It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meaning of Denying Ignorance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
We hear Deny Ignorance alot on this dicussion forum.

After all, its the slogan of our website. It's used in many peoples avatars, quoted in their signatures, and constantly used in countless posts. So, heres a question, what does it really even mean? I mean, sure people can use it as much as they want, but without a real meaning, is it really useful?

Deny Ignorance is not about someone believing something contray to what you believe. Nor is it having an opinion contray to somebody else. Someone can firmly stick to they're own beliefs, and still not be denying Ignorance. Deny Ignorance, overall, is simply being aware of other opinions, beliefs, and views. To Deny Ignorance is to be able to view things in different perspectives contray to your own. To see through someone elses eyes, to see different aspects and possibilities. That is the true essence of what Denying Ignorance really is.

So heres a challenge to all those members of Above Top Secret. Can you walk the walk and talk the talk? Can you really, truly deny ignorance? Can you dare to think out of that perverbial box? Get out of that giant hairball? In the end, can you put yourself out there to think differently of things you believe, see new perspectives, and risk coming out there to support or give new ideas? In the endif you really deny ignorance, then you've won. And thats what this whole website is about. Thinking outside the box, going on a limb to find out new things and reevaluate the old things. If you can do this, truly do this, then you really did, deny ignorance.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Implausible Deniability

Strange, I thought "Deny Ignorance" meant to deliberately remain unaware of its existence.

It's the only theory that satisfactorily explains why people post things to this forum they know are absolute lies.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure he was after discussion of it rather than the definition.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
BUMP.

Discuss this people. It's important.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Good post Wolf. Thanks.

and
for Delta for bumping it.

SO says we deny ignorance by seeking information - from lots of different sources. I agree. ...IMO - eventually, when we have enough information, we start to se patterns - I call this a framework - and it makes it easier to pick up on new info. Kind of like an individualized organized filing system.

....how we organize our info, and what we do with it is another story, and it's what makes us unique...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I always took it as denying willful ignorance. It takes true grit to look at the world the way it is, not the way you want it to be.

It's actively informing yourself about what you need to know, not what you want to know.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EsotericaIt's actively informing yourself about what you need to know, not what you want to know.

Well put.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

It's actively informing yourself about what you need to know, not what you want to know.

Hmm. But how do we know what we need to know when we don't know it?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy

So then - what next? How DO we find out what we need to know when we don't know it? Seriously. Any ideas, advice?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I see it as...

Re-learning what "thought" you knew...learning that your truth, may not be the only truth, or even the right one.

(Not referring to religion here, but all things)

new topics

top topics

join