It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current political climate breeds division

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

LOL... thank you Alien. I think I need to invest in some Rogaine

Cheers

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
All we have in the way of political discourse - all public discourse in fact is rhethoric.

rhet·o·ric
ˈredərik/Submit
noun
the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques.

synonyms: oratory, eloquence, command of language, way with words
"a form of rhetoric"

language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

"all we have from the opposition is empty rhetoric"
synonyms: bombast, turgidity, grandiloquence, magniloquence, pomposity, extravagant language, purple prose; More

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I'm not a politician, though I wouldn't mind being one some day.

Why shouldn't they be paid more money? Because they're already wealthy from a previous job? You are aware being a member of Congress is about a 90 hour/week job right? In that context they're already only being paid the median wage (or less in some areas), they're just working a lot for their money.

There's also the issue that since money equals speech, if the people pay them more, they'll get more legislation tailored to them. When corporations pay more, they get legislation for the corporations.

The problem with letting the people vote on legislation (direct democracy essentially), is that the people aren't qualified to vote. The average level of knowledge on any given subject is low, and the average person doesn't have the time or desire to look deep into the subjects they're voting on, nor should there be an expectation that they do so. Citizens should not have to be experts on foreign policy in order to make an informed vote on foreign policy. That's why we elect people to vote for us... but those people aren't experts either, they do however have ready access to experts to educate them, and it's a big portion of the hours they spend at work.

<< 1   >>

join