believe that both of those practices are supported equally by the 1st Amendment.

-dex

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

I've been secretly protesting sex ever since I joined this site.

At least that's what I tell myself.

I've heard some say God is most happy when one pleases—er, protests—oneself.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Lol standing for the pledge of allegiance in high school, oh how fun not doing that was!!

Honestly lame a** indoctrination tactics like that are some of the seeds that resulted in my understanding that the authority of this world is the problem.

May as well come up with some speeches about the homeland and start invading countries....

Why couldn't you just stand up and recite some parody lyrics like the rest of us?

"I led the pigeons to the flag... ...with liver tea and juices for all"

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join