It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes 20 week abortion ban.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Why wasn't this done in 2001 thru 2008 when the Republicans controlled all three branches of government?

My theory is Republicans did not want to lose their best wedge issue for getting out the vote.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
***channelling my inner Bill Hicks***

Good, so "if" this passes, I think everyone should just start leaving their unwanted children on the doorsteps of politicians. They wanted them to have the kid so bad, they can raise them.

I find it appalling that the pro life crowd is so adamant to protect fetuses, and then all of a sudden once they're born.... that's it. They're off the love list. Screw em if they're homeless, in poverty, uneducated, etc. On top of that, condone wars that send all of these people to die. (I would call that a "late-term abortion")

Sorry, but if you don't give a damn about said fetus once it grows into a person, you really need to stop pretending that your values are to protect life at all costs, that you have some sort of moral high ground.

You're not pro life, you're pro birth

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Good.

Also, nice slippery-slope laced rant in the OP. It lacked just enough logic to be amusing instead of frustrating.

But be real, it's not going to go anywhere, so it's a moot point that is just going to create 18 pages of nonsensical, emotional rantings from two extreme sides.

Enjoy the beast that you've birthed on ATS!

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Great, if it passes (which it won't) into law we'll have yet another judicial decision backing up Roe v. Wade.

Awesome!

The Congressional and Executive branches are MORE powerful than the Judicial branch of government. Republicans can pass a law making Roe v. Wade irrelevant is the way I understand it.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Great, if it passes (which it won't) into law we'll have yet another judicial decision backing up Roe v. Wade.

Awesome!

What are you talking about "if it passes", it already did. I don't know why you are saying it wont pass. Also this is nowhere near a Roe VS Wade.

link   
a reply to: kurthall

Women seeking late term abortion due so, not because they got into a fight with their baby daddy, or lost their job, they do so because they got a dire diagnosis. These are women who wanted their babies. These are women whose pregnancies place their health at risk, and whose fetus are have some disease, that may or may not be compatible with life.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Why wasn't this done in 2001 thru 2008...

2006. And they didn't have enough Senate votes then either.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Tha house has passed a bill that would ban abortion after 20 weeks, with exceptions in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the woman.

Ban abortions after 20 weeks?
Ridiculous.

In ultra liberal Denmark the ban is at 12 weeks, and no one argues that it should be more. I find it hard to wrap my head around how a generally much more conservative country like the US can have so lax abortion laws.

It would make more sense (to me) if the House was passing a bill limiting abortions to 12 weeks *down* from 20 weeks.

And frankly I think everyone would be better off - conservatives would look more kindly on medical abortions if the abortion laws themselves were that much stricter, and likely the social stigma of having had an abortion performed on no medical basis would lessen.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

In Denmark:

. A woman may also be granted an authorization to abort after 12 weeks if certain circumstances are proved to be present (such as poor socioeconomic condition of the woman; risk of birth defects to fetus; the pregnancy being the result of rape; mental health risk to mother).[2]

Abortion in Denmark

link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Fetus @20 Weeks:

Abortion doctors are truly disgusting awful people.

Looking at you Gosnell.

en.wikipedia.org...

link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

1.3% of abortions occur after the 20th week.
in one survey asking for the reason for their abortion
3% stated it was because of fetal health problems
while 4% stated it was because of the mother's health problems.

while we keeps hearing from the pro life crowd that the number of abortions that are related to the health problems of the mother or fetus are insignificant....
there does seem to be a much larger number of them than there is abortions that occurs after the 20th week.. which they find so significant that most of the laws they direct is toward that time period.
and I am sorry, but if someone goes 6, 7, or 8 months through a pregnancy, it seems to be rather unlikely that they are aborting it then because of "convenience"!!! the ones for convenience is happening at a much earlier time!

sorry, but I tend to lean towards the belief that most of those done after the 20 week period in in that small group that are doing so because of health related issues, either within the mother, or the fetus. and, I would say that it is more important for them to have access to abortion, or early delivery if possible, at any stage of the pregnancy than rape or incest would be... both of which would have enough time in most cases to be detected and taken care of earlier in the pregnancy... unless it is a very young child we are talking about, then what can I say, young children don't really understand what might be happening in their bodies, might be having to deal with threats from their adult abusers, ect.

if abortion isn't recognized for it's real advantages in the healthcare field... ie, preventing illness, reducing suffering, eliminating risk of death... then all we have is abortion as a tool of convenience.
and this law, like so many others seems to want to remove that aspect from the abortion debate.

by the way, I find it doubtful it will pass through the senate also.

edit on 4-10-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The most ridiculous part of this Bill is its pseudo science basis of "fetal pain capability".

Legislatures want to ban abortion because the fetus may feel pain before it dies. That's not true, because pain is a cognitive brain function, but even if was true, how about pain killers for the fetus? What about the pain the deformed fetus will feel during labor, after it's born?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Okay, I'm trying to wrap my head around this one...

Why do people who self-identify as conservative hate abortion BUT complain about "welfare Moms" who have kids to "get more welfare and aid"?
Seems oxymoronic to me.
You would think that they would want the laws more lax or even offer free abortions to those on state aid.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Abortion rates have continued to go down every year. Abortions past 20 weeks only account for about 1.3% of total abortions.

Most of the time, women get them that late due to the mother's life becoming endangered, or the discovery of severe birth defects that don't show up until around 18-20 weeks.

This is just pandering to the base while forcing women to have babies that live short miserable lives of total suffering.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Once again TAT, your sig... perfect.

edit on 4-10-2017 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm totally fine with this if they added two more points.

1, a birth defect rider.
For obvious reasons.

2, ease adoption regulations.
It's stupid that I can adopt a foreign kid easier than an American kid.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

catholic hospitals are already allowed to send miscarrying women away from their doorstep, or let them lay in a bed in agony till the heartbeat stops and their bodies have become infected...
this bill would make such practice the law of the land if were to pass!!

and so what, how many threads do we have on ATS already trying to make the LV shooting into a liberal radical??

maybe I needed a distraction from that nonsense!

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The Senate kills millions of babies?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Painterz
a reply to: Edumakated

Abortion isn't used as birth control though.

And late term abortions are traumatic for women, and only done as last resorts in desperate situations.

And it's very VERY easy to get pregnant even when correctly using birth control. Please educate yourself on all of the very many ways in which birth control can fail. It is not as you say 'practically impossible'.

Abortion is used as birth control. All one has to do is look at the number of abortions performed to know that is the case.

It is not easy to get pregnant unless you simply aren't using birth control. ..snipped..

The number of abortions performed does not provide any data at all on why those abortions were performed. Your conclusion is completely false.

Have you ever spoken to a single woman who has had a late term abortion? Do you think any of them would have said 'Oh yeah, birth control, LOL!'

No. Of course not.

And here's some reasons why birth control can fail for you, again, please educate yourself:

Birth Control Failure Rates

To save you clicking, 9 out of 100 couples using the pill will get pregnant in a year. (There are a lot of things that can interfere with it, a course of antibiotics, other pills. Stress. Etc.)

18/100 couples using condoms will statistically get pregnant. (The perfect use failure rate is only 2%, but many guys don't use them right.)

It is very easy to get pregnant even when using birth control responsibly.

edit on Wed Oct 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Enjoy the beast that you've birthed on ATS!

... that you're feeding ...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join