It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About the Vegas Killer... newest info

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: stonerwilliam

That statement seems to contradict another statement he made. Before he said when he got to his level (floor?), a woman told him of shooting and they went down and he hid in bushes outside.

edit:

The article seems to be edited. Some of what I read is missing and/or changed a bit. The man seems questionable now.

Some are going to believe it, simply because they want to.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Here is the door with the service cart in front of it:

Here is a floor plan I found that shows that door and the main entry door:

I am not sure about any other entrances based on what I have seen.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
Oh. According to CBS the note was calculations about his aim and maximizing damage.
The note left in hotel room by Paddock

Officer Dave Newton from the Las Vegas Police Department’s K-9 unit said he noticed a note on the shooter’s nightstand. He said the note was located near one of the windows that Paddock had smashed with a hammer to fire onto the crowd at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival. “I could see on it he had written the distance, the elevation he was on, the drop of what his bullet was gonna be for the crowd,” Newton said.

How do you use shooting calculations with a rifle? Are there little knobs for adjusting the speed of the bullet and other aspects of it?

I've seen snipers make adjustments to scopes like that. Did Paddock use scopes?

edit on 10/7/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon

originally posted by: auroraaus
Oh. According to CBS the note was calculations about his aim and maximizing damage.
The note left in hotel room by Paddock

How bizarre. Got to assume it's true till proven otherwise, though.

I'm surprised at the source, which I find a little noteworthy, but let's see how things pan out.

No, I don't think you have to/should assume it's true. I think it has to be proven true because it is evidence for the "prosecution" of the accused, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: Phage

Would a tracer round ignite any leaking jet fuel if he happened to actually breach one of the tanks? If so, that is possibly why he had those. It depends upon if he would actually need incendiary rounds to do that instead (which are not as easily purchased).

Reposting since I didn't find an answer yet.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I suppose a tracer could ignite kerosene.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

To do the calculations you néed to know a number of fairly complex physics calculations, plus you need detailed data on the cartridge loading (i.e. energy, etc). He wouldn't have this data unless he loaded the ammo himself.

WRONG

Most ammunition manufacturers will give ballistics data for their rounds

ie Caliber 5.56mm weight 62 grains velocity 3200 ft per second +/- 50 feet per second

There are number of ballistics calculator apps for Ipads or smart phones to calculate bullet drop and point of impact

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I ask because he did have 1000 of those he did not use. And the fact the jet fuel tanks were hit, it is plausible he tried to penetrate them to cause a breach and fuel leakage. Then use the tracers in a feeble attempt at igniting that leaked fuel. In addition, if the fuel did leak, he would get even more panic of people running back into his lie of fire towards the hotel.

Either that, or he had planned to put one or two tracers near the end of each mag to indicate it was about to run out. That keeps a round in the chamber when switching to a new mag.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

For instance he was a pilot, owned two aircraft...

His license was revoked. Why?

Medical reasons Failed physical for high blood pressure which is why was prescribed Valium to reduce anxiety

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

I'm pretty sure that's what he said. No need to do the calcs yourself unless you're hand loading.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
No, I don't think you have to/should assume it's true. I think it has to be proven true because it is evidence for the "prosecution" of the accused, so to speak.

Well, it's from a police officer who got into Paddock's room, so he has a bit of credibility. But I find it odd that a dog-handler is leaking evidence to the media, rather than it coming out in an announcement from the lead investigation officers. So yes, it's a little suspicious. We shall see.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I ask because he did have 1000 of those he did not use. And the fact the jet fuel tanks were hit, it is plausible he tried to penetrate them to cause a breach and fuel leakage. Then use the tracers in a feeble attempt at igniting that leaked fuel. In addition, if the fuel did leak, he would get even more panic of people running back into his lie of fire towards the hotel.

To penetrate steel tanks at that range would have needed Armor piercing ammunition in at least 7.62 mm (308) caliber

Most likely would have needed .50 BMG (12.7 x 99 mm) and specialized Armor piercing incendiary ammunition to
puncture tanks and set fire to fuel

Same thing if firing at JANET aircraft in hangers

Paddock had resources to buy such a weapon chambered for 50 BMG (which start at 3K for single shot to 10K for Barrett
Semi auto with 10 round mags)

Authorities found only 2 dings in tanks probably from stay rounds

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Sorry, but you are incorrect. I get that! That's not what I'm talking about. Sure the box has info on it, but it doesn't give you things like ballistic coeffient (which you need to calculate drop).

I'm talking about actual bullet drop calculations...manually.

Besides, why would you even try to do it manually when you can get the information 1,000 times faster just by looking it up? It's not like he was taking a 1,500 meter shot. He was taking a 330m shot(s), and drop is around 17.5 inches.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

To penetrate steel tanks at that range would have needed Armor piercing ammunition in at least 7.62 mm (308) caliber

Most likely would have needed .50 BMG (12.7 x 99 mm) and specialized Armor piercing incendiary ammunition to
puncture tanks and set fire to fuel

Same thing if firing at JANET aircraft in hangers

Paddock had resources to buy such a weapon chambered for 50 BMG (which start at 3K for single shot to 10K for Barrett
Semi auto with 10 round mags)

Authorities found only 2 dings in tanks probably from stay rounds

Oh, I agree it is a near impossibility. But, the question is did he know that? Just speculating on why he would even consider buying 1000 rounds of tracers that if used would immediately display his location. Again, a feeble attempt as I stated.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

ammunition catalog from Nammo (Norwegian manufacture) for number of NATO standard calibers with performance
date (penetration ) at various ranges

www.nammo.com...

link   
double post
edit on 7-10-2017 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

link   

Did Paddock use scopes?

No one uses scopes at that rate of fire. You can but it negates the purpose of a scope. Pinpoint accuracy goes out the door at that rate of fire.

EDIT: There is a picture of a rifle in one of the pics posted in this thread which shows a scope mounted and it looks like a 5X scope which is way more magnification than he would need at 300M. So he apparently had scopes but as I mentioned in my initial post a scope is irrelevant at the rate of fire he has sustained.
edit on 7-10-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

There's no defense for the accused. Keep that in mind.

The burden of proof is on anyone 'prosecuting' this case via the media (since there will never be anyone prosecuting it in a criminal court).

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I would say it's unlikely. Don't try this at home, but I've seen a guy throw a lit cigarette into a bucket of kerosene (JP-4) and it didn't ignite. Threw a lit match into the same bucket to doubly prove the point. (he wasn't as confident about the match, but it went out too). This was on a bet about the flammability or kerosene and what would happen. If you hold a match to kerosene it will ignite, but that is maintaining a flame for long enough to ignite the vapor. A bullet is moving much too fast, the kerosene extinguishes the fire before the heat can build.

ETA...it's not actually the liquid that burns anyway, it's a very thin layer of heated vapor above the liquid which burns.

In any case, he probably didn't know any of this and just figured he could launch a round into the tanks and create a giant conflagration...just like they show in the movies. Doesn't happen in real life, just like car gas tanks don't blow up and gasoline is way more flammable than kerosene.

edit on 10/7/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

ammunition catalog from Nammo (Norwegian manufacture) for number of NATO standard calibers with performance
date (penetration ) at various ranges

www.nammo.com...

Again, I am not disagreeing with you, just trying to speculate on why he might have bought the tracers. I'm sure he was not thinking straight in his mind, after all he just killed and wounded innocent people! If its not possible, fine, but the question is did he know that.

That is my point. If the fuel could not be ignited that way, that theory is out completely as a flight of fancy. With the need for more powerful ammo (which we still have not had a full list of all the rifles and calibers he did have there) to penetrate the tanks, if he didn't have any, that part also nixes the theory as well.

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join