It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Countries With More Firearm-Related Deaths Than The U.S.A.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

That 33000 number is wildly misrepresenting gun crime. HOMICIDES by gun 11,900, the rest was probably suicide or accidental etc.

Please put in accurate numbers when debating. It continues to confuse the ignorant community.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Problem with looking at statistics is most people never look below the surface number, I remember back before the brady bill this god awful number got pushed as how many kids die each year due to fire arms.

Once someone dug a bit they found out this "study" covered new born to 21 yrs old, with the vast majority coming from the 16-21 range.

Do not have a link for what is coming so do not ask, saw it in passing and am putting the numbers up from memory alone.

roughly;
65% are suicides

15% law enforcement

17% due to criminal activity

3% accidental discharge

So once you rule out suicide our numbers that big number everyone freaks over shrinks quite a bit.

Why rule out suicides, easy it is a personal decision to harm oneself and should not be thrown into the same conversation as a maniac shooting up a concert.

If you remove justified law enforcement shootings as well, that number shrinks roughly 80%.

but folks will always cherry pick the data that works for their preferred political team.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: WizardVanWizard
What does the U.S. have in common with these countries?

Hmm

Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.

I think the better question is, how can the US have more in common with that country

I dunno. Last time the Japanese went around shooting people, they got nuked. Twice!

Quite the deterrent.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Sounds like it gave you an acute case of Nihilism. I'm glad it passed safely. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
In response to WizardvanWizard's statement," What does the US have in common with these countries?" It would have to say, "Bad economy".

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: WizardVanWizard

I think people are referring more to this-

As for Japan, it has a culture much higher on the shame side of the spectrum than the guilt one - hence more suicides than murders.

When it comes to that, there is a large movement trying to make the US more of a shame society than a guilt one; in which doing what is expected of you by your society is more important that doing what *you* think is right individually.
There is less emphasis upon individualism, more on collectivism, interdependence and duty to community.

This is evident in the widening split in the population.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree, at least in part. One of the major issues, in my eyes, is that when many bring up ways to lower violence they focus solely on legislated gun control. When that is predictably shot down, the response tends to be that those who rejected it are superfans of violence.

I think there are ways that we could decrease violence, including events where guns are used, without touching the constitution at all. The fact that so few gun control advocates are even remotely willing to discuss the topic outside of essentially changing the constitution.. absolutely smacks of an agenda.

Because of this narrow focus and obsession, pro-2nd people are almost on autopilot in their responses.

I'm a big fan of ideas like examining our mental health as a nation, and the medications we use for it. Just, without needlessly involving the constitution. I'm also willing to consider ideas like having gun classes as standard education curriculum. Just, without needlessly involving the constitution.

Legislative measures, whether they are gun control or the "war on drugs," absolutely do not work in their intended function. What they are very effective at, is determining the shape and tone of the market.

It seems that because some people believe they can't easily access something in their daily lives that it must be the same for everyone else. This erroneous assumption is the basis for a lot of this type of discussion, but it doesn't work that way. In fact, by driving the market into the underground, we remove all ability to monitor it as a society, drive profits through the roof, foster a dangerous sense of false security, and enable the rise of power structures that have no connection or responsibility to the community at large.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Isn't America supposed to be better than these countries? Isn't America a first world country?

What you just did was show that America has gun violence the same as third/second world countries.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I think people are referring more to this-

As for Japan, it has a culture much higher on the shame side of the spectrum than the guilt one - hence more suicides than murders.

When it comes to that, there is a large movement trying to make the US more of a shame society than a guilt one; in which doing what is expected of you by your society is more important that doing what *you* think is right individually.
There is less emphasis upon individualism, more on collectivism, interdependence and duty to community.

This is evident in the widening split in the population.

The most frightening part about that graph is the 'others'.

Wtf did all those other people use to kill people?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Scary isn't it? Apparently, people will kill with other stuff if a gun isn't available. Who'd'a thunk it?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

The largest single category after firearms and knives will be hands, fists and feet. You can find that data here.

The most notable number in there is that 'personal weapons' are used more than twice as often as any kind of rifle. I suppose we need to ban fists and feet while we're at it.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

The largest single category after firearms and knives will be hands, fists and feet. You can find that data here.

The most notable number in there is that 'personal weapons' are used more than twice as often as any kind of rifle. I suppose we need to ban fists and feet while we're at it.

But fists and feet weren't designed to kill, they argue. Like anyone who was beaten to death gives a #.

Cars weren't designed to kill yet we somehow kill more people with them every year than we do with guns. On accident.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

You're preaching to the choir bro...

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: SaturnFX

Japan and the US are apples and oranges.

The culture and sociology of the two are vastly different.

Yep, time to bridge that gap then and be more like them

If you look at the culture in Japan, everyone is polite, theft isn't an issue, the entire culture is based on that kind of mentality. It would be amazing if the US could mimic that. But think realistically for a second, do you see that as an option?

For the entire nation at once to become polite? naa..but a community can in a few months strive for more cohesiveness, define borders of respect, etc...and community by community, thats how change happens. may take a couple decades, but its achievable to a certain degree.

Someone mentioned also that they are basically just one race...that doesn't matter, but one culture is. If you go move to Japan, you go move to a place where you will adopt, for the most part, the japanese way of life. The issue is now people coming to America are often lugging their former place's culture with them....what does it mean to be American? hell if I know..its multicultured, but surely we can pick from the best traits of other cultures and sweep away the crap somehow.

We got our work cut out for us, thats for sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

What does the U.S. have in common with these countries? Does it matter?

Other than Swaziland, they're all in the Americas. Americans sure love handling our problems with guns, don't we?

That is what you were referring to, right?

No we don't.

Americans just LOVE handling all their problems with LAWS.

Law after Law on top of the LAW that already made it illegal to kill or harm another person.

Back to demagoguing black scary looking objects.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join