It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we shocked ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: openyourmind1262

The problem is getting actual guns in your hands automatic rifles for f#s sake enable you to kill 100 in a minute if they stand close enough together. How many people can you kill with a video game?
One maybe if you build a shiv out of the DVD...

Anybody else thinks that given the time and the arsenal the body count was low ????

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

If mass gun ownership made people somehow want to pop off and kill everyone they saw, then the US would be far more violent than it is and you wouldn't be able to isolate most of the gun crimes into very specific zip codes like you can.

Gun ownership is not a white/black, urban/rural, rich/poor thing here, so those guns are going to be pretty widely and evenly distributed all across society ... unlike they crimes you think they (the guns) are somehow responsible for forcing people to commit.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
So , you are one of those folks , huh ?
Video games and television are the root of all evil ?
Evil cant exist without them ?
You forgot money.

edit on 10/4/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
You forgot money.

Nah, they're not the root of all evil, but I don't think they're going to help if you have no other bearing on your moral compass when it's tuning.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
You are right...it's not gun control we should be worried about it is "parental" control

Some people should only have goldfish and not children since children are not flushable when you get tired of them.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You forgot money.

Nah, they're not the root of all evil, but I don't think they're going to help if you have no other bearing on your moral compass when it's tuning.

I guess I am just biased.

50+ - check - I am not saying my true age

Watch TV - check

Gamer - check - not the little weak crap you get on phones and kid's consoles (40+years) . The original Doom was supposed to make me a demon..24 years ago. Still waiting for that one

Money - check - maybe not as much as I would like to have - but who wouldnt want more ? I just dont care about power though

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You forgot money.

Watch TV - check

Gamer - check - not the little weak crap you get on phones and kid's consoles (40+years) . The original Doom was supposed to make me a demon..24 years ago. Still waiting for that one

Money - check - maybe not as much as I would like to have - but who wouldnt want more ? I just dont care about power though

I'm not terribly dissimilar than you only about 10 years younger.

But where we likely differ from some of the people I am referring to are in the influences from others that shaped our lives. We likely had parents our other good role models super involved in our lives and shaping our moral compasses a lot more than the movies we watched or the games we played.

In other words, we had enough good upbringing to know better than to let those things be more than a very peripheral influence on our lives.
edit on 4-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

You forgot money.

Watch TV - check

I'm not terribly dissimilar than you only about 10 years younger.

But where we likely differ from some of the people I am referring to are in the influences from others that shaped our lives. We likely had parents our other good role models super involved in our lives and shaping our moral compasses a lot more than the movies we watched or the games we played.

In other words, we had enough good upbringing to know better than to let those things be more than a very peripheral influence on our lives.

Yes , that does play a part .
I think the ability to separate reality from media is the key .
Folks pay way to much attention to such
Examples of the "Wizard's First Rule" - Zed - from the book of the same name by Terry Goodkind

People need an enemy to feel a sense of purpose. It's easy to lead people when they have a sense of purpose. Sense of purpose is more important by far than the truth. In fact, truth has no bearing in this.

Wizard's First Rule

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
But we watch all these shoot'em up bang bang movies & video games. I mean damn folks in John Wick 1 Keanu Reeves character kills 77 people. In John Wick II his character kills 128. We are fans of this shat? Jack Reacher 1 & II he kills without feeling. Almost every movie that comes out is a shoot'em up bang bang movie. Almost all video games are war, fighting games, kill'em kil'lem all games.

And Hollywood provides us with what we ask for.

If we were not spending our money on this type of material, Hollywood would not be making it. The trick for all of them is to get us to part with our money. The greatest grift of all time is the convincing of people that they are powerless and have no control of their lives.

You control what you spend your money on. You keep feeding the beast, it will continue to grow in size and in its demands. Want to get rid of the beast? Stop feeding it.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Why are we always looking to place blame somewhere? Blame the TV,
the movies, the video games, rock music, drugs, the Devil, religion,
Karma, and of course guns.

Cain didn't have any of that.
edit on Rpm100517v36201700000055 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

No Cain had a big arse rock.....then according to the book of lies.....he lied. Who were the people in the wilderness that he feared so much .....if in fact he and his bro & mom & dad were all the people they were. And whether you realize it or not...somebody was bumping ugly with their moma. Or the entire damn story is just a imagination from some old writers mind. I'll buy the latter.
edit on 10-10-2017 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
At 47 years old and the mom of 3 great kiddos, I'm a huge gamer and have been since I got the original Pong console for Christmas that year it came out. Doom, Mortal Kombat, RPG's and MMO's and pretty much all in-between. I've played D&D for decades and one of my kids has started her own D&D group as well. I listen to all sorts of music, but the music I always go back to is thrash metal and death metal. I love explosions and action in movies. Always have since I was a kid and always will. Yep, comic geek too. I have shelves and shelves of Transformers figurines.

Someone mentioned above that people who aren't adversely affected by violent media have stable lives to balance it out.

Well, that would not be me. My father was an abusive alcoholic. An all around nasty man that took his rage out on myself and my mother. Took the paychecks and disappeared with them to spend on other women and left us without food quite often.

My mom became a heavy drinker and moved from guy to guy constantly, leaving me never sure where we'd end up next. During these shuffling periods, I had some experiences that no child should ever have to endure.

My grandfather was also a drinker and would become an alcoholic over the years until depression claimed him and he shot himself. Alcoholism runs in both sides of my family. I don't drink now and haven't touched any since my mid-20's. Life experience taught me all I need to know about what would probably happen to me if I did.

Suffice to say, my life growing up was turbulent and often stressful. Media like books, games, movies and music gave me an outlet and an escape. It certainly didn't propel me forward into some psychopathic murderer.

Media didn't shape my life. My own life experiences in my family did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join