It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of removing statues. Should the tearful left pay for this?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: DBCowboy

I wonder what the opposition was to adding Nat Turner monuments or how about even a little tiny placard in any of these public parks depicting how the South was built on the whipped backs of African slaves... people may have stopped voting to move a half version of history in that case. I guess half history is good enough for some people though.

You said people legislated statues to be torn down. I guess people can also legislate to stay uneducated.

Just because something is legislated does not make it good and right.

They also tried to have monuments added, ones that depicted the slaves and the slave rebellions.

Ignorant people aren't just the book-burners.

Ignorant people can also include the ones who refuse to read.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yep which is what I said in the first post.

However, the op responded by ignoring this history exists.

Which is very common in those who are hysterical over the idols or monuments whatever you want to call them.

I personally read history in books or a Kindle not on a stutue on the way to court.

But I get your point.

It's just that maybe you don't know there are hysterical statue supporters as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Binary thinkers...

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Heard a quote not too long ago that I think sums this up pretty well.

"you want a statue? Then win a f*****n war!"

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

The people who want to destroy the statues are in the same class of people that want to keep the statues without historical context.

Both groups actively desire to ignore the lessons that history can teach us.

In my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I agree. I just like to piss people off who are just playing the opposite hysterical card.

It's pretty dumb to vandalize public property and get hysterical over an object. However, if it's vulgar and needs context it should have it.

Keep the statues tell the story.

Like in Columbia where a gynecologist is memorialized for butchering black babies. That is a powerful story about how inhumane some people have been and let's not go back.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So what does this thread add to ATS?

'People who want statues removed are meanies and I hate them I hate them I hate them! Those crybabies! Waaaaaaa!'

I'm sure it will provide yet another outlet for the right to have a good public cry about how stupid everybody that isn't them is. But really? Has this thread really enriched anybodies lives? Does it have anything new to say about anything?

Or is it just yet more pointless clutter on the new topics tab?

That's a pretty funny joke about 'You want a statue? Win a fecking war then.' Worth dropping in to see that. Bravo.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When are they going to tear down the Democrat Party for their history of racism? And shouldn't they be burning everything that exists from one Robert Byrd, and anyone associated with him?

Shouldn't this go without saying as clearly there's a zero tolerance for historical "racism".

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I agree that those who are most in favor of having these statues removed should pony up a few dollars to have them removed. Or they could volunteer to assist with the removal process. Instead of paying $7000.00 to grow new grass, a handful of folks with rakes, some grass seed, and a bale of straw could do it for a couple hundred dollars.

They could possibly reduce the cost of their removal though:
- Melt them in place. Then change the signage to indicate the resulting amorphous bronze blob is some type of abstract artwork.
- Scrub all the confederate symbols and weld some arrows into the back of the statues. Maybe call it: "Custer didn't live long enough to learn his lesson.

The unfortunate bottom line with all this hoopla around scrubbing our society of any reference to Confederate symbols has caused more racial strife than the symbols themselves ever did. It's just another divide-and-conquer strategy to distract us from the real issues that plague our society.

-dex

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Almost as if the statues never seemed to pose a problem until the media told people they should be angry and remove them.

It seems the minority has spoken and since they are the squeaky wheel at this time, they will get the grease and the statues will indeed come down. And street names will be changed. And towns and counties will be renamed. And history books will be scrubbed of any offensive content.

Then we will all get to be told what should be removed next. I am amazed that most just aren't getting this.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Good luck with that.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Except this has been going on for years and years.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

So you can show me some of your posts from years back where you can show how these statues upset you?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

So you can show me some of your posts from years back where you can show how these statues upset you?

Would she have to provide a personal post to prove the debate has been going in for years or did you just build a strawman?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'm not upset, nor have I been. I would have thought you'd be above this ignorant and petty narrative of overly emotional SJW's but I guess not and in fact you seem to be getting more and more emotional with each thread you post lately.

In my last post, I wasn't even referring to myself but the entire issue of the giant participation trophies which should have been plainly obvious. Maybe your own tears were making it difficult to read?

It actually amazes me that people will make light of how the presence of these monuments to losers makes people feel while they protest, post vitriol all over the internet and even commit violence over their removal... I mean they're just statues right? I can't believe I ever learned a thing about slavery or the Civil War without a park to walk through that had enormous monuments glorifying the enslavement of my classmates ancestors.

As for my claim... pardon the source (it came up in top 5 returns) but you can fact check it and it's actually a decent article.

Think Progress

The monument stood in the middle of downtown New Orleans until 1989, when it was removed for street construction. By then, the New Orleans City Council preferred to warehouse the obelisk indefinitely; the city’s first black mayor, Dutch Morial, had unsuccessfully tried to remove it a decade earlier.

But Ku Klux Klan leader and former state representative David Duke used it as a rallying symbol, at one point marching around it shouting “white power” and “all the way with the KKK.” One of his supporters sued to force the city to put the monument back in place. As a result, in 1993, a federal judge ordered the city to put the obelisk back on display.

Seems you need to learn a little history. Ironic.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: network dude

Would she have to provide a personal post to prove the debate has been going in for years or did you just build a strawman?

Nope, but it would go a long way to discrediting my theory that this is a SJW movement and the one's pushing it, really never had a dog in this fight until the MSM told them to. How about you, you are quite the vocal adversary, lets see your past outrage.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Seems you need to learn a little history. Ironic.

So it's now Obelisk's that are racist? Holy #, what will it be next with you folks?

I hope by my last post to Luthier, you can pry a glimpse of sanity from what you read into my post. And I do apologize for my strength of opinion on this, but as most don't seem to grasp it, this is the beginning and not the end of this tirade from the asshole SJW brigade. My area is rife with civil war battlegrounds, and placards, and with the amount of butthurt crybabies sobbing all over a few statues, and now street names, will only lead to towns being renamed, counties being renamed, and battlefields being turned into parking lots. And if one of you turd burglars comes in and tries to tell me that will never happen, I'll save the post and make you look like the fool you are when this progresses to that point. (yes, you know who I'm talking to here)

ETA: And Kali, I hope everything is going well for you!
Remember, you are one of my favorite SJW's.
edit on 7-10-2017 by network dude because: added personal comment in hopes that cancer's ass is kicked to the curb.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I think there's a lot of price-gouging going on.

It doesn't cost that much to move something that small.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The point of my post was that this issue has been going on for decades, it isn't new. In many places the battle started before any monument was commissioned.

Also, you don't need to caveat anything just because I have cancer, though the sentiment is appreciated. Arguments help towards keeping my brain out of chemo fog plus I still enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

What does it mean to keep the statues 'without historical context'?

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join