It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on healing cat bones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: opethPA

I take great care of all my rescue cats. I get alot of input from many experts including holistic doctors. They eat only fresh real food so that is probably why they don't get sick like other cats. They have alot of play areas and lots of love.

Your comments show true ignorance of the realities of truly caring for your pets yourself without relying on "veteranarians" and accepting their opinions as the final answer.

You might want to educate yourself about modern veterinarian medicine and its affects on legal policies and the reality of true pet care.

More people might rescue cats if they were given alternative info about cat care and their ability to provide a good home without a ton of expenses.

/disclaimer..
It,might seem,like I am being an a as I'm not , just so much and too much of my life is taken up with cats..lol..see,pics of me with LilBub in other thread..

Great..

I volunteer at the biggest rescue/shelter in my city also. I have 6 cats 3 of which are Folds and anyone with those knows the chronic health issue that comes with that due to genetic disposition.

You wont listen to a vet but you will listen to holistic doctors, that pretty much tells the story right there..its not a what's best for your pet approach but rather a personal belief..nothing wrong with choice its just not something that the major of feline experts would agree with..both in conjunction , sure. Taking info from both sides, yes. Excluding vets and their knowledge/skill set, no.

How many of the feline issues I listed come from diet?

Lets take something not always fatal like Khaleesi..

What is the I know more than the vet and I don't need a vet cause they dont know pet health like a holistic doctor approach to treating that?

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Thing is that I've had our vet recommend to me that our cats could go without many of the usual vaccines because they were indoor only. Rabies is always a must, but some of the others aren't as big a necessity for an indoor cat.

However, the ragdoll will be different because we plan to see if we can leash train him. Our last one would very much have loved to go outdoors, but he had no sense of self-preservation. The only solution to that I can see is to walk the cat like you would a dog, and that means the full complement of shots.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Hey, my opinion is based on my experiences and yours is based on yours. Goes for everything, especiallly politics.

My cats are rescues-some from rescues we helped to shut down because they were run so poorly by the vets. Tampa 5 years ago-finally fired everyone at the compound and took it private. Also, volunteered at several others.

Vets who I know that are honest ,a couple friends from high school, even admitted that indoor aimals and those not exposed to the wild don't need even rabies shots. If you don't expose your pets to other possibly ill animals yours don't need the shots. I don't think you realize how political so many laws are.

Calm down. I think you are confusing alot of issues with some really emotional reponses-sometimes, you might learn if you open your ears.

I never said I wouldn't listen to a vet but I sure would do my own homework and get many opinions. You might think about that before responding.

Your post is almost illegible because I think you are so charged. I am glad anytime I meet another rescuer but you do seem a bit out there and self-righteous.
edit on 6-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't know your situation but alot of cat owners are building these like outdoor, huge type cages fenced high and/or with fenced ceilings so their cats get outdoor experiences without the chance of running away or exposure to other animals. I've wanted to build one for a long time.

I had a cat that I walked on a leash and people really laughed at me. I was in Minnesota at the time so the climate kept me from doing it for about half of the year. But he loved it. I miss him terribly-a really smart and fun cat.

Since the horror of the recent kitty who died from cancer at the injection spot, I feel vets simply do not tell owners of that possibility and of course, it has upset me and my family since. Please think about it some more.
edit on 6-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Amputate or operate. Your cheapskate approach is causing your pet a lot of pain. It's never going to get better.

Do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Lurker1

I'd hardly consider my a cheapskate but neither am I rolling in dough. If splint and cast show signs of it healing,great. If not I will reevaluate the situation.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

I'd hardly consider my a cheapskate but neither am I rolling in dough. If splint and cast show signs of it healing,great. If not I will reevaluate the situation.

Yeah, reevaluate a shattered bone. Riiight.

JHC.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

A shotgun slug is not that expensive.

If the animal was shot, resulting in bone fractures... Not a good thing at all. Must be painful.
edit on 6-10-2017 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yeah, reevaluate a shattered bone. Riiight.

Yep. I shattered my femur when I was 17, lot more pieces that his and it grew back together.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

He is on pain medication. I take him back to the vet first thing in the morning.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I am nervously waiting for our visit to the vet this morning.Hopefully the leg will show some signs of improvement, maybe a few days is not enough time.

He really does not seem to be in pain right now with the splint and cast and obviously the pain meds.

BUT if it does not show signs of improving or even worsening, and amputation is the only viable option, (unless it is priced up there near corrective surgery) I have a question. I will put it to the vet as well but...

The vet wanted to cut the leg off at the shoulder. I wonder about cutting it just above the injury, leaving the shoulder and upper leg. Would that be worse than losing the entire leg for some reason?

Just thinking of the possibility of some sort of prosthetic lower leg/paw.

Again thanks for the advice, especially the advice I did not want.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
was a good check up. swelling is down so needed a new cast and temp is down to normal from 104.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Thanks. yeah he can drink milk. I have thought about a second opinion. Yeah she wants to cut it off at the shoulder. I almost got sick when she said that. And yeah a limp will way better than a cat on 3 legs. He is restricted to the front porch for now, cat jail. no going outside

Seems extreme to me, and that's as a "vet tech" (think a nurse for animals, that can do lab work, too), in the Army, way back when! Not a veterinarian, but still. Seems the least harm one can do would be the best. Any improvement so far?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

If the bones are shattered, depending on how bad that is, there is also the possibility of random fragments constantly working their way out too even after whatever healing takes place. The limb might also be structurally compromised to the point where it might be worse than just not having it.

That is a possibility, too! Hence, the second opinion, and perhaps asking for details, and a good look at the x-rays. Any good vet would offer that, I'd think, for something so drastic. At the shoulder, though, no chance even for a limp, or to attach something artificial, to aid in movement.

As someone who loves cats, this really bothers me, thinking of this poor thing, so injured from some clown with a BB gun and no decency. No matter what, this cat will not be the same.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1

Amputate or operate. Your cheapskate approach is causing your pet a lot of pain. It's never going to get better.

Do the right thing.

A but uncalled for, don't you think? Not everyone has thousands of dollars lying around for expensive treatments for a pet. Plus, its not certain that the leg won't heal, either. It might, as people have had such injuries that did, without expensive treatments.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: Lurker1

Do the right thing.

A but uncalled for, don't you think? Not everyone has thousands of dollars lying around for expensive treatments for a pet. Plus, its not certain that the leg won't heal, either. It might, as people have had such injuries that did, without expensive treatments.

By all means, make the cat suffer for it.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Are you a vet? Or a cat? Nobody can know what a cat is feeling. Only an owner has any idea, and it is pretty obvious that Tinner cares about his cat, and is trying to do the best for it, within his means.

But hey, keep being cruel if it makes you feel special to hurt others.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
He seems to be doing good. The swelling has stayed down. He goes back to the vet again Saturday. Probably not another X-ray for another week. At that point if not looking good I will take the X-ray to MSU for an evaluation.

I think it is going to heal up though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join