It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we living in Computer Simulation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
So if im reading this correctly the notion of creating a massive-scale simulation using classical computers is “impossible. Oh well suppose that blows Elon Musk's theory that we live in a simulation out the window
advances.sciencemag.org...

What about using a non classical computer like a quantum computer?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What if your the only one who is real in the simulation?
Everyone you know is just like non playable charters in a game they have no real consciousness.
Even this post I make is part of the simulation and I might not be real at all.

It might in actuality be 2250 ad and not 2017 and computers have got advanced enough to interface with the nervous system and create sense perception.

Perhaps you were chosen as young child by scientist to be hooked into this simulation to test how well it worked and your whole life is being used as research to improve the technology.

If these scientist decided to simulate the
World of 2017 just for you how would you be able to tell.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

2 Corinthians 5New International Version (NIV)
Awaiting the New Body
5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9 So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

The OP stated aliens couldn't stimulate a universe with modern computer architecture. I'm simply asking why he would assume they wouldn't be using advanced computers.

Member said, "--using classical computers--", you said "advanced".

I was musing that other dimensions don't need 'computers' as we describe them. Like trying to explain 'up' to a two D flatlander, though.

What I'm "on" about , indeed.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The argument for virtual reality goes something like this: If there is some race somewhere capable of simulating a universe, chance is that they will simulate many universes. Especially since computing power is assumed to increase exponentially you would eventually reach that point.

So if there are races somewhere capable of simulating many universes, the probability of living in a simulated universe is larger than living in a "real" universe (since there can technically exist many more simulated universes).

A counter to the probability argument: Since our universe is infinite, it contains infinite variations of you and me. Even within our own universe. If you travel long enough there's a limit to how many ways particles can interact, so in the end the pattern is repeated no matter how complicated. It is actually possible to estimate exactly how far you need to travel before you meet your exact copy. You would need to travel the diameter of our observable universe times 10^10^118. That's quite a large number, in face so large that it is impossible to write every 0, since there's not that many atoms in our observable universe.

Then in the next tier you even have infinite variations of universes with different properties, laws of physics etc. just adding to the layer of possible universes. So in the end there's just an endless mess where every possible reality will manifest again and again. At this point it don't matter to me at least, if you call it a simulation, mathematical structure, collection of information, hologram etc.

If anyone know how to travel to a slightly different variation of our universe, please PM me
Mine took some really bad turns lately and I don't like it anymore. Make it a universe where infants don't die for no reason.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The OP stated aliens couldn't stimulate a universe with modern computer architecture. I'm simply asking why he would assume they wouldn't be using advanced computers.

I was musing that other dimensions don't need 'computers' as we describe them. Like trying to explain 'up' to a two D flatlander, though.

You misunderstood, read again.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

10 PRINT "ARE WE IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

ARE WE IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?
ARE WE IN A COM
* BREAK IN 10

READY...

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: intrptr

You misunderstood, read again.

Ever seen 'advanced' races or their conveyances?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

10 PRINT "ARE WE IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

ARE WE IN A COM
* BREAK IN 10

READY...

Your infinite loop program had no breakpoint.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

For me it's easy. I am 100% sure we live on something describable as a Turing machine. I don't know if this simulation made by superintelligence or it's just is on some incomprehensible level. I see low Kolmogorov complexity in our universe. For example, we have a lot of things that are more than two. There are a lot of atomic particles of the certain type that are more than two with identical parameters. In the first time it's obvious but who can watch our universe without any sort of bias in thinking. Our universe is like a fractal. Our DNA could fit on CDdisk. But we differ from each other by 1,5MB max (floppy disk capacity). Powerful compression algorithm may cause phenomenas like telepathy between twins for example. If the twins differ slightly, it's something like the same code with a slight difference. This could cause mutual induction in their brains. For more I recommend people.idsia.ch...

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I think this has some truth. Though it's either a hidden side of science or lost and left only with fragments.

I always say this in cosmological or ontological philosophy but,

Knowledge is the key.

300k years ago homosapiens had the physical capabilities to work in Chevy plants. The didn't lack the ability to design space craft.

They just lacked the knowledge.

As a thought experiment let's say 1000 humans were brought aboard a space craft by ET's and taught from birth until 18 a different set of knowledge than terrestrial humans and then we're replaced into say Turkey.

Maybe just for fun like lab rats even to test the effects.

The ego of man prevents us to think we aren't the subjects of a greater intelligence.

Could current man expedite intelligent evolution in chimpanzee, teach their culture a dominating trait and genetically alter them and release into the wild?

Humans could be part of a never ending scale of greater intilegence. Hell god could be something at the end like in Aquinas for all I know.

Religion put a chip on the shoulder of science and the fight back from some of the science world has been to discredit some old ideas not always from fact but hypocriticaly from reaction.

Modern theoretical physics however makes me really examine some old stories. Particularly places like India.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Double
edit on 5-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

300k years ago homosapiens had the physical capabilities to work in Chevy plants. The didn't lack the ability to design space craft.

They just lacked the knowledge.

Good point. Ever hear of Koko the Gorilla?

As a thought experiment let's say 1000 humans were brought aboard a space craft by ET's and taught from birth until 18 a different set of knowledge than terrestrial humans and then we're replaced into say Turkey.

How about just a few random individuals. History is full of them. Take Tesla for instance; nearly single handedly invented current world electrical infrastructure.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Of course it's a simulation. Pointless discussion though. When people start looking for serial numbers on the moon, etc..

The nature of the simulation is the nature of reality. You won't find wires and chips and boards.. Its built in. Science calls them something else and we stop worrying about it.

The Big Bang is loading the information into the map. The information already exists. Input before output. The most misrepresented fact in the universe: the big bang was fed input information before releasing output information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join