It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NG went back to the future for the B-21

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

The parts of the F-35 that make it "amazing" is certainly not the airframe performance. It's the stealth, sensors, avionics and perhaps the STOVL system. Obviously it would be nicer if these were paired to non-multi-service aircraft.

It would be nice if the F-35 was more like the aircraft in my avatar.

I don't know if they fixed it yet, but it would go bingo for insufficient fuel to cool electronics, not to fly the plane

Tthere are certain avionics, fuel, and temperature limits in several flight manuals including the F/A-18 Super Hornet.

At nominal ambient conditions, the aircraft fuel system should provide adequate cooling for the FADECs and subsystem accessories. With extremely hot ambient conditions, feed tank fuel temperatures can approach the 59°C inflight limit. During low altitude flight in hot conditions, particularly with a low fuel state, an L or R FUEL HOT caution may appear. If sufficient cooling is unavailable, the L or R OIL HOT cautions may also appear.

info.publicintelligence.net...

Regardless, 5th generation aircraft tend to become thermally challenged because they have a large amount of avionics and limited availability of heatsinks (i.e. cannot place a heat-exchanger anywhere for LO reasons. On the Block II Super Hornet they added very visible vents near the tail above the engines).

I've heard the F-35 becomes thermally limited limited at the end of a sortie, hot day, at low altitude, with less than 1,000 lb fuel remaining.

No worse at CAS than other 4th generation aircraft, except EOTS is a generation old at this point.

B-21 should have more thermal headroom because it's a large aircraft with more fuel and space and will be expected to fly at high altitude where the air is much colder
edit on 10/10/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: penroc3

Rumor has it the most advanced part of the f35 is the new D.U.D.E. AI system.

Does that system whip up a steady supply of White Russians for the pilot?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

i agree that a new aircraft will have MANY issues. the days of non-computer assisted flight is gone and the systems that run the platforms have a daunting list of goals.

but the F-35 gets a bad rap by people that really don't understand the hurdles integrating all the systems, but once its all sorted out and some of the more interesting capabilities are known or hinted at will vindicate the Lightning II

i do however think they were a bit to ambitious and confident with the F-35. The B-21 is part of a family of systems so that meanjs they won't have to squeeze in some of the more esoteric capabilities of the family in one platform

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

They ran into problems with early testing. They had several B models try to land on a bowling alley.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

No but it can hack the liquor stores POS machine and deny the credit cards of anyone attempting to purchase anything yOuve got dibs on. And boot your prying girlfriend from accessing your email.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join