It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNLV class erupts after professor blames Trump for shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Four days after the Oct. 1 mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip, a UNLV professor of history said she had predicted "people would die" once Donald Trump was elected president.

Assistant professor Tessa Winkelmann made comments to her History 407 class Thursday afternoon that put some of the blame for Sunday’s shooting on Trump. Just four days earlier, a gunman killed 58 people and wounded 489 at a country music festival on the Strip.

“Right when he got elected, I told my classes, three semesters ago, that some of us won’t be affected by this presidency, but others are going to die,” Winkelmann says in the video obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “Other people will die because of this.”

Source: UNLV class erupts after professor blames Trump for shooting

But how did the class react to this totally insensitive and politically polarizing statement?

The student said Winkelmann’s comments polarized the classroom, and groups of students began shouting at one another.

Pretty much what any thoughtful person would predict could happen.

The university has made a statement that what she said was inappropriate, but didn't go as far as saying there was any retribution for her comments.

So ATS, do you think her comments were appropriate given the time frame of the event? As the say time heals all wounds, but 4 days is too short a time IMO. This would have been a great opportunity for her to encourage bipartisan discussion, without spewing her own personal political rhetoric into the conversation. As an assistant professor, she should remain neutral in these class discussions. Perhaps she should listen to her own words when she said to the class,

“And words, especially if they’re coming from someone who is the president, have consequences.

+39 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Liberal lesson #1

Never let a tragedy go to waste.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
A self fulfilling prophecy, no matter who is president, someone, somewhere is going to die. General statements are always true.

In this case, wasn't the shooter a liberal, anti Trump protester?

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Liberal lesson #1

Liberals are lethal and bad for all

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Where is the eruption? Did I miss it in the video?

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

What bothers me is that I pay for my daughter to attend college so she can get a salable skill so she can be a productive member of society. I don't want my money to be used to inflict toxic liberal ideology on the students.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

What bothers me is that I pay for my daughter to attend college so she can get a salable skill so she can be a productive member of society. I don't want my money to be used to inflict toxic liberal ideology on the students.

Have me personally met her professors?
If not, I would highly recommend you interview them, with your daughter in attendance. No better way to learn how they will be teaching. With your daughter there, if the professor claims one thing in the interview and teaches something different in class, your daughter will see how the political mind works to deceive at any cost.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I remember when Ron Paul could get a crowd at Berkley or Liberty university....

The two parties decided to go a different way, divide and conquer.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Right at the bottom of your link you can watch the video of this supposedly happening,

Its about 53 seconds long and at no point does the professor claim that Trump was responsible fore the Vegas shooting nor does the class erupt.

This whole post is utter BS and should be trashed in my view, the article just like this OP does not reflect what is actually in the video.

Where in this video does that professor actually say "Paddock killed those people because of Trump" and where does the class erupt?

edit on 7-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well what do you expect from followers of President Snowflake?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

In this case, wasn't the shooter a liberal, anti Trump protester?

No, but that sort of denial makes you popular around here.

The shooter was crazy and Conservatives are mad liberals are 'not letting tragedy go to waste'

all the while they waste no opportunity to paint liberalism as this monster based off the actions of the few they can barely connect to liberalism in the first place.

Can you provide any source or was your 'question' legitimate and not to surmise that's even what happened? Because everything I've found suggests he never was registered for either party, despite plenty of fake news(that you might be succetible to) he was a Democrat.

On the surface, he's a pro-gun millionaire from Texas with the equivalent of a mail order bride. What does that sound like to you? The closest people to him in his life were Conservative. His brother and his lover 'are praying for many'.

Crawford said: “Did he believe in the Lord? I think he probably did.” Paddock always carried a pistol around in his fanny pack with his money, Crawford said. “He never told me it was there,” Crawford said. “I knew it was there, because we would talk about guns and everything, and I said, ‘Do you carry yours around all the time?’ He said, ‘That’s for me to know and you to find out.’”

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Right at the bottom of your link you can watch the video of this supposedly happening,

Its about 58 second long and at no point does the professor claim that Trump was responsible fore the Vegas shooting nor does the class erupt.

This whole post is utter BS and should be trashed in my view, the article just like this OP does not reflect what is actually in the video.

Where in this video does that professor actually say "Paddock killed those people because of Trump"??

Why don't you learn how to read?

A student in the class was “dumbfounded” by Winkelmann’s comments and found them “appalling.” The student wished to remain anonymous for fear of retribution...

The student said Winkelmann’s comments polarized the classroom, and groups of students began shouting at one another.

And if you don't think that she was blaming Trump for the shooting, then brush up on your comprehension as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Regnor
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well what do you expect from followers of President Snowflake?

For your information, I have repeatedly stated I did NOT vote for Donald Trump for president. However, he is OUR president. And statement such as hers which are in the video (with subtitles) are totally inappropriate and insensitive regardless of WHO is president.

So for me, it is not a case of being a Trump follower. But being a decent person that respect the office. Shining a light on this type of political rhetoric (regardless of which side is represented) is simply WRONG in a classroom.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Its about 58 second long and at no point does the professor claim that Trump was responsible fore the Vegas shooting nor does the class erupt.

Where in this video does that professor actually say "Paddock killed those people because of Trump"??

A student in the class was “dumbfounded” by Winkelmann’s comments and found them “appalling.” The student wished to remain anonymous for fear of retribution...

And if you don't think that she was blaming Trump for the shooting, then brush up on your comprehension as well.

She never actually says that the shooting was Trumps fault, she never even mentions Vegas nor is there any eruption in the class.

The claims by the OP and the claims in the article are not backed up by the video. Actually going by the article all we have to go on is the word of a student. A single student.

People believe what they want to believe, its classic confirmation bias.

Thanks for the advice, here is some in return, how about you along with a lot of other people on ATS learn that just because you read something does not make it truth, how about you go off and learn how to critically analyse what you read.
edit on 7-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Liberal lesson #1

Liberals are lethal and bad for all

Um yeah, ok.

That doesn't make you sound nuts, at all.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

o for me, it is not a case of being a Trump follower. But being a decent person that respect the office. Shining a light on this type of political rhetoric (regardless of which side is represented) is simply WRONG in a classroom.

.....even though she never blamed Trump for the attack right?

She never even uses the word Vegas

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

o for me, it is not a case of being a Trump follower. But being a decent person that respect the office. Shining a light on this type of political rhetoric (regardless of which side is represented) is simply WRONG in a classroom.

.....even though she never blamed Trump for the attack right?

She never even uses the word Vegas

Seriously? How pedantic and blind with hate and political affiliation can you be? She was referring to the president in her words. She mentioned the election. She mentioned the verbal jousting with North Korea. Her statements of what happened "here" refer to where they are at the University of LAS VEGAS.

Either you are incredibly stupid (which I doubt) or incredibly blind and didn't watch the video yourself. Please stop trying to spread falsehoods here.

edit on 10/7/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Seriously? How pedantic and blind with hate and political affiliation can you be?

You tell me because you are the one saying that she blames Trump for the Vegas shooting even though she done't even mention Vegas.

he was referring to the president in her words. She mentioned the election. She mentioned the verbal jousting with North Korea.

Didn't mention Vegas though did she?

Please stop trying to spread falsehoods here.

Bit rich is not coming fro the guy claiming this teacher blamed Trump for the Vegas shooting when the video quite clearly shows she never actually even uses the word "Vegas", nor does the class "erupt" as you claimed.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

She never actually says that the shooting was Trumps fault, she never even mentions Vegas nor is there any eruption in the class.

The claims by the OP and the claims in the article are not backed up by the video. Actually going by the article all we have to go on is the word of a student. A single student.

People believe what they want to believe, its classic confirmation bias.

You know what? You're right. The video is less than a minute long and it could very well have been taken out of context and used as a political hit piece.

But, do you have anything to support that claim or are you just expressing a hunch? It's okay, I get hunches all the time.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
As if no one died under Obama or Bush or Clinton or any other president. Trump is literally the first president to ever have a mass shooting happen under his watch. Lol.

But let's go ahead and make a big deal out of something someone said, we should cry a river over it. It's not like we were complaining about the same exact thing when liberals were doing it not that long ago.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join