It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Las Vegas Strip shooter prescribed anti-anxiety drug in June

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

I am frankly AMAZED that in the last two days of all the threads and discussions I have seen online (not just ATS) that NOT EVEN ONCE have I seen a comment floating the possibility that Paddock was on psychotropics. In fact, its highly unusual that to my knowledge no one has brought this angle to the table before this humble thread. I am in fact extremely surprised that even the man himself, Alex Jones, had nothing to say on it in any of the clips of his I watched and listened to. I'm not saying that neither he nor anyone else mentioned this, only that I personally have not seen it.

So here we go: another deadly rampage POSSIBLY and perhaps even PROBABLY fueled in part by psychotropic meds Paddock was prescribed.

From the article.

Paddock was hooked on LEGAL DRUGS

Records from the Nevada Prescription Monitoring Program obtained Tuesday show Paddock was prescribed 50 10-milligram diazepam tablets by Henderson physician Dr. Steven Winkler on June 21.

So that is at least ONE (1) 10MG pill per day for 50 days.

But wait it gets better (or worse depending)

Later in the article it says this!

The Nevada state monitoring report also noted that Winkler prescribed 50 10-milligram tablets of diazepam to Paddock in 2016. He also filled that prescription the day it was written, this time at Evergreen Drugs in Henderson. It was for two tablets a day..

TWO tablets a day for 20 MILLIGRAMS of valium per day. That is a HUGE amount.

I've personally known people who have taken MUCH LESS, like 5 milligrams a day and gone cold turkey from that dosage and almost gone crazy with the brain zaps, dissociative personality, etc. It is really a rough ride and I will NEVER FORGET Artie Lang, former co host of the Howard Stern show and avid drug user by his own admission, saying once that going through withdrawal from Benzos was excruciating.

"Benzo Hell"

The Daily Nightmare of Benzo Withdrawal

There are calls from all quarters to have a "conversation" about gun control, which is fine, lets talk about guns....

BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE FREAKIN BIG PHARMA ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM FIRST?!?!?!?!

Thats right....Big Pharma off the hook again.

unless...Trump?

Please stop spreading bad info.

Valium is used for MULTIPLE different reasons and is not always prescribed for anxiety.

In fact, docs rarely prescribe it for anxiety anymore because drugs like Ativan and Xanax work much better as anxiolytics than Valium does.

They are all in the same class/family of drugs (benzodiazipines), however, they all have a different effect, treat different medical issues and ailments. Valium's uses include, but are not limited to, seizures, muscle spasms, pain, gastro-intestinal issues, vertigo, tinnitus, alcohol withdrawal and anxiety.

There is ZERO evidence in your post that he abused his prescription and leads me to believe he used it appropriately and as needed, for whatever it is he was taking it for.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Thank you for sharing that, I'm sorry you've gone through so much. I understand all too well.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It has been reported that he was prescribed valium for sleep problems and high blood pressure which issues meant his pilots licence had not been renewed this year. Valium is a sedative and is often prescribed for such problems. Long term use and abuse can cause issues but the guy was only prescribed it in June this year

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

no, read the article again. Its confusing because they cite his renewed prescription for june of this year BUT later in the article they mention his doc had given him a script in 2016 for 20 milligrams a day and then LOWERED it to 10 mgs a day as of June 2017. If this is accurate it would mean his doctor was decreasing his allowed dosage and what i was saying is that because of the very fast tolerance most people build to benzos cutting his dose in half over less than a year might have been too drastic for him considering all the other issues he was clearly dealing with.

im not saying this was the straw that broke the camels back, but it would be foolish to not include the role of drugs known to cause serious mental and emotional issues from the discussion.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

Symptomatic Relief in Acute Alcohol Withdrawal. 10 mg, 3 or 4 times during the first 24 hours, reducing to 5 mg, 3 or 4 times daily as needed

He looks like someone who likes to drink a little too much. He was probably trying to shake it, and I would figure that if he indeed met that girlfriend earlier this year, maybe he thought it was time to step down further.
edit on 5/10/17 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
OMG check your ego, am out of this thread because I just cant focus on the posts thinking about all, I mean ALL the places across the net and even here where the issue of meds come up. Wow.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

A couple of things just in general about Valium from a strict medical perspective

10 mg twice a day is actually an appropriate dose if given for anxiety. The dose prescribed will also reflect the average size of a person. Thus you may not prescribe 10 mg every 6-12 hours to say someone weighting 50 kg, but a full grown adult (our shooter looked about 90-100kg) the dose is correct. The 24 hour max can be as high as 90mg Typically they start on the higher end then taper down over time.

That being said most of my experience with Valium is in pediatrics. We prefer other benzos like versed or ativan because the duration of action of its antiseizure effects are a longer percentage than its respiratory depression effects thus more advantageous for seizure treatment

edit on 10/5/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice

He looks like someone who likes to drink a little too much. He was probably trying to shake it, and I would figure that if he indeed met that girlfriend earlier this year, maybe he thought it was time to step down further.

Typically if you being treated for acute alcohol withdrawal your going to be in a major hospital. Because the withdrawal itself can be life threatening.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
We don't know if he actually ingested this medication. He could have sold it on the black market to keep up his gambling expenses or maybe he never even had the medication to begin with. What if this is a tool to be used to tie medication request to a verification of firearms ownership. As it is right now, my son went for a physical at his doctor's office and in the middle of all those wellness questions they barraged him with, the dr. asked him if his dad has ever taken him hunting. My son told him he should ask me all about it, especially since I was in the room. Clearly fishing for gun ownership or at least something to mark in the file.
What if this news about prescriptions is simply to help get more governance in place. Again, we do not really know from our front-row armchairs perspectives.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Are guns the issue or mental health ?

Sane people don't murder other people, as has been shown if they don't have a gun they can and do use vehicles once they lose it.

I want to ask a question, if person is on prescribed drugs and they run out; could that broken dependency lead to psychotic breakdown ?

Although it seems he was planning this for a long time, so suddenly coming off doesn't seem to be the issue.

This reminds me of this movie scene when it comes to undesirable reactions of prescribed drugs to the general population.
Hyperbolic example sure, but the point stands.

edit on 6-10-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
Are guns the issue or mental health ?

Sane people don't murder other people, as has been shown if they don't have a gun they can and do use vehicles once they lose it.

I want to ask a question, if person is on prescribed drugs and they run out; could that broken dependency lead to psychotic breakdown ?

Although it seems he was planning this for a long time, so suddenly coming off doesn't seem to be the issue.

This reminds me of this movie scene when it comes to undesirable reactions of prescribed drugs to the general population.
Hyperbolic example sure, but the point stands.

Both are the problem, both guns and people.

What's convenient is that anyone on any type of drug that commits a violent act will have it justified with " oh he was an addict, that's how addicts behave "

This thread is a major fail.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I'd find out how many people take this anxiety drug, and how many people taking it have gone on a murder killing spree. If they try to make this into a thing, the next target will be anyone with anxiety problems being equal to a crazy killer kinda thing.

I think somebody's setting up democracy for a massive fall. When democracy falls, there won't be anyone left.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Wow now this is a big revelation as I know what Diazepam does to you.

I suffer from severe anxiety and depression so I experimented with a quarter of a 5 MG tablet to calm me and consulted my aunt ( a qualified health and clinical psychologist) and her voice was quivering as she spoke. She told me it was highly addictive and the side effects were bad, and boy was she right. Hours after I took a the quarter tablet my body was almost seizing up-after a quarter tablet.

I told her of the other drugs I've been prescribed like Zoloft, paroxeteine etc and she pretty much said nope. I then told her that I thought psychiatrists were using me as a big pharma guinea pig, she didn't have words-all that came out of her mouth was 'mmmm hmmm.' that noise she made sounded like and acknowledgment, not a query.

If true this changes a lot-it means we should be looking into big pharma just as much as TPTB are looking into gun laws.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join