It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Australia was stripped of their automatic and semi-automatic weapons in 1996

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

I have no side, and I don't believe anyone.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I know that that this is a difficult concept for a likely member of the NRA to get their head around, but free access to machine guns (no matter what the designation) is not actually a sign of a mature society. I'm British. I don't have a gun. I don't want a gun. I don't need a gun.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

On topic: There's a need for guns here in Australia - farmers are the first group I can think of with the necessity

Strength and numbers will then rule if no equalizer is available.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

You cannot compare Australia to the US - attitudes are different, population, stereotypes, crime figures, where and how we live etc do not compare to 50 states of the US and the 200million + population.

Actually, we have roughly 324.4 million. Other than that, I agree with everything else. You just can't compare the U.S to Australia or Britain, or any other country you care to name. The people, attitudes, society in general are just too different. What works for one will not work for all.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Well have fun with your target shooting at your shooting clubs. Those are not the most important functions of owning a weapon.

Please tell us the most important function.

Killing people?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: auroraaus

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: nOraKat

Plenty of people here still own guns and use them on a regular basis, hand guns and semi auto and auto were outlawed....

Interestingly since 1996 we have not had a tyrannical government come and kill us all, and we are not scared walking down the street, so there is that.

I don't know about you, but I'm mindful of those teenagers in groups when I walk down the street!

On topic: There's a need for guns here in Australia - farmers are the first group I can think of with the necessity

Well teenagers suck, not enough to shoot them however.

Farmers need guns yes absolutely, just like in the U.S there are reasonable grounds for country folk to own guns, the argument falls flat however in a suburban or city landscape .

You gotta shoot first and ask questions later, don't you know.

Someone comes sneaking up to your front door at 6pm on a thursday, it's one in the skull day, or.. for us, knifeday.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

You gotta shoot first and ask questions later, don't you know.

Ah yes the Victoria police motto.

Someone comes sneaking up to your front door at 6pm on a thursday, it's one in the skull day, or.. for us, knifeday.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Yes, its to defend yourself from your enemies.

Nobody finds this suspicious? -

..Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head
- Link

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I was just assuming that the 19/20 figure was wrong. No way in hell did one guy do that, I don't care how much training he had.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Funny how you never mentioned the benefits of it.

Prior to 1996 over the span of 18 years the Auzi's had about 13 mass shootings, since the changes to the law they have had....one.

Their gun related homicide rate has droop and so has their suicide rate, year on year its dropped.

Watch that video. Then tell me about the big bad Auzi gun grab.

It has had nothing but benefits to the country.

No big bad, tyrannical government takeover!
edit on 7-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Plenty of people here still own guns and use them on a regular basis, hand guns and semi auto and auto were outlawed....

So what does that leave you with? Shotguns?

Have fun with your skeet shooting. Home defense and personal protection are jobs much better performed by something FMJ.

Thank God I live in a state where people can open carry with no license. I'm sure that scares the hell out of folks like you. Regardless, Louisiana is a very armed and very friendly state. I wonder if the two are related?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

..Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head
- Link

Not at all suspicious considering the size of the (now demolished in favour of a memorial site) cafe. Those people would be transfixed in shock of what was happening and all were within point-blank range.

'Guns' have not been banned here and the number of registered firearms in public hands has actually increased. What was banned are weapons capable of rapid fire IE semi-automatic rifles and pump action shotguns. Personal or home defence is not a valid reason for possession of any sort of firearm in Oz, acceptable reasons are being the owner of a rural property, a professional shooter of feral animals, sporting shooter etc and strict conditions apply.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Ahh, to kill people.

Every problem is a nail, if you always carry a hammer. Something.

- Link

With his weapons? aiming for headshots isn't a sign of skill. Autistic people are often good at what they like doing.

But no, he was a mossad agent or there were 3 military trained men, or I dunno, rambo, sent by the government to kill a whole town of people so they could take our guns, and since his operation, we've been so under the thumb from government agents intent on killing us.

Can't pull the wool over the eyes of internet sleuths.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Interestingly since 1996 we have not had a tyrannical government come and kill us all

But if it ever happens , you willfully have nothing..

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

And by some estimates there are around 300 million privately owned guns in the US. That does not include police and military owned guns nor illegally owned guns.

To say that there is a gun of some sort for every man, woman and child that is able to hold one in the US is by no means an exaggeration. But the interesting thing is that only 32-38% of the population legally owns guns. Add in illegal gun ownership and I bet that approaches 45-50%.

But all those numbers are of course just guesses. The truth is no one knows because not everyone is honest about if they own or how many and of what type. And most importantly, the Federal government is not allowed to know. They can do simple investigation that a S&W Model 29, serial number 1234 was found. That was sold to Bob's Guns in Knoxville, TN from S&W. Bob's sold it to BillyBob's Guns in San Francisco who in turn made a sale to SFPD. They assigned it to Det. Harry Callahan. Any gaps or private sales in that paper trail and the chain is broken.

I guess what I am saying is that November 1963 wasn't enough to end guns in America although, I would say it got the ball rolling given the 1968 measures of gun control, so this latest in Vegas isn't going to do it either. And let's face it, if it did then who going out to collect these guns from the people? Are you knocking on a door asking for a 22 knowing full well that there could be upwards of 30 guns pointed at you from surrounding buildings?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Interestingly since 1996 we have not had a tyrannical government come and kill us all

Australia is probably the last place in the world you will find a tyrannical government.

I think there is a fundamental problem with America and violence, in the rest of the world we sit down over a drink and talk about our problems. For example, Toney Blair negotiated the Good Friday Agreement over a cup of tea, before anything was ever made public about it. In America it seems a big gun is the solution to problems, diplomacy always seems to end in death, its the same in society.

Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people.

Australians are some of the best people you will meet, I am pretty sure a Auzi would look at your post and laugh.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

So what does that leave you with? Shotguns?

Have fun with your skeet shooting. Home defense and personal protection are jobs much better performed by something FMJ.

Thank God I live in a state where people can open carry with no license. I'm sure that scares the hell out of folks like you. Regardless, Louisiana is a very armed and very friendly state. I wonder if the two are related?

Lol a country armed with nukes that tells other countries that if they use their nukes, they'll nuke 'em.

A person armed with a FMJ weapon tells other people that if they come into their homes intending on committing crime, they'll shoot 'em.

The day we see no gun related crime in the US, is the day I'll believe that rubbish...

Won't hold my breath though. "Badw0lf died of asphyxiation whilst holding his breath waiting for the largest gun toting nation on the planet to obtain the lowest statistic of gun related incidents. Another gun related statistic."

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

We still have guns, incase you have missed the point. And we're not afraid of the cops man.. Not when we have thongs.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Coming to a country near you.. and soon I suspect.

I doubt it , your right to own weapons of war will continue , the NRA will protect you.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

A person armed with a FMJ weapon tells other people that if they come into their homes intending on committing crime, they'll shoot 'em.

As well it should be. People breaking into your house generally don't have the best of intentions.

I live in an area where home invasions and burglaries are practically unheard of. People know that everyone around here is armed. Gee I wonder if there is a correlation between the two?

The day we see no gun related crime in the US, is the day I'll believe that rubbish...

Just ask the good folks of Chicago. They have some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, and the highest rate of homicides. Gee I wonder if there is a correlation there as well?

Notice how these mass shootings always happen at schools, churches, hospitols. Places where an individual knows there will be nobody armed to stop them. Once again, could it be a correlation there?

Might as well ban cars, trucks, knives, machetes, clubs, anything that a person can use to kill somebody else. Hell, Cain killed Abel with his bare hands. I guess we need to outlaw those as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join