It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: infolurker
originally posted by: SmilingROB
a reply to: ausername
Actually that is exactly what the ALt right wants you to believe. all or nothing.
Why not require permit FOR all guns. Allow every body who has a gun legal or not to register it and allow amnesty.
Require news gun owner to register. If you are stop carrying your gun and you have your permit off you go. If theirs a shooting in your area you would be asked to allow your gun to be inspected. if your clean no problem.
Or any other good suggestion would work BUT its not black and white there are lots of reasonable options which the right wing NRA rejects.
We do not need to change the second amendment. Simple laws to reasonable improve gun safety are what is needed
Won't fly... let me seriously explain why.
Registration has "always" led to "confiscation" and I mean always.
Once there is a registry, you are then given the option to turn them in or become an outlaw or get murdered in many cases.
* In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. This doesn't include the 30 million 'Uncle Joe' starved to death in the Ukraine.
* In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, leaving a populace unable to defend itself against the Gestapo and SS. Hundreds of thousands died as a result.
* China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. The total dead are said to be 2-3 million
* Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, 1-2 million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million at a bare minimum.
* Gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results:
Australia-wide, homicides went up 3.2 percent
Australia-wide, assaults went up 8.6 percent
Australia-wide, armed robberies went up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns.
It will never happen here? I bet the Aussies said that too.
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady DECREASE in armed robbery with firearms, that changed drastically upward in the first year after gun confiscation...since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late.
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind him of this history lesson.
With Guns...........We Are "Citizens".
Without Them........We Are "Subjects".
Do you believe that any of those fine men pictured would give a gun to man they knew was sick in the head?
Not really. That pesky comma. The two seem to be part of the same thought.
You can see this in England, where people with shotguns can just walk down the street laying pellets into anybody they want, wherein the police on the beat can't even come to help, they have to turn and run just like everybody else.
originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ketsuko
People are afraid.
They listen to and believe the horrors pushed by the MSM and certain segments of government.
The same government who is killing them also promises to protect them.
No wonder people are so screwed up.
originally posted by: elysiumfire
Just to put your fantasy in a perspective of reality. Since 1987 Britain has experienced just 3 mass shootings, resulting in the deaths of 46 people, with 41 non-fatal injuries. There were no mass shootings in Britain prior to 1987. In America, since 1988, there have been 86 mass shootings, resulting in the deaths of 643 people, with an additional 638 non-fatal injuries.
originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: DBCowboy
People don't think anymore. All they do is feel and pretend they had a deep thought.
originally posted by: ausername
I've very recently discovered and concluded there is absolutely no middle ground in the gun debate in this country, it's either one extreme or the other. One way or the other, all or nothing, no compromise. Everything is a slippery slope leading to a total gun grab.
Like so many issues in government in this country, you have to be on one side or the other, otherwise you're irrelevant and insignificant noise no one will hear.
That makes no sense. 93 out of 100 people in America get shot? Please clarify.
originally posted by: dougie6665
This thread among others is why this issue will never be agreed. Here is what I want, gun owners to be held to a high degree of responsibility. Crime committed with a gun, committed by your kid with a gun, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.