It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes 20 week abortion ban.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: dawnstar

why is this an issue ?

seriously

if " you "have not realised " you " are preagnant after 5 months - then there are far more worrying issues than abortion

if people want to argue that 5months + abortion is ok - why not 6 , 7 or 8 ????

Ummm...hell...why not just wait until 9 months...have the baby...then crack it's head open and suck out the brains...

Think of the convenience...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I would argue that the political make-up of the SCOTUS matters concerning what laws will and will not be upheld.

It shouldn't, as all justices are supposed to be apolitical, but they're not, so it does. If Ginsberg is gone for whatever reason under Trump, you can bet that the replacement will be quite a bit more centrist or right than her, and we'll see all kinds of "unconstitutional" things reemerging in legislation.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Bluntone22

7 billion humans on the planet. Just because you can use the law of large numbers to make pregnancy look rare doesn't make it so.

But using numbers to show losing a baby is common is fine.. Got it.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: DupontDeux

In Denmark:

. A woman may also be granted an authorization to abort after 12 weeks if certain circumstances are proved to be present (such as poor socioeconomic condition of the woman; risk of birth defects to fetus; the pregnancy being the result of rape; mental health risk to mother).[2]

Abortion in Denmark

My point exactly - I think it would be far easier for conservative lawmakers (i.e. their constituency) to accept a wider range of post ban abortions. As it is, with abortion laws there in their opinion already is much too lenient, they will fight to limit any form of abortion.

To add perspective to (post ban) abortions in Denmark:

1)
Each post ban abortion must be especially approved by a special council.
2)
Abortions are NEVER granted past week 24
3)
Almost all late abortions is before week 20
4)
Denmark has one of *the* lowest abortion rates in the entire world (for comparison, the US abortion rate is about 60% higher than the Danish).

In Denmark at least the week 12 ban is a win for everyone.

edit on 4-10-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

From the source:

Pregnancy rates and abortions are both the lowest they've ever been since the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics began keeping track, according to a new federal report published today.

Statisticians analyzed the latest available data on rates of pregnancy, abortion and fetal loss (miscarriages) from 2010 to get a better picture of reproductive trends.

The new report found that in 2010, both the pregnancy rate and abortion rate fell to record lows since 1976. Miscarriages and abortions also evened out; of the pregnancies in 2010, 65% resulted in live births, 17% were miscarried and 18% ended in abortion.

One could argue that both pregnancy rate and miscarriage could be higher as it could happen without the mother's knowledge. However this is encouraging. Seems education is working to keep unwanted pregnancies down. This article is almost 2 years old but one can hope the trend continues.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I called you out for using a fallacy, not using numbers themselves.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Also proving how rare of a gift pregnancy really is.

Pregnancy? Or the actual birth of a human being?

Pregnancy? Not really much of a miracle.

Didn't call it a miracle, called it a gift.

People can decide if they like the gift or not

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

I'm totally fine with this if they added two more points.

1, a birth defect rider.
For obvious reasons.

2, ease adoption regulations.
It's stupid that I can adopt a foreign kid easier than an American kid.

Ease adoption regulations?
That would mean them Homer Sexuals would be able to adopt good USA bred Christian babies to further their GAY AGENDA!!! No Republican would back that publicly.

Yup, it's about as likely as liberals agreeing to put limits on abortions.

Maybe if something was in the bill about forcing insurance companies to cover birth control pills.

Nah, who am I kidding? Nobody is ever willing to compromise.

Therein lies the rub

There's money to be made on BOTH sides of any issue whether it be pro choice/anti choice, gun regulation types/NRA, conservative/liberal. People are being paid to keep the argument going. Donations to causes, lobbyists, etc. Social Media and crowdfunding just turned the dial up to eleven. So rather than trying to find common ground anymore, people are digging World War I style trenches and lobbing shots back and forth while noncombatant just watch and shake their heads.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Good , although I think it should be 16 weeks.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I don't know, I highly doubt if we could even get an estimate as to how many people would be adversely effected like this by this till after it passes. but there are stories coming out of the states, and out of the catholic hospital system telling some tales though.
you can search for you own numbers, but by what I have read, it seems that the percentage of people who claim that their abortion was because of health reasons either theirs or the fetus' just maybe be higher than that of abortions after the 20th week. and so many seem to make the same argument with them as you are trying to do now, they are so rare, we don't have to consider them...
well abortions after 20 weeks seem to be even rarer!! they are much more expensive, and are much more likely to be because of medical reasons...
and yet, that's where the pro-live seems to be most focused on.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: windword

In Denmark:

. A woman may also be granted an authorization to abort after 12 weeks if certain circumstances are proved to be present (such as poor socioeconomic condition of the woman; risk of birth defects to fetus; the pregnancy being the result of rape; mental health risk to mother).[2]

Abortion in Denmark

My point exactly - I think it would be far easier for conservative lawmakers (i.e. their constituency) to accept a wider range of post ban abortions. As it is, with abortion laws there in their opinion already is much too lenient, they will fight to limit any form of abortion.

To add perspective to (post ban) abortions in Denmark:

1)
2)
3)
Almost all late abortions is before week 20
4)
Denmark has one of *the* lowest abortion rates in the entire world (for comparison, the US abortion rate is about 60% higher than the Danish).

In Denmark at least the week 12 ban is a win for everyone.

Denmark also allows all women access to prenatal care no matter their financial situation.
That makes a HUGE difference.
edit on 4-10-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Painterz
a reply to: Edumakated

Abortion isn't used as birth control though.

And late term abortions are traumatic for women, and only done as last resorts in desperate situations.

And it's very VERY easy to get pregnant even when correctly using birth control. Please educate yourself on all of the very many ways in which birth control can fail. It is not as you say 'practically impossible'.

Abortion is used as birth control. All one has to do is look at the number of abortions performed to know that is the case.

It is not easy to get pregnant unless you simply aren't using birth control. Skeeting on a THOT's tramp stamp is not birth control.

The number of abortions performed does not provide any data at all on why those abortions were performed. Your conclusion is completely false.

Have you ever spoken to a single woman who has had a late term abortion? Do you think any of them would have said 'Oh yeah, birth control, LOL!'

No. Of course not.

And here's some reasons why birth control can fail for you, again, please educate yourself:

Birth Control Failure Rates

To save you clicking, 9 out of 100 couples using the pill will get pregnant in a year. (There are a lot of things that can interfere with it, a course of antibiotics, other pills. Stress. Etc.)

18/100 couples using condoms will statistically get pregnant. (The perfect use failure rate is only 2%, but many guys don't use them right.)

It is very easy to get pregnant even when using birth control responsibly.

From your own source... the most common reason a condom fails... drumroll.

"The most common reason that condoms "fail" is that the couple fails to use one at all"

Yes, you read that right. Your source says the most common reason a condom fails is because it wasn't used! LOL. GTFOH.

As I stated, it is difficult to get pregnant USING birth control. Forgetting to put on a jimmy hat one time is not using birth control regardless if you used one before.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's interesting how most of the places that want to ban abortion in the country also don't like teaching sex education to kids. Then these same people yell about how not using condoms causes all these abortions and the couple should have known to use protection. Lol.
edit on 4-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Yes, you read that right. Your source says the most common reason a condom fails is because it wasn't used! LOL. GTFOH.

You have to use it?
I thought you just buy one and keep it in your wallet for 30 years.
That explains my four children.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Exactly. They may be rare but they have to be considered. I thought I read in the source that there WAS provision for medical issues. Am I wrong about that?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Wrong.

An abortion can be performed after 12 weeks if the woman's life or health are in danger A woman may also be granted an authorization to abort after 12 weeks if certain circumstances are proved to be present (such as poor socioeconomic condition of the woman; risk of birth defects to fetus; the pregnancy being the result of rape; mental health risk to mother).[

Their law is lot more lenient than the one being proposed right now.

I thought you conservatives wanted smaller government that doesn't intrude in the personal life of its citizens!

The decision to have an abortion is between a woman and her doctor. Not government counsel needed.

edit on 4-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Also proving how rare of a gift pregnancy really is.

Pregnancy? Or the actual birth of a human being?

Pregnancy? Not really much of a miracle.

Didn't call it a miracle, called it a gift.

People can decide if they like the gift or not

Awesome. I call it a natural consequence that is usually rejected by the woman's BODY before she even knows about it.

To me, it's a matter of random chance and evolution; to some, the very hand of God in action.

Different strokes, eh?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It's interesting how most of the places that want to ban abortion in the country also don't like teaching sex education to kids. Then these same people yell about how not using condoms causes all these abortions and the couple should have known to use protection. Lol.

Not to mention, the resistance to providing financial support to children's healthcare, food clothing and shelter.

What was it Jesus said? "Suffer the little ones ... "?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

it has "to save the live of the mother"..
nothing about any fetal abnormalities.
and nothing about preventing a serious condition progressing to the point when it is actually endangering the life of the mother, or affecting her internal organs, ect...

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I live in "churchville" indiana
My 15 yr old daughter has had sex ed classes since around 2nd grade.
That and she can read the instruction label.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join