It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antikythera shipwreck yields bronze arm – and hints at spectacular haul of statues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Marine archaeologists have recovered a bronze arm from an ancient shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera, where the remains of at least seven more priceless statues from the classical world are believed to lie buried.

Divers found the right arm, encrusted and stained green, under half a metre of sediment on the boulder-strewn slope where the ship and its cargo now rest. The huge vessel, perhaps 50m from bow to stern, was sailing from Asia Minor to Rome in 1BC when it foundered near the tiny island between Crete and the Peloponnese.

www.theguardian.com...

I wonder are there other things besides statues?
edit on 10/5/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Marine archaeologists have recovered a bronze arm from an ancient shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera, where the remains of at least seven more priceless statues from the classical world are believed to lie buried.

Divers found the right arm, encrusted and stained green, under half a metre of sediment on the boulder-strewn slope where the ship and its cargo now rest. The huge vessel, perhaps 50m from bow to stern, was sailing from Asia Minor to Rome in 1BC when it foundered near the tiny island between Crete and the Peloponnese.

www.theguardian.com...

I wonder are there other things besides statues?

That's interesting reading, The Guardian does always go the extra mile to discuss the history of the find, in an intersting and enquiring way, rather than straight out sensationalism.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm suprised the site hasnt been picked clean. I know they never disclosed the location, but leakers are a problem now a days in politics only!

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Fascinating article. I had no idea that was why most bronze statuary is recovered from the oceans, because most of them were recycled.

top topics

join