It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Jagmeet Singh be Canada's Obama?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
In the spirit of comparing everything we do with the States I'm looking at the new leader of the NDP and considering if he has a shot at being PM. I'm thinking Obama because before him the presidency has been held only by white men. Yeah I know Kim Campbell was PM shortly but she was appointed, not elected. So being PM up to this point the PM has been a white male.

Jagmeet Singh is an observant Sikh. He won the leadership of the New Democratic Party(NDP) this week. I guess you would call them Canada's third party. Only achieving opposition party status once two elections ago and getting put back to third party in the last election. That's a high hill to climb and one only Jack Layton was able to pull off.

A short bio:

Jagmeet Singh, the first turban-wearing Sikh to sit in Ontario's legislature, will now lead a federal political party with his victory in the NDP leadership race on Sunday.

Singh, 38, won on the first ballot Sunday, taking 53 per cent of the vote to top MPs Charlie Angus, Niki Ashton and Guy Caron.

Singh has represented the riding of Bramalea-Gore-Malton at Queen's Park since 2011. The unmarried MPP served as the Ontario NDP's critic for justice and consumer services before party leader Andrea Horwath named him her deputy in 2015.

*snip*

A criminal defence lawyer who speaks fluent French and Punjabi, Singh was born in Scarborough, Ont., in 1979.

Singh was raised in Newfoundland and Labrador while his father, who trained as a psychiatrist in India, attended medical school there and worked as a security guard before he could practise in Canada.

www.cbc.ca...

The comparison to Obama is obviously because he's not a white dude. While Obama achieved something I didn't see happening in my lifetime, Sorry Americans I sold you short I don't know whether Singh can carry this. Not only the third party but I don't know if he can get the support needed. He can do well in Ontario, which you have to carry if you want to run the country, but that is offset by Quebec which is #2. I don't see him doing well in Alberta either but they seldom stray from the Conservatives anyway. The rest of the prairies? Err, IDK. Same with the Maritimes. BC is quite open so support there may be his.

Policy will be paramount in gaining support. That and a collapse of the Grits and Tories. Harper's folly is still fresh and Trudeau is suffering a freshman slump. Anything is possible. Maybe lightning can strike twice in a lifetime.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am threatened by his turbans.

Even though they are fancy coloured, and he talks like a surfer.

But, still...

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If civil war is your endgame yeah go with another race baiting Obama.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well it's a little early to know what he's going to bring to NDP policy.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Harper's folly is still fresh and Trudeau is suffering a freshman slump. Anything is possible. Maybe lightning can strike twice in a lifetime.

Frustrating.
So far, I like him. But I don't like ndp much. (Alberta - Rachael Notley, nuff said).
I don't like Scheer. He puts me off. Something about him.
And Trudeau is proving himself incompetent.
Damn.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

A stray thought comes to mind on this subject. I cannot recall a Canadian poster refer to TPTB when discussing Canadian politics.

It is reasonable to assume Canada is not immune from similar machinations. (if not in outright lockstep)

There is another similarity you didn't mention between the two and that is religious. Both weren't Christian. Could that have a potential impact?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

A stray thought comes to mind on this subject. I cannot recall a Canadian poster refer to TPTB when discussing Canadian politics.

It is reasonable to assume Canada is not immune from similar machinations. (if not in outright lockstep)

Regionally there is some business influence. Like Irving Oil in New Brunswick but for the most part there's little lobbying and influence here.

There is another similarity you didn't mention between the two and that is religious. Both weren't Christian. Could that have a potential impact?

That presupposes that Obama isn't Christian and I'm not going to get into that brouhaha.

edit on 6-10-2017 by intrepid because: Bloody BB code.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Please do not omit the McGill crowd and their long and distinguished relationship with the Ivy League in the U.S..

The only argument in the U.S. regarding Obama, religion-wise, was whether he was in fact Muslim. There isn't any debate as to him being Christian, at all. He was not. ( neither am I.)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Identity politics is not a good look on Canada, but I assure you people would vote for him on the basis of his skin-colour.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Many times what you are is more important to the Canadian voter than what you say and do. Trudeau has no reason being a party leader let alone PM. His father was the most loved and hated PM in my life. The country is finding out that the apple fell far from that tree. He takes after his mother.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Many times what you are is more important to the Canadian voter than what you say and do. Trudeau has no reason being a party leader let alone PM. His father was the most loved and hated PM in my life. The country is finding out that the apple fell far from that tree. He takes after his mother.

I hope so. Much has already been made about him being the first "non-white" federal leader, as if skin color should be some sort of selling point. I guess we'll find out from the politicians and political ads whether they push policy or identity as his selling feature. I hope it's the former.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you guys are looking for an Obama we have one or two we aren't using right now. We can even throw in a couple of Clintons and maybe some spare celebrities. I mean, why settle for high fructose corn syrup when you can have real maple syrup, right?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
He's leader of the NDP, so...no.

The NDP will never even form a Minority Government. No hope, no chance. Their entire history as the "other" party continues.

The Conservatives and the Liberals will continue to be the only parties to from the government.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Haha lolol. Right? He talks like Wayne's world. He is going to appeal to young ppl and immigrants. Quebec will never accept him. I just moved to Qc. From a lifetime in Ontario. He's going to try hard for Qc. But it will never happen. It's not a race thing, might be a bit of a religion thing and more of a language separatist thing.

Edit to add he does speak French, it's not about that. I'm a full card carrying Lib and I effing love Trudeau. I know ppl are going to hate me for that. I don't care!! Lol.
edit on 6 by tiredoflooking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Guys...hes NOT a Muslim smh.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
considering both the liberals and PC's have slowly ruined our country, you'd think our people would give the third option a try... almost pointless though... they'd be blamed for everything the previous parties have done... then back to the same old back and forth

Canadian politics is insanity...

new topics

top topics

join