It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's really quite likely that Iceland will be at the World Cup finals and Argentina won't be.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Tonight Iceland did the unthinkable and won against Turkey away 3-0 in a match that was literally do or die for both teams. The world cup qualifications Group I is so tight that one misstep at this point means you're probably out and in a game that I was really stressed about before kick off, we showed heavy discipline and managed a 3-0 win in what is probably, the hardest away game in Europe. BBC were following this game on their page and that is where I took the title from. "It's really quite likely that Iceland will be at the World Cup finals and Argentina won't be. " Link is here

Before this match we had Croatia and Iceland equal with 16 points each but Croatia had a 5+ in goal difference. Then following those two teams were Turkey and Ukraine with 14 points each. Before this match the final outcome of the group could have had 27 different outcomes with all those four teams qualifying for the World cup. What happened was, Turkey lost to us meanwhile Ukraine won Kosovo 0-2 away and the most surprising (and enjoyable for me personally) result probably was Croatia drawing to Finland 1-1 with my friends from Finland equalizing the game 1-1 at the 90th minute....this result means, we only have to win Kosovo at home next monday evening. But that is no easy feat. either , Kosovo are a team of hard knocks who've only been playing together for about a year or two and they are steadily improving. In Ukraine's last match, they host Croatia which means Iceland is guaranteed second place at least. But with Ukraine and Croatia both having 17 points this match will be a literal war for second place (at least)

As it stands, it's

1: Iceland - 19 points
2: Croatia - 17 points
3: Ukraine - 17 points

Last game is Iceland - Kosovo and Ukraine - Croatia.

I'm still in disbelief here, this has been a pretty great day for us Icelanders. All we need to do is win our last match and we're through to the world cup for the first time in history. Trinidad & Tobago hold the record of being the smallest nation at the world cup ever, with a population of 1.9 million and we could snatch that record with a population of 320000.

IF...this happens, there will be a national celebration over here monday night.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, there are a lot of other interesting games , please let's discuss them in here. I've felt for a while that ATS needed a football thread. One group I'm keeping my eye on, is the one with Sweden , France and Netherlands. With Netherland's horrible form recently, they still have a chance of qualifying...that would be amazing for them, considering all. All I know is, last match is Sweden vs. Netherlands and it's going to be do or die for each team. Australia vs. Syria sounds like a fairy tale too, with the match up tied at 1-1...can Syria overcome the odds and win the second match and unite their nation in times of heavy crisis? (horrible fact, last September...was the deadliest month of the year for them...with 995 casualties due to the ongoing civil war) That's not even mentioning the high tension in South America but if my memory serves me correctly there are 2 points between 3rd place and 7th with only one match to go. We seriously could see my dude Messi lose out on the world cup...which I hope does not happen.

Anyway it goes, it's all on the line and some exciting games ahead!!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Verse

Congrats to Iceland.

One of the fastest rising teams in Europe at the moment...
Really improving with every game they play.

My prediction is that either Spain, France or Belgium will win the World Cup.

I’m hoping Belgium win it, and my boy Eden Hazard (Hazardous duh lol) will be the player of the tournament.

I’m just sad it’s being played in Russia...
If you had to pick 5 countries that don’t deserve to host the World Cup, they’d be in there for sure.

Good luck, Verse.

edit on 6-10-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Huge congratulations to your team. I loved Iceland in the Euros. Great team spirit, fantastic support, disciplined and seemingly punching above their weight. Always love an underdog. Really pleased for you guys

I would love to see Iceland in the world cup, reckon you guys deserve it

edit on 6-10-2017 by Indrasweb because: For spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thanks!!! It's been a awesome few years...never thought I'd see the day. Just 10 years ago we were in like 120th position on the world list.
I agree, Russia Qatar etc are way too corrupted and these countries shouldn't really get to host the tournament. I remember some years ago when it was in Holland/Belgium, it was much easier...the games played in Belgium had the drunkies while the Holland games had more happy/quieter ones lol. As for Belgium it's bout time they show what they're made off...talent wise, they're up there, just need to show they're a team too and stop relying on individuals. They have it all, with your boy giving these hazardous (lol) passes to Lukaku..it's going to be an interesting tournament for them indeed.
The Germanz will probably be up there but one team I'm looking at is France with Dembele and my boy Mbappe pulling a Henry for the next decade. (how I wish he would've come to Arsenal lol)

England will probably face us again and get rocked..same old !

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Thank you!! I was so scared us getting to the Euros would be a one time thing, since even the most experienced teams suffer a world cup hangover, in where they lose all steam in the qualifiers right after doing good in a big tournament (even Holland did) But this nation?? Nope!! This is unreal, there is a possibility we could Win a group which featured Turkey, Ukraine AND CROATIA. There is actually the possibility of Croatia not even qualifying at all and they've always been one of the best teams out there. I'm still coming to terms with reality here

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Keep-on kicking Iceland! You're awesome!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I watched yesterday the Argentina-Peru game. Ended 0-0. Messi was useless, he can't play well unless he's with his club.

Peru goalkeeper was awesome, best of the game.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Keep-on kicking Iceland! You're awesome!

Thanks!! Hopefully we do!! One game to go, everything on the line!!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I watched yesterday the Argentina-Peru game. Ended 0-0. Messi was useless, he can't play well unless he's with his club.

Peru goalkeeper was awesome, best of the game.

I watched it too...it was a real shame. But all respect to Peru for keeping him quiet for 90 minutes though...they pulled off a great defensive performance. Looks like Messi will never do what Maradona did, win whole world cups on his own. I think it also has to do with defending, you can't just dribble past defenders like they're cones like Maradona did in his prime. Defenders have become way better (or that's what the messi fanboy in me wants to believe lol) With Columbia losing their match though, there are still spots open so they could still make it...that's incredible to me but it's gonna be hard. Messi will know he only has one last chance, it's Sunday night and he has to put his magic on display.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

...messi fanboy...

Ronaldo is better!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

lol I agree....what he did for Brazil was incredible. Only the youngest player ever to win the world cup in their history!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i hope iceland makes it and gets drawn in englands group, easy 3 points for you guys

we (australia) will knock out syria next week when we play in australia without the dodgy ref. he's ripped us off before. opposition players just need to get near the ball and fall over and he penalises us. check out the penalty they got..

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verse

lol I agree....what he did for Brazil was incredible. Only the youngest player ever to win the world cup in their history!

True...
But I actually meant Cristiano Ronaldo, lol.

However, as you mentioned it, Brazilian Ronaldo used to be my all time favourite, until Ronaldinho arrived on the scene...
For me, he (Ronaldinho) is the greatest entertainer in all of sports history, not just Football.
edit on 6-10-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Emit1
i hope iceland makes it and gets drawn in englands group, easy 3 points for you guys

we (australia) will knock out syria next week when we play in australia without the dodgy ref. he's ripped us off before. opposition players just need to get near the ball and fall over and he penalises us. check out the penalty they got..

I admit having Syria there would be cool for the fairy tale but I would definitely miss Australia too. It's something about world cups and getting to see Australia play football. (such a great country too)
That was never a pealty btw. First time I'm seeing the highlights, looks like you guys owned that game. If I'm to be honest, you guys will probably win the second match without much problems and if we're lucky, we might see a Iceland vs. Australia game in the group stages. That's gonna be fun!!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: Verse

True...
But I actually meant Cristiano Ronaldo, lol.

However, as you mentioned it, Brazilian Ronaldo used to be my all time favourite, until Ronaldinho arrived on the scene...
For me, he (Ronaldinho) is the greatest entertainer in all of sports history, not just Football.

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of this Cristiano fella you speak off...

lol jk. Yeah, he's great, just too arrogant for my taste...so I can't really support him. But he IS up there with Messi. I still say my friend Messi is better, but obviously I'm biased having been a Barca fan since 98 and Argentina fan since the Batistuta days. Ronaldinho I agree on, he was such an entertainer in his prime, I thought we would never ever see anything like him ever again....then this little Argentinian stepped up and took charge around the same time Ronaldinho started to think party > football. Ronaldinho and Etoo....now that was a deadly combo. Thank heavens we got Messi though, because that meant Barca could afford to drop Ronaldinho. I agree though, things Ronaldinho could do in his prime were unearthly, he definitely had some of that alien technology thing going on.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Haha.

I used to think he was arrogant too, but I watched a Ronaldo documentary (not the movie) and he is actually a really down to earth guy.
That changed my mind about him.

I’m only joking with you anyways, I could never really choose between Messi or Ronaldo...
They’re both out of this World in their own different ways.

It’s just a pleasure to be alive at this time and see them in their prime.
Hopefully they both make the World Cup and perform.

Off topic: Batistuta was amazing, but Crespo was my personal favourite.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Haha.

I used to think he was arrogant too, but I watched a Ronaldo documentary (not the movie) and he is actually a really down to earth guy.
That changed my mind about him.

I’m only joking with you anyways, I could never really choose between Messi or Ronaldo...
They’re both out of this World in their own different ways.

It’s just a pleasure to be alive at this time and see them in their prime.
Hopefully they both make the World Cup and perform.

Off topic: Batistuta was amazing, but Crespo was my personal favourite.

lol respect, you're more open minded than me...Ronaldo will never be a decent guy to me sorry! But it is a privilege to get to exist and watch them both play in their prime. Two players who could possibly be better than the Pele's and Maradona's of history (given everything they've achieved w. their clubs) The world cup would be a lesser tournament indeed if one of them were missing. (Portugal are going to the playoffs btw, so they're not even completely through with Switzerland murdering their group) I remember Hernan Crespo was a great player but he kinda lost a bit of his mystique when he joined Chelsea. Players in the Serie A during that time always had a certain aura around them, when you could see them play for English teams they become more ..normal. (maybe it was the visibility too, we have always had all the english games on tv nonstop over here, but the Serie A has been lacking...) Great goalscorer though and one for the history books. Argentina definitely needs one of those today, who can put Messi's assists into the goal.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

...but he kinda lost a bit of his mystique when he joined Chelsea.

Arghhhhh... I won’t hear this blasphemy (lol).

Fun fact, Crespo has the best goals-to-minutes-played ratio in our (Chelsea’s) modern history.
I was so sad that he didn’t play more games for us.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

...but he kinda lost a bit of his mystique when he joined Chelsea.

Arghhhhh... I won’t hear this blasphemy (lol).

Fun fact, Crespo has the best goals-to-minutes-played ratio in our (Chelsea’s) modern history.
I was so sad that he didn’t play more games for us.

Damn, lol so sorry about that! Didn't know that...kinda forgot about his performances in Chelsea but that's awesome. So he's kind of like a unsung hero over there? That's interesting. Maybe like I said, it was just seeing him more..at that time he was more of a name on CM for me than anything else haha. (and he was great in CM) Since Chelsea is the subject here, I have to say my favorite Chelsea attacking duo is (obviously) Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink ...back then the news called Chelsea "Eiður smári and friends" and they were always first in the sports news lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

So he's kind of like a unsung hero over there?

Not really, lol.
Not many Chelsea fans know about Crespo’s statistics for the club.

They listen to too much MSM and believe he was a “flop”, sadly.

Eidur Gudjohnsen is an absolute legend at Chelsea.

He has a big place in our hearts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join