It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of removing statues. Should the tearful left pay for this?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: network dude

Why not just change the plaque to say "an army of poor white men was created by aristocrats to preserve racism in America"

Or these losers of the civil war had terrible ideas...

Let's not pretend the intent of the majority of these statues erected during reconstruction and the civil rights Era were for the sake of artistic expression.

LOL, you can make whatever signs you like, once you move the statues to a nice place. And if you like, you can even make up your own version of history, like saying the majority of southerners had plantations and slaves, were wildly wealthy, and had a slight chubby for oppressing black folks, unlike in the north, where black folks were elevated to positions of high authority and grandeur.

Personally I think keeping them in plain site and telling the truth in the description is more powerful but you can follow whatever identity politics you feel necessary, don't forget your sign...

I get your point. All the statues down here have placards talking all about how awesome slavery was, how the "darkies" aren't really "people" and how we all owned plantations. Bill Engvall has your sign.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

a reply to: RomeByFire

I think your hubris is overtaking you speech. Remember, you, the left, have a moral obligation to help the poor grass eaters on the right be able to remember things, so statues in museums might be our last hope for keeping our history "memorable". I mean, nobody on the right has "degrees" whatever those are, and none of us are smart enough to just "remember" stuff, that's for, you know, sooper smart folks, like you and your side.

Don't skip out now, you opened the can, keep track of your worms.

I'm a registered Republican

Thanks for calling me sooper smart. I predicted Blade Runner: 2049 to a T and I got a 14 on my SAT's.

I'm not trying to brag... but I'm pretty smart. I once counted to eleven
edit on 6-10-2017 by RomeByFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Why not just change the plaque to say "an army of poor white men was created by aristocrats to preserve racism in America"

Or these losers of the civil war had terrible ideas...

Let's not pretend the intent of the majority of these statues erected during reconstruction and the civil rights Era were for the sake of artistic expression.

LOL, you can make whatever signs you like, once you move the statues to a nice place. And if you like, you can even make up your own version of history, like saying the majority of southerners had plantations and slaves, were wildly wealthy, and had a slight chubby for oppressing black folks, unlike in the north, where black folks were elevated to positions of high authority and grandeur.

Personally I think keeping them in plain site and telling the truth in the description is more powerful but you can follow whatever identity politics you feel necessary, don't forget your sign...

I get your point. All the statues down here have placards talking all about how awesome slavery was, how the "darkies" aren't really "people" and how we all owned plantations. Bill Engvall has your sign.

No,
I think a society doesn't consider the feelings of 50 percent of it population like in Columbia, SC or New Orleans has a problem. Maybe y'all should have had a conversation 100 years ago.

But having lived in Texas, Oaklahoma, and North and South Carolina I hold by my many statement. I never said all.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Why do you think it's the "left" ?

Ate you saying the right doesn't care that the racists statues were put up in defiance of black freedom?

The conservatives in the north don't really care about the statues, except when the liberals college kids defile them without the proper method and message.

those of us on the "right" down here, just aren't smart enough to see through the veil of racism pulled over the statues, we are still bobbling around thinking they have something to do with the history of the land here, and some of the battles that were had on the land here. We really need some liberal asswipes to come set us straight.

If you knew anything about history you would know the history that follows the statues in many cases, including why they were put up and what the people who put then up said.

Yea, I guess this one says the same thing, just in a different way.

"THE CONFEDERATE STATUE The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where his comrades fell during the War Between the States. The names of those Alexandrians who died in service for the Confederacy are inscribed on the base of the statue. The title of the sculpture is “Appomattox” by M. Casper Buberl.

en.wikipedia.org...(statue)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Where are the monuments to the underground railroad? To the abolitionists?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Where are the monuments to the underground railroad? To the abolitionists?

In museums, where they belong according to your side.

ETA: or you could go to the sites themselves, where the history is kept alive.
www.nps.gov...

As long as you don't get "triggered".
edit on 6-10-2017 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Ate you saying the right doesn't care that the racists statues were put up in defiance of black freedom?

The conservatives in the north don't really care about the statues, except when the liberals college kids defile them without the proper method and message.

those of us on the "right" down here, just aren't smart enough to see through the veil of racism pulled over the statues, we are still bobbling around thinking they have something to do with the history of the land here, and some of the battles that were had on the land here. We really need some liberal asswipes to come set us straight.

If you knew anything about history you would know the history that follows the statues in many cases, including why they were put up and what the people who put then up said.

"THE CONFEDERATE STATUE The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where his comrades fell during the War Between the States. The names of those Alexandrians who died in service for the Confederacy are inscribed on the base of the statue. The title of the sculpture is “Appomattox” by M. Casper Buberl.

And I guess you found a description I agree with..

The question is how many could we compare in a match of compare the history.

Particularly around judicial and city hall locations as well as universities.

Wonder why so many put up in rebellion with clear statements from the politicians of the time?

I will say however it doesn't need to be in public. It should be on a battleground yes, if the location is not a battleground but has become the main entrance to a university it's worth a conversation.

If you want to hysterically defend the memorial of soldiers fighting on the wrong side of history without admitting there are conversations that need to take place about the reality of the situation today and at the time then I don't think your a productive social advisor.
edit on 6-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

And I guess you found a description I agree with..

The question is how many could we compare in a match of compare the history.

Particularly around judicial and city hall locations as well as universities.

Wonder why so many put up in rebellion with clear statements from the politicians of the time?

do you mean, why were so many statues erected about 100 years after the end of the civil war, yet the reason they were erected was to "further oppress the black man"? Yea, I didn't like math either.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

I think your hubris is overtaking you speech. Remember, you, the left, have a moral obligation to help the poor grass eaters on the right be able to remember things, so statues in museums might be our last hope for keeping our history "memorable". I mean, nobody on the right has "degrees" whatever those are, and none of us are smart enough to just "remember" stuff, that's for, you know, sooper smart folks, like you and your side.

Thanks for calling me sooper smart. I predicted Blade Runner: 2049 to a T and I got a 14 on my SAT's.

Sorry, if you are a republican (bwahahaha) then you are just as dumb as the rest of us. You just choose to hang around the smart kids table, hoping nobody asks you anything difficult. But from your post history, you aren't a very good one, so there is hope.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's funny considering the only cries for book burnings recently have come from the right.

It's funny how we learned so much history without monuments. I mean... there aren't pyramids everywhere or statues of neanderthals. That all must be fake news.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Yeah I mean when the south finally was able to rebuild itself after getting it's ass handed to it by the maniac Sherman they started putting up monuments and making speeches about white supremacy. The libs at the time and massive eugenics movement that came from preserved racism.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Without running out of fingers?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

That's funny considering the only cries for book burnings recently have come from the right.

It's funny how we learned so much history without monuments. I mean... there aren't pyramids everywhere or statues of neanderthals. That all must be fake news.

So you're for book burning because there are other books.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

So Robert E. Lees house should be enough then, right?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

What is your and ND's need to paint me in a way I'm clearly not?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Lee is a tough case. Again the descriptions make all the difference in the world.

Lee was a complicated man, and a proper description of his character would be a great way to have a conversation.

Lee was probably not a racist the same way others were. Particularly 100 years later when the kkk became big.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

What is your and ND's need to paint me in a way I'm clearly not?

It's just my opinion mind you, but if you are for tearing down statues, I am going to call you a book-burner.

QED

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Sorry, if you are a republican (bwahahaha) then you are just as dumb as the rest of us. You just choose to hang around the smart kids table, hoping nobody asks you anything difficult. But from your post history, you aren't a very good one, so there is hope.

I'm a human being. I'm a registered Republican because voted for Ron Paul.

Just wanted to point out your attempt at partisan discrediting, but hey, you seem like you're sooper smarter than us dummy head peons.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm for equal representation, I'm for moving, not destroying those monuments. They were put up and kept up to intimidate Black people. Black people used our democratic system to have them moved. Are you opposed to voting in municipal matters?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

258k to remove a statue?

How is that even possible?

Sounds like some inflated bull# to me

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join