It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager 'thrown out of school' for sitting during Pledge of Allegiance

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
As the child of a Jehovah's Witness, I never stood for the Pledge of Allegiance. In fact, I did not participate in any activity that was religiously or politically oriented.

Once I got to High School, we only said the Pledge 4 times a year. That's when we met for homeroom. Two times per semester. But we did have a minute of silence every morning.

It felt kind of strange. And I really couldn't explain it too well to my classmates. That's probably why I came up with my own pledge. The US Pledge of Allegiance was printed on the back of our Smokey-the-Bear book covers. So I would mark through a few words and add my own. Apparently I did this for so long, I remember it to this day, 40 years later. I present to you, for your consideration, the "Pledge to the Bugger"

The Pledge to the Bugger
I pledge allegiance
to the Bugger,
of the center of the nose.
And to the Snot,
for which it runs.
One nation,
under eyes,
divisible;
With Colds and Flu for all.

I came up with that in 2nd or 3rd grade. That's why it sounds like something from South Park.

I suppose it was easier to tell my classmates that I said the Pledge to the Bugger. And you didn't have to stand to do that.

-dex

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I am just giving a statue or code. Someone should get it clarified by a court. Maybe the only action can be expulsion. I don't know how it is enforced.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

We're talking about the JWs not performing a social ritual. That isn't a form of protest. If they were in other countries like North Korea that definitely would be a form of protest. This student have always sat and nobody cared and probably never knew why so how can it be a protest?

Technically, it is a protest.

They are willfully refusing to do something, in this case a social ritual. In this case, it's their religion.

It's still an act of protest.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I am just giving a statue or code. Someone should get it clarified by a court. Maybe the only action can be expulsion. I don't know how it is enforced.

And I gave a Supreme Court decision.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

We're talking about the JWs not performing a social ritual. That isn't a form of protest. If they were in other countries like North Korea that definitely would be a form of protest. This student have always sat and nobody cared and probably never knew why so how can it be a protest?

They are willfully refusing to do something, in this case a social ritual. In this case, it's their religion.

In that case we constantly protest everything 24 hours a day.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

No. According to you, ALL of us.

Going 1 mph over speed limit? Heck with them!

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

What are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
When I was in school long ago we recited the pledge, teacher read a short passage from the bible, took attendance and read any announcements.

The teacher still paddled you if you misbehaved.

Times sure have changed it seems for the worst.

What were the 40s like?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

Protesting.

link   
Therefore this girl should win in her action against the school. School will be hell but she should be able to return.

Authorities often push "must" and "illegal" and put it on the challenger to prove them wrong.

link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
When I was in school long ago we recited the pledge, teacher read a short passage from the bible, took attendance and read any announcements.

The teacher still paddled you if you misbehaved.

Times sure have changed it seems for the worst.

What were the 40s like?

1840s?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Rules are rules, if you can't follow them then stfu.. This kid will leave school get a job and become every Employers nightmare.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Rules are rules, if you can't follow them then stfu.. This kid will leave school get a job and become every Employers nightmare.

But in this case it's a rule that can't be enforced.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

DeafAlien is saying that there's a social ritual for just about everything. Laws, customs, etc. Nobody observes all of these "rituals". You are saying that breaking the mold of those rituals is considered "protesting".

If I'm wrong on this, Deaf, let me know; I didn't mean to speak for you.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Some of us, yes.

Protesting.

So am I.

Not sure what

According to you, ALL of us.

Means. Except we're all protesting

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Some of us, yes.

DeafAlien is saying that there's a social ritual for just about everything. Laws, customs, etc. Nobody observes all of these "rituals". You are saying that breaking the mold of those rituals is considered "protesting".

If I'm wrong on this, Deaf, let me know; I didn't mean to speak for you.

You're accurate. And thank you.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Some of us, yes.

There are rituals for many things, and it is a form of protest, if it's willful.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

There are rituals for many things, and it is a form of protest, if it's willful.

And if nobody cares or knows why then it is really a protest? Which goes all the way back to the original point.

Actually Abysha's point if I understood it correctly.
edit on 10/8/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Yessss.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join