It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of removing statues. Should the tearful left pay for this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: DBCowboy

What is your and ND's need to paint me in a way I'm clearly not?

It's just my opinion mind you, but if you are for tearing down statues, I am going to call you a book-burner.

QED

Personaly and from my experience I find the far right just as hysterical about the statue. For decades they tried to get the white supremacy plaque removed in New Orleans. Many people particularly professors 25 years ago tried to change the descriptions to he less offensive in public spaces. But no the hysterical response was that ruined history.

There are hundreds of examples of kkk Dixiecrats using this propaganda for identity politics. It's literally one of the first identity politics in America.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They ain't gotta burn books

They just remove them.

Hmmm Ironical.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Not at all. People are free to legislate book-burning.

It's easier to deny history than teach history anyway, skipping school was always easier than learning.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It's just my opinion mind you, but if you are for tearing down statues, I am going to call you a book-burner.

QED

Personaly and from my experience I find the far right just as hysterical about the statue. For decades they tried to get the white supremacy plaque removed in New Orleans. Many people particularly professors 25 years ago tried to change the descriptions to he less offensive in public spaces. But no the hysterical response was that ruined history.

There are hundreds of examples of kkk Dixiecrats using this propaganda for identity politics. It's literally one of the first identity politics in America.

History is history. We can learn often more from the bad representation of our past than we can the good parts.

Not going to change my opinion on this issue.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

a reply to: network dude

How is history out of view in a museum?

Henry III's statue was destroyed.

That's why we don't know who won the American Revolution. Some dude named Jorge Worcestershire or something.

Careful, there are quite a few people who graduate from school completely ignorant of that period in history.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

258k to remove a statue?

How is that even possible?

Sounds like some inflated bull# to me

You have to have all the stamps and inspections.

Once again the real issue conservatives should be talking about is overshadowed by identity politics.

Do you stand with the statues on team A

OR

Hook up your pickup and rip them down next spring break with a few Corona?

Tired of having to pick an idiot squad or the opposite idiot squad.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

He was the worst kind of racist in my opinion. He kept his father in laws slaves despite a Last Will that was supposed to free them. He kept them because he "knew what was best for them". He believed they were barely a step above gorillas and that slavery had saved them savagery. He thought it was a kindness to keep them and only whipped them those few times...

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

QED

History is history. We can learn often more from the bad representation of our past than we can the good parts.

Not going to change my opinion on this issue.

It's unfortunate to have to pick a team.

Personaly I believe society has a right to come together and make decisions. But it prevents me from getting stars since I rarely have a team to support.

It's better than being let down I suppose.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't know if that's accurate but heroes get different records than the rest of us.

He was a man of inner conflict and he made decisions based on the region and economics, I think he also had a feeling the network wasn't in place to free slaves without destroying the economy.

I don't agree with his views but it was a long time ago. He knew keeping slaves was a mistake for the civil war. Maybe not as a saviour.

But personally I think "the worst kind" of racists did things like the nazis did to blacks. Much of it after the civil war.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Personaly I believe society has a right to come together and make decisions. But it prevents me from getting stars since I rarely have a team to support.

Yes, society does often come together and make decisions. They just aren't always the right decisions.

We use history to remind us of that.

If we aren't too busy destroying it.

But I will compromise on this issue.

Lets see if you'll agree with me.

Instead of tearing down statues and monuments, erect a monument and a plaque explaining the evils or the significance of the original statue.

Educate people instead of destroying an educational opportunity.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Yes, society does often come together and make decisions. They just aren't always the right decisions.

We use history to remind us of that.

If we aren't too busy destroying it.

But I will compromise on this issue.

Lets see if you'll agree with me.

Instead of tearing down statues and monuments, erect a monument and a plaque explaining the evils or the significance of the original statue.

I have been saying from the beginning to keep the statues and tell the truth of the story is the better solution. If a kkk Dixiecrat mayor had the statue put up in front of the courthouse stick a plaque on that says so.

People forget racism is a political tool. The person using it doesn't even have to be racist. It's just a cheap device.

Look at milo.
edit on 6-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Using that same logic, only the people that want these statues should be paying for their upkeep.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'd be okay with that, but only if the new monument was 10 times bigger - and we ALL pay for it to be erected.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

See?

It's always better to read a book and be critical of it than simply burning it.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I'd be okay with that, but only if the new monument was 10 times bigger - and we ALL pay for it to be erected.

Isn't agreement wonderful!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yes. I literally said this in my first post. It just rubs some people the wrong way that the history of some of these monuments had political reasons.

This is literally the identity politics plan, and it started with white supramacists.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I wonder what the opposition was to adding Nat Turner monuments or how about even a little tiny placard in any of these public parks depicting how the South was built on the whipped backs of African slaves... people may have stopped voting to move a half version of history in that case. I guess half history is good enough for some people though.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Yes. I literally said this in my first post. It just rubs some people the wrong way that the history of some of these monuments had political reasons.

This is literally the identity politics plan, and it started with white supramacists.

It symbolizes something. Something we should be reminded of daily.

Not something that should be torn down, ignored.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I wonder what the opposition was to adding Nat Turner monuments or how about even a little tiny placard in any of these public parks depicting how the South was built on the whipped backs of African slaves... people may have stopped voting to move a half version of history in that case. I guess half history is good enough for some people though.

You said people legislated statues to be torn down. I guess people can also legislate to stay uneducated.

Just because something is legislated does not make it good and right.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

You said people legislated statues to be torn down. I guess people can also legislate to stay uneducated.

Just because something is legislated does not make it good and right.

They also tried to have monuments added, ones that depicted the slaves and the slave rebellions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join