It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of removing statues. Should the tearful left pay for this?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: network dude

Where are the monuments to the underground railroad? To the abolitionists?

I can't remember the last time anyone put up a Harriet Tubman statue, are there any in public spaces?
I totally agree there should be but those who support it should foot the bill.
Few, if any of these Confederate statues were erected with tax money but through donations.
That's why it took nearly 50 years to start putting them up because the South was left destitute by the war.

What I find ironic is how many people call themselves "the resistance" when it comes to Trump, thinking he is a dictator in waiting. The irony is that is exactly how Southerners viewed the election of Abraham Lincoln who became President without winning a single Southern state.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

So you're saying who we praise as American heritage is contested by what it cost?

Interesting. Especially that you agree, but don't act.

I wonder what stage the privatization of this occurs, and we praise what is cost effective over all moral.

Like a huge Nike and Coca-cola statue, that's what we need. Because it won't cost tax payers to remember our 'roots' for some free easy PR.
edit on 7-10-2017 by DisinfoEqualsTerrorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: network dude

Except this has been going on for years and years.

So you can show me some of your posts from years back where you can show how these statues upset you?

Would she have to provide a personal post to prove the debate has been going in for years or did you just build a strawman?

Nope, but it would go a long way to discrediting my theory that this is a SJW movement and the one's pushing it, really never had a dog in this fight until the MSM told them to. How about you, you are quite the vocal adversary, lets see your past outrage.

There is a difference between an "SJW" movement and reality. Idiots ripping down monuments should be stopped and arrested.

Personally I think you can tell the story and leave them. If a Dixiecrat politician had the monuments put up in front of a court house as a political statement against blacks let the plaque say that.
edit on 7-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Sorry if it came across as patronizing, it wasn't the intention. Just wanted to be sure you know it's the argument and not the person.

But hopefully you can see the point I was trying to make that you and others who now champion this cause didn't care, nor even worry enough to say anything about it until it became "en vogue".

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
my guess is that if people, on both sides would just settle down and let the cities, states, and federal gov't decide the merit of these statues on an individual basis based on rational decisions, some would come down, some would be left up. it's not like there's a lack of "Robert E. Lee" and gang in the south...

the torches came back to charlottesville last night, they didn't stay long and there was no violence.
but, I have to ask, just what does insulting those living in the city that you don't know about their lifestyle accomplish, outside of trying to anger them? were they hoping to start trouble??
and they promised that they would come back, and keep coming back. why?? it seems that they are almost trying to terrorize the community, either leave the statue alone, or we will come back, raise hell, and well, waste around $70 thousand dollars of your tax money so your city can provide security.

wtvr.com...

even their little gig tonight cost city resources!!

you can't sit there and always preach national sovereignty, state's rights, but then turn around and deny the communities the rights that have been given to them to decide. you don't believe in national sovereignty if you flock across the borders into neighboring countries trying to coerce them into doing want your want, you can't believe in state's rights if you do this and you deny the most important right of all, that of communities to govern themselves when it comes to community matters... some of the most important decisions when it comes to your quality of life are made at the community level!!

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

we have a Harriet Tubman museum, does that count??

What I find ironic is how many people call themselves "the resistance" when it comes to Trump, thinking he is a dictator in waiting. The irony is that is exactly how Southerners viewed the election of Abraham Lincoln who became President without winning a single Southern state.

what get's me is that alex jones has been using the "We are the resistance" or whatever long before the dems started using it, and yet, all of a sudden, when it comes to the dems... it's almost treason, while alex I do believe is still using it....

odd how things end up huh???

if you listen till the end, you will hear them verbally whipping those men into military formation...
this is the resistance that alex is talking about.

when you hear the dem leadership talk about resistance, they seem to be more inclined with trying to get people involved in politics, running for offices, ect.......

but of course, it seems the right always thinks that since they are doing something, surely the dems must also be doing the same thing!!!!

oh and did you hear that little "Russia is our friend" bit???

this is what their "friend" has been doing according to our intelligence sources...

But other Russian accounts preferred to play both sides, amplifying discord and ratcheting rhetoric. For these fake accounts, it wasn’t a matter of pushing certain policies, or even reinforcing the types of ultra-conservative talking points and legislation Moscow has brought to bear in Russia. Instead, it was about inflaming divisions, and, in a throwback to Kremlin policies from the Soviet period, increasing domestic tensions.

An analysis by the Daily Beast in September said that as many as 70 million Americans could have been exposed to fraudulent social media ads, and Facebook has also admitted that it was “possible” that they haven’t found all the Russian-linked ads. A new study from Oxford University also found that fake news and misinformation was significantly more present in swing states.

thinkprogress.org...

edit on 8-10-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

But hopefully you can see the point I was trying to make that you and others who now champion this cause didn't care, nor even worry enough to say anything about it until it became "en vogue".

This is not true either. Way back when I was in high school street names started to change in the inner city, this was something we talked about in our civics classes and those conversations expanded to the monuments that are still being fought over.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I guess the OP didn't go as far as reading the actual memo to see what the culprit of the cost really was.
the misinfo worked.

S&F

keep denying ignorance

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

This is not true either. Way back when I was in high school street names started to change in the inner city, this was something we talked about in our civics classes and those conversations expanded to the monuments that are still being fought over.

Again with the missing of the point. YOU personally, and others, who seem to be super vocal about all this, don't have a resume to back up your outrage, just the current knee jerk reactions the MSM has provided you with. That is my point. The reason not many heard about it back then is it wasn't very popular, and the MSM didn't tell you to care back then.

The dog whistle blew, and you answered.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
I guess the OP didn't go as far as reading the actual memo to see what the culprit of the cost really was.
the misinfo worked.

S&F

keep denying ignorance

I get the feeling you have some sort of point to make, but it's nowhere near clear enough to understand at this point.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You are the one that was unaware of the decades long fight to remove the monuments from the public, not me. You are the one being super vocal about this issue, not me. I didn't write this OP nor any of your other threads on the topic, you did. I'm just throwing my opinion in.

You are the triggered one.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I suppose pretending you don't get it is always an option as well. I hadn't thought of that angle, so you get kudos from me for original thinking.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Your logic is broken. I'm pretty sure I'm at zero threads written on the topic. How many for you?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Ah, so if you don't author the thread, your replies are empty, hollow, and meaningless. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What is your deal dude? You are clearly obsessed with this topic and you're blaming other people for it being an issue at all when you're the one that keeps bringing it to ATS. You want to write a thread and then have no one comment or argue with you?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Why are we destroying history period? What kind of stupidity is this? You know why you want to keep it around? So it never happens again as a constant reminder that these things happen. Why do you think Jews want to enshrine the death camps that killed them. SO PEOPLE NEVER FORGET. This is straight stupidity to be destroying history like this. Shall we destroy the great pyramids? They were built by slaves so they must offend someone.

GTFO
edit on 10-10-2017 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be interesting if the taxes you pay were directly based on which party you register with and with no deductions.

Register as a democrat you pay 40% of all income.
Register as a republican you pay 40% of all income.
Register as a libertarian you pay: 10% of all income.

I wonder how many would put their money where their mouth is or how the political game would change.

edit on 421031America/ChicagoTue, 10 Oct 2017 11:42:30 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join