It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommend a Home Air Filtration Unit vs. PM2.5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
hello ATSers! i come to you with my figurative hat in my hand, humbly begging for recommendations from those of you in the know....

i recently moved to the bay area, and i seem to have unusual sensitivity to the air quality here. even moderate air quality days are triggering tightness in my chest, sinus irritation, and sore throats.

i'm limiting my exposure to outdoor air on those days, but -- and here's the thing: half the days are moderate air quality days right now, and my house doesn't have central air, and doesn't have a recirculating option for the house fan.

so, i'm looking into getting a stand-alone, home air filtration unit, hopefully something that will help keep the indoor air fresher when everything's bottled up, and/or help remove the PM2.5 if i have the windows open. but there is a lot (a LOT) of info online about this and it's all turning into a hash in my head.

do any of you have experience with this issue and/or recommendation? would a stand-alone AC unit be better?

i'm open to suggestion and i appreciate all input.

thank you!

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

yes definitely , this is what I recommend trying : aquaponics

When I had system set up the room I slept in , it definitely did me good . Basically its a fat fish tank , with fish , and plants . You'd need a light to make the plants grow . I put an oversized air pump through the tank water as well . When you've got say 100 litres of fresh water where all those algae present are making oxygen , and the pump is filtering the air through the water physically , and you've got oxygen producing , carbon and nitrogen digesting bacteria inside the billions of holes in the hydroton gravel , and plants growing , also filtering and reculturing the air , in the room with you ..
this produces multiple benefits of note for air quality .
I don't expect you can buy this commercially yet , but some basic plumbing in with pond shop kit is good for your mind to approach as well .
You can go for a bespoke system with fish and lights and plants( recommended) , or just go for pumping the air you're about to breathe into bubbles through some water first . Use a or several air diffusers and an air pump with several hundred lph (litres per hour) capacity .

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GeneralMayhem

that is a really interesting idea, and it makes good sense. i was honestly hoping for something a little more plug-n-play to start with, but i'm going to keep this in mind... seems like this might end up being an ongoing issue for me so i definitely like this kind of long-term, large-scale thought about it. thank you

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
on a related note, does anyone know if installing a really good filter in my central unit would help? i'm not sure how it works when i run the house fan on vent, if it pulls the air straight in, or if it gets filtered first. :/

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Perhaps try a hepa filter. Their not cheap but they are plug and play. See the link below.

www.iqair.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

those look good...definitely possibility
thank you!

i'm waiting til at least monday before i take a next step, b/c i want to talk to my maintenance office about exactly how the house fan works, and with my doctor as well just to make sure i've got the bases covered.

i appreciate the ideas, thanks guys

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
hello ATSers! i come to you with my figurative hat in my hand, humbly begging for recommendations from those of you in the know....

thank you!

I use an IQAir unit.

It reduces the dust, bacteria, and viruses in the air, and some chemical odors.

It's not perfect though.

My experience with it over the last 4 years is that it reduced the dust that used to accumulate in 2 days time, to accumulate in 2 weeks instead. This is good for me. But, it doesn't eliminate all dust. I was hoping to reduce the amount of vacuuming around the house, but still have to vacuum once a week to keep the dust down.

A lot of things will affect how effective the air cleaner is, such as placement in the room, how many hours it's on, how often you change the filters, etc...I keep mine running at full speed "Level 6" all the time, since that works best, moves the most air through the filters. It has Hyper-Hepa filter, which is better than just "Hepa", and which qualities it for "Hospital Quality Air".

After using it for awhile now, I suspect that an electrostatic air cleaner would be better at removing the dust. This is just my gut feeling. No testing. Some people say the electrostatic method is more risky for health reasons, since it charges dust particles, which if they escape the unit can lodge in the lungs and create respiratory problems. So, I went for the pure air cleaner that just moves air through the filters, without using electrostatic "cling" to grab the dust particles.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

another rec for IQAir, and a lot of good points to consider in addition. thank you

new topics

top topics

join