It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager 'thrown out of school' for sitting during Pledge of Allegiance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
Its called nipping it in the bud.

School is for learning.

And forcing children to pledge their allegiance to some god and a nation they are still learning about?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

How could you possibly see two sides to this?! I went to high school in a very very conservative town. I never once stood for the pledge and teachers (with Skoal imprints on their back pockets, no less) would just smile back if I smiled to them, not once telling me that I have to stand.

The faculty responsible for suspending her are the only people in this story bringing politics into the school. This isn't North Korea.

There are always 2 sides. I have already said that if she did indeed have the right to sit, the school is in the wrong. But it doesn't absolve the teen from also being a SJW (whatever that implies or entails).

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I was in (public) high school in the 80s under Reagan/Bush. Me and another friend did the morning announcements every single day. After the disaster of Reagan (Iran/Contra, crushing liberty & justice for all, rich-richer poor-poorer, free passes to corporatocracy and the age of yuppie excess, etc) and then coming to find out that the 'god' line was inserted in the 50s (and I didn't believe for a second that we are 'under' any god nor that it was constitutional to require children to state that), we stated over the morning announcements to the kids of that school had every right to not stand and state the pledge if they didn't believe it was true.

The school tried to suspend us. They failed.
We were right. The constitution stands with us.

ps - Texas state law is wrong

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

How could you possibly see two sides to this?! I went to high school in a very very conservative town. I never once stood for the pledge and teachers (with Skoal imprints on their back pockets, no less) would just smile back if I smiled to them, not once telling me that I have to stand.

The faculty responsible for suspending her are the only people in this story bringing politics into the school. This isn't North Korea.

There are always 2 sides. I have already said that if she did indeed have the right to sit, the school is in the wrong. But it doesn't absolve the teen from also being a SJW (whatever that implies or entails).

She has the right to sit because she's an American! If a school forces that, there is still no two sides about it; they are in the wrong for requiring it. What kind of Americans are these people?!

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

if she did indeed have the right to sit

Why wouldn't she?

It's a public school. SCOTUS ruled similarly, as I noted earlier.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Huh...

Sounds like my fourth grade teacher, in 1973. Mrs. Anderson. Wonderful, old lady. She was three years from retirement, started teaching before the second world war...she'd seen it all, done even more, in the world of education.

To my dying day, she'll remain the best teacher I ever had. She taught us to think, not to parrot. When she passed, some twenty years later, almost thirty, former students came from all over the state and country...I drove 3 hours for the service. It was amazing...the range of ages from not all that much younger than she was, to twenty somethings like myself at the time.

She was the teacher that introduced me to the works of Twain, James Fenimore Cooper, and Washington Irving. Henry David Thereau's also featured prominently.

They broke the mold when they made her.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Maybe wrong is the incorrect word. She is well within her rights and you know I am all about freedoms first.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Based on Texas education code

Looks like standing is required. With a note, reciting is not mandatory.

Read it again.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

You make a good point, especially as it pertains to rights.

First, people complain about these "people drawing attention to themselves" by what they're doing. And they are, but:

I'm sure similar things have happened and people went with it, and didn't make a fuss: they did not make a fuss as they were denied their Constitutional rights, and because they didn't stand up, they just went with it.

That's why these people who do these things, regardless of their politics, protect our right to be able to do it without government repercussion.

That's the point.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Pretty sure the US Constitution and SCOTUS rulings overrule Texas Education "Code."

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Maybe wrong is the incorrect word. She is well within her rights and you know I am all about freedoms first.

If she is within her rights not to stand and she hasn't stood for a while, do you think the school was within their "rights" to suspend her?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You mean Kim Jong-un? Because his citizens are taught from an early age to bow or salute him, just like kids are taught from a young age to salute the American flag in America.

Same same. The flag seems to be your dictator.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: roadgravel

Pretty sure the US Constitution and SCOTUS rulings overrule Texas Education "Code."

Could be, I don't know if anyone in the state has challenged. Just posted what the state say.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: roadgravel

Read it again.

That's not what the lawmakers said?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Of course not, the school should be punished.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Gothmog

You mean Kim Jong-un? Because his citizens are taught from an early age to bow or salute him, just like kids are taught from a young age to salute the American flag in America.

Same same. The flag seems to be your dictator.

I think Jehovah's Witnesses are spot on with their commitment to their god.

American conservatives hate paying taxes yet "render unto Caesar" and worship a flag yet "false idols are bad m'kay"... yet so many of them are Christians and put that flag above their gods. As a witch looking in from the outside, even I feel a pang of heart break from their gods over the way they believe Americans "should" be.

You're right... it's all very Kim Jong-un-esque.
edit on 8-10-2017 by Abysha because: punctiationilitronizationship

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

So... what is the other side to this? Do you still think there are two sides?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Forced patriotism is the best patriotism, don't you think?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Regnor

Forced patriotism is the best patriotism, don't you think

It's the only authentic kind.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

So... what is the other side to this? Do you still think there are two sides?

Of course there are still 2 sides. I'm not trying to insinuate that they are both equally wrong. In fact, the teen is not wrong at all, even though i disagree with what she did. My point is politics does not belong in the classroom.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join