It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should we do about fake posters???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   
OK,

I do not mean to demean or put down anyone here...

But what are we supposed to do about posters who are obvious fakes... that is, people who post one topic that is either silly or inflammatory, then never post again? I think you all know what types I'm thinking about.

I feel horrible bringing this up, because it IS NOT my right to condemn anyone else as being 'unserious' or 'silly', yet, I can't help but feel that many people are here simply to discredit the board.

If we don't delete their one time jokes the board looks bad to outside viewers, yet, if we DO (as a group) put these folks down we seem like we're badgering or censoring them...

I only ask because I called someone an obvious 'Troll' tonight.. and wonder if I overstepped my bounds and blew it....

[Edited on 30-6-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think the ATS Insect Repellent is a good idea, but it is difficult to determine which pests ought to be subject to extermination.

Some people would want to exterminate republicans or democrats.

Some people would define some posts as stupid and purposeless, while others would find a gem (or germ) of truth in them.

There are a few people posting things to take the piss out of conspiracy theorists, and a few more taking the bait.

I don't know what job the Moderators do, they can't be everywhere at once (or can they?)

Anarchy rules. Bring in John Ashcroft.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
if you get a topic on the Lewinsky Scandal, for example, in War on Iraq, N.Korea, either move or delete it.

when posts in a topic break down to personal flames and stuff, then warn the posters via an intopic post, or u2u, then warn them, then finally ban them.

repeats of my incident yesterday aren't needed, needless attacks and stuff, i know i played my share of BS, and regret it. i, at the time, didn't have the time, nor patience to address the situation the other way.

i think also, busting up people who sign up with four or five different screennames, and using one of them, should be warned, and choose the one they want to use.

for people who troll, i think a three strike system would work, if someone is trolling, report it to a mod, then have the situation laid out and analyzed, if the person was found to be trolling, then warn them, the third time gets a ban. this five warn til ban system is too lenient for some situations, in some it is also to harsh, it depends on the situation.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I admit that I do take the bait...

..and also that an apparent 'joke' post can have some hidden truth or gem in it..

But, still, a lot of boards here seem to be filling up with 'discreditors' lately. I mean, really, there are a few threads in each section I could name, but think it isn't my place to..

Yes, I know the admins do what they can, and do a good job at that, but, still, I feel frustrated when 50% of new threads are just Troll bait.

..and, no, I know I'm not the best poster here, nor would I claim to be... So, I'm not complaining about 'poor quality' threads, just those that are just written by those who should be hanging out with rumplestilskin.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:39 AM
link   
To be honest, I think it's all the 'nature of the beast' so to speak. I have been to alot of big boards and seen the same thing. One may try to control 'aspects' of it but all-in-all, alot of them let it go.

I came here cause I found alot of topics being discussed with very little 'trolling' problems. per se'. In the short time I have been here, I have come to respect the many posters here and respect their views.....despite my own views or opinions. Its basically a matter of respect. Even with the 'heated' topics, and they can get heated verbally, I find that there is still, on the most part, a hidden type of understanding and respect by all. Bottom line, I think many here understand that an opinion is just that.

I do agree that perhaps a 'three strike rule' should be implemented to help curb 'trolling' or 'discreditors' though with the later and with the nature of the topics on ATS, 'discrediting, to a degree or so, is expected. I think the real matter at hand is preventing a member who has been 'banned' from gaining access by other methods. You may have a person get banned and return with 2,3 or 4 accounts or more or just return with a different account name.

This is one of the best site's I have had the pleasure to come to that actually tries to 'curb' this kinda stuff though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Good points, Seeker, P-C and MA,

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that 'debunkers' and 'discreditors' were the same thing. On a site like this, we need thoughtfull debunkers who can raise the level of the debate on controversial subjects.

By 'discreditors', I meant people who come in and say, "I sawen UFOOS wehn ida be drinkin ma harda booze an' complanin 'bout da government and how's it's puttin compuuto chips in ma's head. Dangit boys, I dunno bout you, but ima frade bout da loch nessa monsto getten some chemtrails on my front lawn."

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Good points, Seeker, P-C and MA,

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that 'debunkers' and 'discreditors' were the same thing. On a site like this, we need thoughtfull debunkers who can raise the level of the debate on controversial subjects.

By 'discreditors', I meant people who come in and say, "I sawen UFOOS wehn ida be drinkin ma harda booze an' complanin 'bout da government and how's it's puttin compuuto chips in ma's head. Dangit boys, I dunno bout you, but ima frade bout da loch nessa monsto getten some chemtrails on my front lawn."

No prob...I knew what you were eluding to and should hopefully bring some good discussion on this topic.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Hey what are moderators for ???
Just report the member and the URL of the post and he/she will be dealt with.

But THIS thread is also rubbish, since we assigned moderators to individual forums.
This should have been posted in the chit chat forum, not in the introduction forum...

Let the moderators, super-moderators and admins do the discussion about trolls, fakers and flamers...

Thank you

top topics

join