It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Cancer is considered fatal too, but it is completely possible for someone with cancer to die from being run over by a beer truck.

Ok then. I'm still going strong. No beer truck as yet.

Maybe check your state laws. If it isn't a felony, work on making it so.

edit on 10/7/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well, for one, he wouldn't be infecting other women by his non-disclosure for at least 8 years.

Maybe he could sit there in prison and stew on it. He is a killer or at the very least, attempted killer.

And, btw, to answer your question above...'Yes', HIV always turns into AIDS in time without the treatment.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It seems like a law to protect prostitutes that have HIV
This is a bad law.

Supporters of the bill said women engaging in prostitution are disproportionately targeted with criminal charges, even in cases where the infection is not transmitted.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Lolliek

How about herpes. No cure. Right?

Glad you brought that up, something like 70% of the world has some form of the herpes virus right? Or at least that is waht I have always heard.

It does not kill anyone. Now can you imagine if even 50% of the world ends up with HIV because as long as we have meds it doesnt killl you?

Then what happens in a catastrophe and you cant get your meds? Also once were all infected they can charge whatever they want and its income BIg Pharma for life.

WTF.. They want to get us all infected like herpes its obvious.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

HIV always turns into AIDS in time without the treatment.

Syphilis is pretty nasty without treatment as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So if someone has HIV/aids and Infects a pregnant woman willingly? Then what? Or will they just get a slap on the wrist?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

But, the difference is, Phage, that when syphilis presents itself, it is curable within a short range of time. HIV is not. It is a lifelong expensive therapy of pharmaceuticals.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I know. But you said this.

Syphilis is always nasty without treatment.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
OMG.. This is all about population control they want us all infected and in 20 years they are gonna stop giving people access to the meds.

Its such evil genius shi...

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

If people continue being as stupid and as sexually reckless as they are, then they deserve what theyre gonna get and a whole lot more.

And then there's rape. People who look for people to infect on purpose. Some guys got aids, is angry and looking for revenge so knocks up dozens of men and women in night clubs across California. From married cheats to dumb drunken slogs. But hey, its just AIDS no big deal right. You'll get over it like syphilus.
edit on 7-10-2017 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

But curable.

You can be rid of syphilis quite easily these days.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

You can also avoid HIV.

I've only been able to locate a single conviction under the old law.
www.vvdailypress.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Currently, the lifetime treatment cost of an HIV infection is estimated at $379,668 (in 2010 dollars),

CDC Link

In 2014, 6,721 deaths were attributed directly to HIV.

CDC Link

1.0 millionpeople died of HIV-related illnesses worldwide in 2016

WHO Link

OK, at the very least when a person knowingly transmits HIV, they are costing the victim almost $400,000.00 in future medical costs and yes people are still dying as a direct result of it by the thousands.

Since this is about people knowingly transmitting the disease, a Felony is reasonable. We have around 16,000 murders, so HIV / AIDS kills roughly 40% the number of people murderers kill in a year. That's pretty significant.

I'm not sure why anyone would object to a serious punishment for that crime, considering the cost to the victim and the possibility of it killing them.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Syphilis is curable. You know, cure, as in you get treatment and you don't have it any more. That's not the case with HIV.

You know that.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

It seems like a law to protect prostitutes that have HIV

Which is a good reason why prostitution should be legal and regulated to prevent disease spread.

But that's another thread...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

One argument is that it is more of a public health issue than a criminal issue. Does criminalizing it do anything to address the public health issue? See above, I could find a single case which was prosecuted.

HIV has been the only communicable disease for which exposure is a felony under California law. The current law, Wiener argued, may convince people not to be tested for HIV, because without a test they cannot be charged with a felony if they expose a partner to the infection.

“We are going to end new HIV infections, and we will do so not by threatening people with state prison time, but rather by getting people to test and providing them access to care,” Wiener said.

www.latimes.com...

Does criminalizing heroin use do anything to fight the problem?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
So if someone has HIV/aids and Infects a pregnant woman willingly? Then what? Or will they just get a slap on the wrist?

The supreme creator will him or her hell, at the proper time.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Abysha

Dang, didn't that kill the "mood" a bit?
JK, probably being smart and cautious.

Other than the obvious sex thing, imagine someone infecting the blood supplies, or walking through a crowd sticking random people with an HIV infected blood source.

I can't believe this legislation. Felony for a plant, or any drug and a misdemeanor for sticking someone with an aids needle.

The average cost to treat HIV in 2010 was almost $400,000.
Now, I don't know the cost, but without insurance you die slowly of other secondary infections etc...

Pretty scary really, sounds like a good old pharmaceuticals legislation conspiracy.

Yeah... that's why I think a lawsuit would win. The cost of treatment is astronomical. I'm irate when I get a cold sore... couldn't imagine how pissed I'd be if it cost me millions to keep it from killing me.

But no, it's not a mood killer. If a girl you just met took you to get screened, you know that barrier-free fun is probably next. It's kinda hot, if you think about it.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Worst case hypothetical scenario...

A psychopath, someone in the high end society in California gets their diagnosis of HIV, discovers that spreading it is only a misdemeanor now. Decides to infect as many people as possible intentionally, in every way possible. Infects a hundred or more in the process, those infected unknowingly spread the infection to others before being diagnosed, and those they infected do the same, on and on and on...

I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies are loving this and other potential scenarios playing out in California... They are the only ones with nothing to lose and everything to gain here.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername
Since when do psychopaths worry about laws?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join